Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
klaatubar
klaatubar began at the beginning.

Device: sony reade/Iliad
Reader/ Iliad , i bought them both

for var. reasons I bought them both.

the Iliad lets me buy and read books from var webstores in var languages and I liked the look and feel of the Reader. Its just more compact and in my opinion looks better.

My main problem with the Reader is that it only lasted for 4 weeks, then the screen died. Thats when you realize what it means to buy a Sony..

The Sony stylestore staff pointed out that my Reader not working was very sad but not their problem as I didnt bring it back withing 30 days after purchase but after 36 and therefore they couldn't help me.
I guess thats why it is called style store, the staff looked as good as my reader in their black suits and they were about as useful as it is right now..
It was interesting though that I wasn't the only person in the shop with defect Readers , the lady next to me tried to return hers as it died after two weeks.

Ill keep everybody posted on how easy / difficult a replacement will be but my first experiences made me glad I also bought an Iliad

The iliad is still doing fine, the battery life is much shorter then the Sony's but I knew that before, its much bigger and bulkier but maybe that helps keeping it alive.

Whilst the Iliad cradle thing is total nonsense and the most unpractical thing ever , the Iliad itself is totally easy to use and it is no problem whatsoever to transfer files and books.

So my fazit so far is that if you want some cool looking gadget that might or might not work and some horrible service experience then go for the Reader.

If you just want to have a pleasurable e book experience then go for the Iliad.

it might be more expensive and not as sexy but it works . .
klaatubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sorry to hear about that, klaatubar, do please keep us posted as to what happens, we have a great deal of interest in that topic around here (Welcome to MobileRead, BTW).

Have you been talking to the Sony Support folks directly, then?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatubar View Post
for var. reasons I bought them both.

the Iliad lets me buy and read books from var webstores in var languages and I liked the look and feel of the Reader. Its just more compact and in my opinion looks better.

My main problem with the Reader is that it only lasted for 4 weeks, then the screen died. Thats when you realize what it means to buy a Sony..

The Sony stylestore staff pointed out that my Reader not working was very sad but not their problem as I didnt bring it back withing 30 days after purchase but after 36 and therefore they couldn't help me.
You have it all wrong here...

The 30 days is for a return to the SonyStyle Store. You still have a warranty on the Sony Reader. You need to contact Sony to get it fixed under warranty. So give Sony a call. The Customer Care number for the reader is 1-866-962-7669.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
klaatubar

No, i got that, i sent it off to Sony. I just find the lack of care outrageous, i would understand if they had told me the same if id gone there in 3 month but the fact that they lose interest six days after their commitment is over is just wrong .

Anyway, doesn't matter, i am now eagerly awaiting their response to my warranty claim.

ill keep everyone posted.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Anyway, doesn't matter, i am now eagerly awaiting their response to my warranty claim.

ill keep everyone posted.
Good luck!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead.

Sorry your Sony Reader died on you. I don't think that's typical, based upon the responses here, but sometimes it does happen.

How are you enjoying the iliad?

Did you buy both units at the same time, or after the Sony died on you?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I think like most retail places, it depends on the store management. Not sure where you're located, but the Sony Style store in Cincinnati has been pretty good to me and the manager there is a nice guy, he probably would have bent the rules a little for a 36 day return. I'm sure Sony customer service will take care of it for you, albeit with the loss of your Reader for a few weeks.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
You guys need to work on your state legislature a bit harder. By law here all items sold to consumers have to have a minimum of 90 days guarantee
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
You guys need to work on your state legislature a bit harder. By law here all items sold to consumers have to have a minimum of 90 days guarantee
The minimum in the UK is 1 year. But that has to be provided by the manufacturer; there's no obligation for the store where you purchased the item to exchange it beyond, I think, 7 or 14 days - something like that. In this case, I believe what happened is that the store wouldn't exchange it after 30 days and that they informed the customer that he would have to send it back to Sony - that seems perfectly reasonable to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
No, i got that, i sent it off to Sony. I just find the lack of care outrageous, i would understand if they had told me the same if id gone there in 3 month but the fact that they lose interest six days after their commitment is over is just wrong .
Well, my country is not nearly as ... aehm ... civilized ... aehm ... as USA, but if the shop I have purchased the thing in told me to they have nothing to do with my purchase while it was stil under warranty I would call "State Merchant Inspection" on them. And they would be fined heavily.

I buy something in a *store*. They made a hefty profit from my purchase. So it is their responsibility to act as my proxy with the manufacturer / importer / wharehouse / whomever *they* purchased the merchandise from. So I bring it back to the store when it gets broken. If they do not manage to get it repaired or replaced within 30 days I get my money. Simple and easy.

... And by the way, the warranty here in European Union is 24 months.

The company I work for has also a small computer store. The customer brings in a computer with a dead motherboard. He has purchased it 23 months ago and the Tchaiwan manufacturer went out of bussiness ... We still have to repair the computer. Tough luck.

Now that I think of it, this might be the reason everything electronic here in the European Union is more expensive than in USA for this reason ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
... And by the way, the warranty here in European Union is 24 months.
Are you sure about that?
Then, how come that I get only 12 months warranty for my iLiad?
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's certainly 12 months for most products here in the UK, and we're a part of the EU .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
klaatubar

Well, I bought the iliad after the sony but then i didnt know about it when i bought it, they don't really seem to be doing a lot of marketing for the iliad . I read about it first on this site and its working great and I dont have battery problems. Its all good.

Sony is now quoting 250$ repair costs which is roughly what i paid for it in the first place, am trying to find out why that is (warranty) ,but am tempted to accept it as part of the Sony experience and forget about the whole thing.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Well, I bought the iliad after the sony but then i didnt know about it when i bought it, they don't really seem to be doing a lot of marketing for the iliad . I read about it first on this site and its working great and I dont have battery problems. Its all good.

Sony is now quoting 250$ repair costs which is roughly what i paid for it in the first place, am trying to find out why that is (warranty) ,but am tempted to accept it as part of the Sony experience and forget about the whole thing.
I have noticed a few ppl buying a Sony then moving up to an iliad and I have to admit as of yesterday when I ordered my iliad I'm one of them. Having said that my Sony is working well and I've never had a problem with it. I just like the extra features of the iliad.
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They really are different devices, I've not thought of them as competitors for over a year now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote