Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #23881
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
When is the move? And please tell me it is not to the South of Thailand. The BBC had a story on that region recently and it sounds moderately dangerous.
We are planning to fly out around the 6th of June. We'll be returning to the NORTH of Thailand to live in the area around Chiang Mai, just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Burmese and Laotian borders. We lived there for 10 years and love the area, people, and foods. It's sort of what one would imagine Hawaii to be without the expense... Flowers everywhere, old traditional bamboo villages next to modern shopping plazas... elephants walking down the side of the roads (at night elephants are required to have red, blinking lights tied to their tails if being moved on city streets...) people still farming with water buffaloes dragging the plows, and cutting rice by hand... but supermarkets selling import foods from Germany, US, France, Spain, etc... Tessco is there, as is Carrefour. Ultra-modern and ancient, side by side. It's the last stop on the railway line going north from Singapore. Beyond here there be dragons...

But we often vacation in the South. It's true that southern Thailand is a hotbed of Muslim extremism, and bombs have been going off daily down there for years now. In fact, it's so common that most of the media have even stopped reporting about it... However, the odds of our being in the same area as a bomb going off are pretty slim. The south of Thailand is about the size of California. And the southern islands are what was written about in the DeCaprio film/book "The Beach." In fact, that used to be one of our favorite destinations... no electricity, no roads, no cars, no cement building... Just a few bamboo bungalow colonies and a couple of dive shops... We would rent a bamboo hut right on the beach for $3 a night. It was so quiet at night... you could almost hear the stars. But that was then.

Once the backpack travelers heard about how nice it was, they descended like locust. Today there are three villages, a car rental agency, and dozens of fancy hotels. You won't find anything cheaper than $75 a night, and that's in the center of the island!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #23882
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Chicken soup, sparkling water and brandy. So miserable
Get well soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Congrats, Durrant. Get well soon, KK, pooh and Prof Crash (am I missing someone else?).

@ Prof Crash: it's the rule, that one is. I found that out after many time asking myself what the middle part's supposed to mean

A trip to pagodas today. Took some shots
Nice pictures Anh! Good job

Quote:
Smoothie: oreos, unsweetened milk, banana.
Smoothie with oreo's That sounds ... weird

I'm finally feeling better. Niocitran, pure vitamin C in liquid form, has saved my life! I'm starting this sunday with a mug of minty green tea while BF is still in bed.

(We made a sketch of the house design we like best so far! It really gives a better 'feel' of how it would be to live there. See picture attached )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruinbuik 25-02 001G.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	102246  
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #23883
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero #1 in my cup.

Hmm.. with that much open space you could move the table and sofas to clear space to have a dance!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #23884
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
Smoothie with oreo's That sounds ... weird
It tasted weirder Actually I wanted to make cookie milkshake but there wasn't any ice cream left.

Just water now.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #23885
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
@ orlok: why yes, I did. It's the places that are beautiful, and besides, the camera did all the work. I just released the button
Have you been taking "how to frame a picture" lessons from Stitchawl? They look really professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
We are planning to fly out around the 6th of June...
Can either of you speak Tai? I'm assuming if you lived there for 10 years you must have some level of proficiency, but maybe a bit rusty? Looks like Chiang Mai is a lovely place - looking forward to the pictures already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
(We made a sketch of the house design we like best so far! It really gives a better 'feel' of how it would be to live there. See picture attached )
Looking good Iridal. When are you hoping the work will start?

Rooibos in my cup.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #23886
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Have you been taking "how to frame a picture" lessons from Stitchawl? They look really professional.
Having that bridge lead the viewer's eye right into the gazabo is 'picture perfect!' Add to that the tree leaves on top keeping the viewer inside the photo... It really IS professional!

