Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Seaports in the Moon by Vincent Starrett (1928)
Jog Rummage by Grahame Wright (1974)
They're both in SF&F magazine's Curiosities column:

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/dcuriosities.htm

Last edited by BenG; 04-30-2008 at 07:15 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #32
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Well it was suggested already in this thread that someone would come up with a Tibetan text so here goes.

It is the Lam Tso Nam Sum by Je Tsonkapa (1357-1419). It is a summary of a summary and is called the Three Principle Paths. It is only 14 verses but I am referring to the oral commentary on the verses made by Pabongka Rinpoche around 1920 and taken down by Rinpoches students, one of whom was Ken Rinpoche who fled Tibet in 1959 and passed away a few years ago in the U.S.A.

A marvelous little book and a clear and concise overview of Tibetan Buddhism.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #33
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
'My Past' by Countess Marie Larisch. (London: Eveleigh Nash. 1913.)
She was the go-between in the Mayerling affair, when the Crown Prince of Austria committed suicide after murdering his mistress. It was also a source for T S Eliot's 'The Waste Land' (which was why I bought it in 1976. It cost 75p). My copy has a sticker marked 'Ex libris Eugène, Vicomte di Villa.'

I've also got any number of books on obscure forms of needlework (Dresden embroidery, The ex-queen of Rumania's book of tatting, etc.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #34
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
A few years ago I picked up The Visualized World History at my university's annual used book sale. It's a handbook-sized world history textbook published in 1946 with some spectacularly uncouth ethnic illustrations.

I've also got an early edition of Okakura's The Book of Tea what was lent to me by a friend, though to preserve the crumbly binding I read the FeedBooks version (which was another delightful first).

Last edited by Danny Fekete; 05-01-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #35
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
a book by Djuro Viloic called "Three hours" 1939

"Marked" by František Hampl,1940
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #36
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fekete View Post
I've also got an early edition of Okakura's The Book of Tea what was lent to me by a friend, though to preserve the crumbly binding I read the FeedBooks version (which was another delightful first).
We've also got it in our book uploads section; also 'The Ideals of the East' by the same author.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
We've also got it in our book uploads section; also 'The Ideals of the East' by the same author.
I've noticed! Thank you, Patricia.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We also have "The Book of Cheese", too, of course!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sadly it doesn't appear to be available as an e-Book, but I've always felt that "How to Find and Have Fun with Seaweed" by Rose Treat (ISBN 1887734007) deserves to be better known .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been looking everywhere for my copy of The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bloody Obvious.

Say, since there are only seven copies in existence, would Tales of Beedle the Bard qualify as "obscure?" Not that I have a copy, you understand, I ask only for my own edification.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #41
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Although it is currently considered to be politically incorrect in the US today, I have "The Complete Works of Uncle Remus" and can even read it aloud. However it does take me a while to take my mind and tongue back to youthful memories.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #42
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

why isn't it completely correct?

natch-it could,if it wouldn't be a "new" set,like Rowling's.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
why isn't it completely correct?
It carries a lot of politically incorrect baggage: specifically, it portrays slavery in the "American" South in terms that aren't totally condemnatory, that would be enough, but it actually shows slaves as having some decent quality of life.

That isn't a defense of it, just an answer to the question, so please don't sic the PC Police on me.

Wiki has a decent write up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Remus

Quote:
natch-it could,if it wouldn't be a "new" set,like Rowling's.
Oh, I didn't realize we were limiting to old stuff, okay then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #44
Lobolover
Gorosei

I said "old and forgoten" in another post,I mean it in case of limited editions.You can't realy call Rowling's "money maker" 7 handwriten books fairy tales-series as "obscure", especialy with the price.Women has more money then the queen and sets out to make only a "few" EXTRA milion to give to charity.yay.

and in the second case-Cline's "The dark chamber" would be to,but for the mastery of it's horror fantasy (relating to a black person's "tribe",when a black girl wept in the night,he wrote "wouldn't bother with it otherwise,knowing her kind,I'd smile and go to sleep-and then,when the black people leave the house have them steal the silver (which under the circumstances is belieavable,seeing as their "master" druged her litle girl with cocaine and all))
Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #45
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
I said "old and forgoten" in another post,I mean it in case of limited editions.You can't realy call Rowling's "money maker" 7 handwriten books fairy tales-series as "obscure", especialy with the price.Women has more money then the queen and sets out to make only a "few" EXTRA milion to give to charity.yay.

and in the second case-Cline's "The dark chamber" would be to,but for the mastery of it's horror fantasy (relating to a black person's "tribe",when a black girl wept in the night,he wrote "wouldn't bother with it otherwise,knowing her kind,I'd smile and go to sleep-and then,when the black people leave the house have them steal the silver (which under the circumstances is belieavable,seeing as their "master" druged her litle girl with cocaine and all))
I really do not see the point of this thread going on if all your going to to his deride others submissions. Perhaps you should have titled this thread:

The most obscure books you have that meet my definition of obscure and if they don't I will provide snarky comments.

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 05-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote