Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
kennethv93
kennethv93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Dark band on top and bottom of screen

Hi, I bought the Kobo Aura 4 days ago and I'm really happy with (as I already read 3 books with it ). There's just this one thing: when I put on the frontlight there is a dark band at the top and the bottom of the screen (see pictures). I don't know if everyone has these bands. If so, I can live with it and hope the manufacturers can perfect this technology. If this is a production fault however, I'd like to know if I should return this unit and ask for a new one.

Note: I saw a thread about someone having the same issue with the Kobo GLO. As the Aura is a newer model I thought maybe Kobo sorted this issue out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-07 01.46.29.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	126459   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-02 18.59.00.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	126460   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-02 18.59.13.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	126461   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-07 01.45.32.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	126462  

Last edited by kennethv93; 08-06-2014 at 08:12 PM.
kennethv93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I was one of the early adopters of the Aura and ended up returning three because of various reasons including what you describe. All said and done I consider that reader to be a flawed product.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I agree. Those lines are too dark and noticeable to be considered normal. I'd exchange it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
kennethv93

Okay, thanks a lot for the fast reply guys! I'll ask for a new one.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It's not so much that there's a dark band, but there's a brighter line of light at the very top coming out from under the frame. Put something over that thin line of light and see if you notice the top band as much.

I think it's more to do with an imprecise placement of the screen in relation to the frame, so if a little extra light leaks from either the top or bottom, it gives the illusion of a dark band because of the contrast from that light leak to the normal brightness where the page really begins.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
kennethv93

It does help at the top of the screen when I cover the thin line of light, but at the bottom it's still quite dark. If it's an imprecise placement of the screen as you say (and probably is), it still needs to be replaced right?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The LEDs are placed at the bottom, so it's normal to see some shading there. Some units show minimal cone shapes, others are quite pronounced.

If it bothers you, try to get a replacement by all means. You will be looking at that with every single page you read. You might ask to open the new reader in the store to see if it has the same issue or not (if you have that option, not sure if you ordered it direct from Kobo or purchased it locally).
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
kennethv93

I'm really grateful for your detailed replies. Here in Belgium it's impossible to buy a Kobo or a Kindle in the local stores because none of the stores sell them. Everything has to be bought online. I've changed my mind about returning it (thanks to you). First of all it'll take a long time to return it and get a new one (which probably has the same dark band as mine) and I don't think it's worth the effort. I just read a few minutes with the front light on and I don't really mind it at all. Second of all, I don't use the light a lot. When there's external light possible (any lamp close to me) I use that because I feel like it reads better than with the front light (and it saves battery too!).
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

You might try just lowering the light level to the least amount you really need to read comfortably, see if that doesn't lessen that white line at the top. For myself, I leave the light on always at around 28%. When it's not needed, the page just looks a bit whiter with more contrast, and it's more than enough to read even in a totally dark room for me. I also find it's a minimal battery drain, I still go a few weeks between recharging. And I never have to fool with the light.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think mine has something similar, but it doesn't bother me because: (1) I almost never use the light, and (2) at least the bottom band affects only the footer, so I get no distractions in the real text.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect the lighting to be completely even if the light emitters have to be hidden under the frame.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
This was something that put me off the Aura a little when I was trying to decide between it and the Paperwhite a while back. I knew there might be some shadow from the lights, but I could see a dark band along the top in both the display models I got to see in person and I knew it'd really bug me!

Having the dark band along both the top and bottom in yours seems a little more of an issue though, so I'd agree with the others about returning it. It does seem to be a flaw, but it does vary and if you return it you could be hopeful of getting a replacement model where the dark band is less noticeable.

However, if it doesn't really bother you and returns are a hassle.... then that's your choice. As long as you are happy enough reading on it, that's good enough for you so why worry. Happy reading.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
kennethv93

I contacted the store after the first 2 replies I got on this thread. They actually proposed to exchange devices at my house. They'll bring a new device monday and take mine back. Now I'll get a new one without even having to leave my house.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You might try just lowering the light level to the least amount you really need to read comfortably, see if that doesn't lessen that white line at the top. For myself, I leave the light on always at around 28%. When it's not needed, the page just looks a bit whiter with more contrast, and it's more than enough to read even in a totally dark room for me. I also find it's a minimal battery drain, I still go a few weeks between recharging. And I never have to fool with the light.
Yep, same here. I leave the light at 20% all the time, for the same reasons you do.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethv93 View Post
I contacted the store after the first 2 replies I got on this thread. They actually proposed to exchange devices at my house. They'll bring a new device monday and take mine back. Now I'll get a new one without even having to leave my house.
Great stuff, that's good service! Hope you'll be happier with the replacement.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, front light, kobo, screen