Quote:
Can either of you speak Tai? I'm assuming if you lived there for 10 years you must have some level of proficiency, but maybe a bit rusty? Looks like Chiang Mai is a lovely place - looking forward to the pictures already.
We both speak enough to get around, but not enough for a serious conversation. And as Thai is a tonal language (there are five different tones, so one word can have five different meanings depending upon the tone,) and I'm too deaf to hear ANY of them, some times my language skills get me in trouble. We took ten weeks of language lessons which gave us the basics, but we'll do it all over again when we get there. Most important in S.E. Asia is familiarity with numbers as bargaining is the order of the day in every market. That, asking for and giving directions, ordering in a restaurant, and shopping in the supermarket. Typical daily conversation stuff. Where is the bus station? How much for six pieces?
This time we will have our iPhones with the translation ap. I can't tell you just how easy this has made international travel! It's like something out of StarTrek. I say a word or sentence into the phone and it instantly translates it into any of 50 different languages. And here's a couple of pictures I shot just before we left Chiang Mai to get you started!

My wife has just squeezed some fresh Mangoes into my cup, with a yogurt drink they sell here called Yakult (brand) Makes for a refreshing drink!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buffa5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	102250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chedi019.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	102251  

Last edited by Stitchawl; 03-03-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #23887
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Coke Zero #2 in my cup.

I feel remarkably untravelled compared to you lot.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #23888
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Coke Zero #2 in my cup.

Time for some Bombay Sapphire and a movie...

And Paul, you're not untravelled. You're content.
I always need to see what's on the other side of the hill, or other side of the island, or in the middle of the jungle.

Stitchawl
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #23889
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Which translation app do you use?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #23890
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
It tasted weirder Actually I wanted to make cookie milkshake but there wasn't any ice cream left.

Just water now.
Hehe Nice try though, very original

Quote:
Coke Zero #1 in my cup.

Hmm.. with that much open space you could move the table and sofas to clear space to have a dance!
I can already picture the parties we'll have there

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Looking good Iridal. When are you hoping the work will start?

Rooibos in my cup.
It's very early stages, we just got the first designs. We're hoping to start in the fall, but quite possibly we'll only start working some time next year
We just really want to take the time to get the design right. Although our architect did a great job with the first designs!

Quote:
Coke Zero #2 in my cup.

Jasmin green tea in my cup. BF off to work (one of the few sundays every year when he has to work), so I'm curled up on the couch with the cats and a book
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #23891
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Mint chocolate Rooibos in my cup. It should be beer or something harder.

Spoiler:

Woke up to find Lucas standing in his crib frowning, trying to figure out how to get the toy he had thrown out. Picked him and realized he needed to be changed. Monster poop. Ok, he has two every morning. Clean with wet wipes. Lay down, see poop on changing pad. That is weird. Turn over and find poop all the way up his back. Like, an inch from his neck. Call in his Dad, get pjs off, clean Lucas back and now arms. Start bath. Chang myself due to poop on sleeves of pjs.

I love being a mother.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #23892
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Which translation app do you use?
Looks like 'Google Translate.' It's not always accurate, but close enough to get the job done. The other day, two Japanese mechanics and I had a three-way conversation, each of us holding our smart phones out when we couldn't figure out the correct words to use. Very nice!

Stitchawl
Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #23893
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Just finished Coke Zero #6. Definitely too many! Back to two a day, max. tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #23894
Amy GD
Banned
Amy GD is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Just had a cup of coffee... It's afternoon.
Amy GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #23895
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Well I left my happy home to see what I could find out
I left my folk and friends with the aim to clear my mind out
Well I hit the rowdy road and many kinds I met there
Many stories told me of the way to get there

So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out

Well in the end I'll know, but on the way I wonder
Through descending snow, and through the frost and thunder
Well, I listen to the wind come howl, telling me I have to hurry
I listen to the robin's song saying not to worry

So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ--odAAA1A )

Good morning, everyone! There are only 302 days left in 2013, so get your act together and get it on the road! I've got Ahmad's "English Breakfast" tea in my cup today, and I'm ready to get out the door. It's too nice to just sit around! I'm gonna take a ride!

Amy D, where in this lovely world are you?

Stitchawl

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?