Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Drop Bear
Enthusiast
Drop Bear began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
DR800 won't boot up

Hello all,

My DR800SG will not boot up. It seems to be stuck on the very first screen that has the guy reading a book with lots of circles with IREX in the top right and the Adobe logo in the bottom left.

I have read a few other posts with similar problems and tried the following to resolve it with no result:

1. Disconnected battery for 1min, 5min, overnight then tried switching it back on.

2. Charged it overnight.

3. Reset it by sliding the on button leftwards up to 20-30 times in a row.

4. Tried turning it on whilst connected to charger with and without the battery.

5. As above but connected to PC via usb.

Does anyone else have any other advice to help me fix my beloved ereader? I haven't used it in months and really got very little use out of it considering how much it cost me. I would hate to think that it is bricked.

PS. Seeing as Irex is now kaput are any and all warranty claims now useless aswell?

Drop Bear.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Drop Bear
Enthusiast

I should add that the orange light comes on with recharging and the green light stays on all the time when I unplug it.
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
when this happened to me, I extracted the SD card and connected it directly through a card reader to the computer. then I reformatted it, installed the latest beta firmware rc3 on it and all worked again ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
Drop Bear
Enthusiast

This sounds promising.

I also had an old SD card with RC1 on it but that did not do anything when I rebooted with it in my reader.

How do you install RC3 directly onto the SD card?

I have updated in the past but that required me to update via menus in an operating DR800.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
you have to extract the update in the root folder of the reformatted card, so that you have /System/update/ with the various files in it on the card, well, no guarantee it will work though ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Bogey
Bogey began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500, DR800SG
I'm having the same problem: After a reboot I get the startup screen, then the "dots" within the center circle till its filled, a screen flash, return to the start up screen w/o the" dots" and it locks up.

It all started when I attempted to open an epub book and it locked up. Go figure.
I will try the card format (FAT 32?) with the latest Rc3 software. Will let you know the results.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Bogey
Bogey began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500, DR800SG
Thank you! It's back working! What I did:

1) Format 2gb sd card from IREX 800sg on PC in FAT format
2) Unzipped RC3 obtained from (http://updates.irexnet.com/beta/dr800sg/) contents to SD card
3) Put it all back into the 800sg, plugged it in, waited about 30 min. for battery to recharge and now at the "Setup- Time & Date" screen.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Maybe the problem is in the global.db file. This file is updated during boot time (it contains information about all documents on the DR). If that file is corrupt it might hangup the DR.
(A crash/reset of the DR might lead to a corrupted global.db)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Drop Bear
Enthusiast

Thanks for the instructions.

None of this is working for me. I have tried a blank SD with just the RC3 files extracted on it and an old RC1 with the global.db file deleted and I can't even get to the rotating dots screen.

Any other ideas or is this truly bricked?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
DropBear - Did you get this sorted?

I have exactly the same problem - followed instructions above but no joy. After reformat microSD, add rc3 system\update, disconnect/reconnect battery orange lamp lit. When switch on, I get the green light, screen flashes off/on and then just geezer sitting there reading his book - no animated ring of dots - nada.
mattgb is offline   Reply With Quote