Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #346
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
Question for all you romance book fans...

Have any of you read the 50 Shades of Grey books? Was going to try them out with the audio books, but every review by readers I read said that the 1st book was lame, and sorry they wasted their money. People mentioned the dialogue was sophomoric, certain stupid phrases used over and over, and the guy was a pompus jerk...
I have a high threshold for mediocre ... yet i couldn't even finish the download of the sample. Taste may vary, so I can't speak for all. I didn't like the sample, but you can download the sample chapters at amazon and see if you like it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #347
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I just finished Lakota Surrender (it was free earlier this month in this thread). Wall to wall a great read!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #348
BombayMixx
BombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle
50 Shades of...when is the action going to kick in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I have a high threshold for mediocre ... yet i couldn't even finish the download of the sample. Taste may vary, so I can't speak for all. I didn't like the sample, but you can download the sample chapters at amazon and see if you like it.
I have finally started it and I must admit, I'm not really impressed so far.

I'm not an erotica fan and I got the book for my birthday (what to get an author for their birthday??? A book?! Bless my sister in law! lol) but the beginning goes into too much unnecessary detail on everything and it feels like the action will never get started!

I must admit, I am impatient, so for some readers that might be what they want but I will give it another two chapters and if it's still the same, I might just quit.
BombayMixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #349
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The first book should be renamed 50 Shades of I Want My Life Back that I Wasted Reading this Garbage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #350
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I just finished Lakota Surrender (it was free earlier this month in this thread). Wall to wall a great read!
Can't wait to start this one!

Thank you all that gave me your input on the 50 Shades of book. I won't bother to get it, but do wonder why some people are raving about it, as it's the top bought books on Amazon ebook list for quite a while...
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #351
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Today Only At DANL!

Quote:
A blue moon occurs when there’s a second full moon in one calendar month. What a better way to close out our August summer sale than with another one-day sale in honor of the blue moon occurring this month.

We are offering 25% off all werewolves and shapeshifter books in celebration of this event. Enter coupon code “BLUEMOON” when you check out from the cart to receive your discount.

This coupon code is only valid on Friday, August 31, and cannot be combined with any other offers.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #352
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Have any of you read the 50 Shades of Grey books? Was going to try them out with the audio books, but every review by readers I read said that the 1st book was lame, and sorry they wasted their money. People mentioned the dialogue was sophomoric, certain stupid phrases used over and over, and the guy was a pompus jerk...
Please check out the 50 Shades thread in the General discussion area of the forum. There are two of them. I talk alot about these books in them. I have read all three and I can say I didn't like book one at all, Book Two was better and Book three lost steam and had no plot. Save your money.

The audio versions are messed up. They took the girl's voice pitch and brought it down to a masculine level and called it remastered.

The original one which I checked out from my library sounded soooo much like a younger woman who just got out of college and would be stupid enough to endure all that mess.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #353
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayMixx View Post
I have finally started it and I must admit, I'm not really impressed so far.

I'm not an erotica fan and I got the book for my birthday (what to get an author for their birthday??? A book?! Bless my sister in law! lol) but the beginning goes into too much unnecessary detail on everything and it feels like the action will never get started!

I must admit, I am impatient, so for some readers that might be what they want but I will give it another two chapters and if it's still the same, I might just quit.
I warn you it's one of slowest moving stories I've ever read. The only reason I was able to stick with was it was being read to me. The real story doesn't start til book two.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #354
BombayMixx
BombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toysBombayMixx shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I warn you it's one of slowest moving stories I've ever read. The only reason I was able to stick with was it was being read to me. The real story doesn't start til book two.
Blossom, I'm not even sure I can make it to the end of book 1, let alone use all of my patience to check out book 2! lol

It is a little scary that even the audio version doesn't help it though
BombayMixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #355
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

FREE:

The Wedding Necklace by Adrianne Lee
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Former Title: Something Borrowed, Something Blue
Former Publisher: Harlequin Intrigue (1994)

With This Kiss by Victoria Lynne
Genre: Historical Victorian Romance
Former Publisher: Dell (1999)

A Legal Affair by Bobby Hutchinson
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Former Publisher: Harlequin Temptation (1991)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #356
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayMixx View Post
Blossom, I'm not even sure I can make it to the end of book 1, let alone use all of my patience to check out book 2! lol

It is a little scary that even the audio version doesn't help it though
Well the audio version was just fine till they changed pitch on the narrator's voice. She normally does children's book so she's read a bit energetic but I thought she did a great job before they messed her up. There's only so much you can do with the material given to you to read.

Last night I finished two books I really wanted to stop reading but seeing I bought them I made myself trudge through them.

One was the Officer Says I do. Those of you who grab this as a selection I can say skip it. This book was really a waste of my time. The writing is okay, it's just there's nothing happening in the book. Where is the conflict other than putting other people in a negative light that wasn't like her. It made the heroine look snobbish. I found the heroine selfish and just not likable. The hero seemed honor bound to stay with her because he was just so over the top nice! No alpha there. I can truly say this was the first romance I have read where I cringed at the sex scenes. They are just so awkwardly written and no chemistry between the two characters so I actually wanted to skim through them! The author used adjectives that are just not sexy and sometimes seemed to be used in the wrong context. This is not your typical military romance either. I will not be reading book two although I think Madison who is the next heroine was the best character out of the book.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #357
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:

This is the reason why I have them on my wishlist at the library. Eventually if I get in the mood to read them, I'll check them out. Bad word of mouth makes me less eager to spend money on them.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #358
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Doooooonnnnn`ttttt spend a dime!
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote