Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Glo and screen scratchs

I was reading this review (an I62HD Firefly review):

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UPmIz3fbj0O

and this stood out:

Quote:
... This ereader also failed the drop test. Remember when I reported that you could drop keys on the Nook Glow and damage the frontlight? The Firefly has the same problem. In fact, the first couple dings on the screen happened before I tested this ereader – even though this ereader came with a case. ...
Has anyone with a Kobo Glo scratched their screen? Did it cause a lighting problem?

I've read of reports with the Nook Glo. But nothing with the Kobo Glo (other then initially receiving their Glo with "Light pixels", supposedly due to dust).

I've had my Glo for about a month. No scratches. I carry it in my PC bag, usually without a cover.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Haven't ever heard of someone with the Nook screen type damage on a Kobo Glo (or a Kindle for that matter). In your case what I'd be careful of is whether there is any chance of the Kobo getting twisted/bent and breaking the glass substrate of the e-ink screen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops (post deleted)
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Haven't ever heard of someone with the Nook screen type damage on a Kobo Glo (or a Kindle for that matter). In your case what I'd be careful of is whether there is any chance of the Kobo getting twisted/bent and breaking the glass substrate of the e-ink screen.
So do you have any scratches?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Not yet and I do not use a cover for my Glo.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Had mine since week they were 1st available and no scratches. However mine tends to stay at home and when I let it travel it goes in a wooden case I built for it to keep it safe.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No issues with my Glo yet. I keep it in a case now, but it wasn't in one for the first few weeks. I have medium-length fingernails, and obviously avoid jabbing at the screen hard with the pointy bits. I also avoid dropping sharpish metal objects onto my Glo, so I can't report as to whether it's keychain-proof.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The Nook Glowlight documentation states that you do not need a screen protector as one is already installed and it should not be removed... I tried one out for a day last week before returning it and buying my Kobo Glo.

It kind of makes me wonder if that screen protector is part of their waveguide that distributes the lighting, or if they decided to add a screen protector after the initial reports of the display being easily marred and messing up the lighted display?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
realhulius
realhulius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi,
I don't really know how it happened but my glo's screen is scratched. I carry it in my bag along with my pc. So it's probably some plastic edge that did this to the screen.
Anyway is not really noticeable but still.I'm more carefull now and plan to buy some cover (maybe waterproof).
realhulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by realhulius View Post
Hi,
I don't really know how it happened but my glo's screen is scratched. I carry it in my bag along with my pc. So it's probably some plastic edge that did this to the screen.
Anyway is not really noticeable but still.I'm more carefull now and plan to buy some cover (maybe waterproof).
So the scratch doesn't effect the lighting? You don't see a bright spot where the scratch is?

I'm not concerned about the scratches themselves. My Nook Touch (non Glow) has several scratches (one rather deep from the cat using it as a springboard), and I don't notice the scratch while reading.

My concern is that a scratch will cause a brightspot.

The biggest advantage of my Kobo Glo, for me, is that I no longer need a cover. If I need a cover due to the scratching causing lighting problems, I might as well stick with my Kobo Touch.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
realhulius
realhulius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
So the scratch doesn't effect the lighting? You don't see a bright spot where the scratch is?
Nope, no bright spot. However it's a small and not really deep scratch.
realhulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
7Strawberries
7Strawberries began at the beginning.

I see..

Last edited by 7Strawberries; 12-27-2015 at 07:56 AM.
7Strawberries is offline   Reply With Quote