Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
colordict translation dictionaries question

Right now I'm testing out the colordict foreign language dictionaries which can be used with some Android eReaders. Loading a Spanish text, I have tried looking up words with the Spanish-English dictionary: it is not able to recognize conjugated verb forms. In my experience using translation dictionaries with my pc, when I click on a conjugated verb, the dictionary deduces the infinitive form and gives a definition, but colordict returns "no results found" for anything but a verb which is already in the infinitive.

Does anyone know if there are translation dictionaries available for colordict which can deal with conjugated verbs? Or is there another android application I might want to look into which can be integrated into an ereader and useful for translation when reading texts in a foreign language?

I notice that EZpdf reader also has an option to access "web" as well as "colordict" when clicking on a word, but the only options it gives me for "web" are my web browsers. Would be nice if it could access Google Translate or something like that as well.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by sovre; 02-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
Does anyone know if there are translation dictionaries available for colordict which can deal with conjugated verbs?
Colordict supports the StarDict format, which is very similar to the Babylon format. In fact, StarDict editor can read .bgl Babylon dictionaries and convert them to the StarDict input format.
Both Babylon and StarDict support inflections. I.e. they'll find "go" when you look up "went" and "mouse" if you look up "mice."
However, this only works if the dictionary author actually defined these inflections (most free StarDict dictionaries don't contain them, but most Babylon .bgl files do).
To test whether a StarDict/Babylon dictionary contains inflections, decompile it with the free StarDict editor, which comes with StarDict, and open the source file in a text editor.
If you see a pipe symbol | followed by variants of the same entry, the dictionary contains inflections. Otherwise it'll only find the headword.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert