Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
mbspringer
mbspringer began at the beginning.

Device: none
keyboard driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattl View Post
I am very interested in running stock Debian on my Kindle Touch, without any of the Kindle software remaining.

From reading this forum, it seems that it is now possible to flash u-boot on the touch via the USB HID mode, and from there I should be able to boot Debian. Maybe I'm over simplifying things?

Has anyone considered this, and does anyone have any tips on next steps I could take?

I have jailbroken and have USB networking.
Calling the onscreen keyboard has been brought up. Memory paging? What is the screen Address? are there screen buffers? maybe not, the updates flicker so badly. There is a reference from a prolific coder Yifan Lu's
mentioning open a term on the kindle touch being overlaid by the system.

cant get input is the big opportunity that I see
mbspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattl View Post
I am very interested in running stock Debian on my Kindle Touch, without any of the Kindle software remaining.

From reading this forum, it seems that it is now possible to flash u-boot on the touch via the USB HID mode, and from there I should be able to boot Debian. Maybe I'm over simplifying things?

Has anyone considered this, and does anyone have any tips on next steps I could take?

I have jailbroken and have USB networking.
You might consider this instead of Debian:
http://archlinuxarm.org/

You can try Arch Linux as a LiveCD on your x86{,_64} machine:
http://www.archlinux.org/

Arch Linux is a "binary distribution" (like Debian is) built from the Gentoo source tree.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
mattl
mattl began at the beginning.

Device: none
My interest in Debian is due to the fact that a lot of the tools I have to build completely free kernels as well as many of the packages I'm interested in, already exist for Debian.

Yes, the Kindle runs Linux, but I'm not particularly interested in just the Kernel Linux, without the GNU OS.
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Arch Linux is a "binary distribution" (like Debian is) built from the Gentoo source tree.
It's not based on the Gentoo source tree, it got its own. But thanks for the other link, I never knew of the ARM version of my favorite distribution :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
It's not based on the Gentoo source tree, it got its own. But thanks for the other link, I never knew of the ARM version of my favorite distribution :-)
Too bad we don't have an "out of date info" smiley.

I think it did start out that way, I seem to recall a "Gento import" thing in pakman.
But I may be wrong again about that also. Maybe I should just stop typing for today.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debian, ignorance is strength