Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
syfr
syfr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
How to transfer multi part audio book

I have an audio book that is in disk "image" format...in other words, its a series of disks, each in a subdiretory with multiple parts in MP3 ... so a main directory for the book then subdirectories representing "CD"s and multiple files in each subdir with segments of that "cd" .

How do I transfer this to the kindle so that it plays as it should?

John
syfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi John - this could be tricky as the audio player on the Kindle is quite basic so it won't recognise which part to play first or next even. There are a couple of things you could do 1) get some software which will join all the mp3 files together in the right order so you can play it easily on the Kindle OR rename all the files so you can visibly see which one to select next and play on the Kindle.

I assume these are unprotected mp3 files as well.

Hopefully you'll get some other suggestions.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I assume these are unprotected mp3 files as well.
All MP3 files are unprotected - the MP3 format doesn't support DRM.

You don't need any fancy tools for appending MP3 files - just join the files together and they'll play fine.

Eg, from a command prompt:

copy f1.mp3+f2.mp3+f3.mp4 join.mp3

will join up files "f1.mp3", "f2.mp3" and "f3.mp3" to produce file "join.mp3".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All MP3 files are unprotected - the MP3 format doesn't support DRM.

You don't need any fancy tools for appending MP3 files - just join the files together and they'll play fine.

Eg, from a command prompt:

copy f1.mp3+f2.mp3+f3.mp4 join.mp3

will join up files "f1.mp3", "f2.mp3" and "f3.mp3" to produce file "join.mp3".
Sorry, wasn't aware of that. I remembered reading from the Amazon support and will quote it now: "AAC, WAV, MP3 with Digital Rights Management (DRM) and other music file formats are not supported" so I took that to mean that it was possible that MP3 files could have DRM. Probably just how they worded it.

That's a good tip for using the command prompt to joing mp3 files together. Thank you.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Hi, I also have some audio books in multiple parts in mp3. Many of em' have over 20 parts. I just wished there was anyway to organize the parts into a seperate folder using my computer. It's no fun having to spead 15-20 minutes during it on the Kindle. Is not like I'm getting paid for it, right ?

Also, I agree that player is rather awful. It's as basic as it can be without it falling apart, really. I do hope they'll update it soon.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Google an MP3 file merger, you can then compile all the files into one. I use MP3 Merger and it works fine, very simple to use.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Okay, MP3 Merger works nicely. Does the job in a secound really; so that is a good solution. But I still really miss being able to select a spot in the playtime, or at the very least being able to fast forward more then 30 secounds at a time. Way too much micromanagement to be practical. Also, if something happens and the Kindle doesn't remember where the playtime stopped you might just be in a world of pain. This has happened to me a couple of times, and it was very time consuming, not to mention frustrating, getting to the right timeline in the track.

If the Kindle has official support for audio books then I think the quality of that support is close to being unaccepteble, really.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Is it possible to add custom chapters to a mp3 audiobook ? I did a search on google, and I only found one source which seemed to inform that the MP3 format doesn't support this function. Is this correct ?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
With the Kindle, I believe audiobooks themselves are intended to be Audible ones. The mp3 function is intended for background music only (pretty much). If you want to listen to a book, use an mp3 player.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote