Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #406
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelo86 View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new to the forum and I'd like to ask a question here, I think it's a simple one that has already been answered but I can't find the info I need.
I own 2 ereaders, using one or another as I feel like.
I use Calibre and Kobo desktop for loading ebooks.
For curiosity, are you using Kobo desktop instead of syncing purchased books over WiFi? I don't see any way to sideload books through it. I was thinking I could add books to the desktop application, but, I can't see how to do that now.
Quote:
In Calibre I use Kobo Utilities to store/restore the reading position, but I haven't find a way to store/restore the bookmarks (I'm talking about the dog-ear) I have on the ebooks.
Is it an Annotation plugin feature? If is that so I guess there's no way to transfer this info from one ereader to another, right?
I don't know of any tools to backup the annotations from the device. The Annotations plugin will fetch the annotations and store them, but, it is one-way only. I don't think that is likely to change.

Annotations backup and restore has never been something I have been interested in as I don't use them in that way. They are in the database, so dumping the rows from that can be done. For epubs, they are also in the RMSDK annotations directory and those files can be backed up and restored. Both of these have issues as you need to make sure file names match the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #407
zelo86
zelo86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For curiosity, are you using Kobo desktop instead of syncing purchased books over WiFi?.
Yes. I purchase book on Kobo Store and transfer them via USB port onto the ereader, I'm old fashioned..
Of course I sideload with Calibre too.

Quote:
I don't know of any tools to backup the annotations from the device. The Annotations plugin will fetch the annotations and store them, but, it is one-way only. I don't think that is likely to change.

Annotations backup and restore has never been something I have been interested in as I don't use them in that way. They are in the database, so dumping the rows from that can be done. For epubs, they are also in the RMSDK annotations directory and those files can be backed up and restored. Both of these have issues as you need to make sure file names match the books.
Thanks for the clarification, I think I will give up using dog-ear as a second reading location method. It it will be enough for me to use the Kobo Utilities for this purpose.
May I ask, how do you use the annotations? I'm just curious..
zelo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #408
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelo86 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I think I will give up using dog-ear as a second reading location method. It it will be enough for me to use the Kobo Utilities for this purpose.
Bookmark for reading position isn't that useful unless they are being synced automatically. That is a good thing with the WiFi syncing of purchased books. I can be pretty certain that if I read on one device, and then pick up another for some reason, the reading status will be updated as I open the book.
Quote:
May I ask, how do you use the annotations? I'm just curious..
I mainly used annotations to mark errors in the book I want to fix, or things I want to look up when I'm at a computer. Once I fix the problem, or do the lookup, I delete the annotation. So they are transient and there isn't any real need to sync them elsewhere.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #409
zelo86
zelo86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Bookmark for reading position isn't that useful unless they are being synced automatically. That is a good thing with the WiFi syncing of purchased books. I can be pretty certain that if I read on one device, and then pick up another for some reason, the reading status will be updated as I open the book.
That's a thing I had not considered. It may come handy, I could start syncing via WiFi and getting the bookmark sync as a benefit. Thanks davidfor.
zelo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #410
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
On the initial signup for a new device, Kobo offers Walmart (even though I didn't buy from them), Facebook, Google, Kobo, or a list of other accounts. But they don't offer me to use an email address from outside any of those services, be it Yahoo or whatever other provider, or my own domain. Is there no way around that?

If I want to buy Kobo books that sync with the device, must the device use a Kobo account that I've initiated the device with?

People here have mentioned burner accounts, which I probably won't end up using, but how can one do that if there's no way to bypass the domains the device's OS gives us to choose from? Hopefully, I'm missing something.

EDIT: It may be that I can tap Kobo and enter whatever email address I choose there to create a new Kobo account. So it appears. Would that then work as the account that I'd buy books with if I so choose?

I'm a tinkerer, but don't want to permanently force myself down a road that I'd ultimately not want to be on, so I'm asking for that reason.

Last edited by mirage; 06-18-2020 at 02:29 PM.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #411
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
On the initial signup for a new device, Kobo offers Walmart (even though I didn't buy from them), Facebook, Google, Kobo, or a list of other accounts. But they don't offer me to use an email address from outside any of those services, be it Yahoo or whatever other provider, or my own domain. Is there no way around that?

If I want to buy Kobo books that sync with the device, must the device use a Kobo account that I've initiated the device with?

People here have mentioned burner accounts, which I probably won't end up using, but how can one do that if there's no way to bypass the domains the device's OS gives us to choose from? Hopefully, I'm missing something.
A burner account is only for those who are paranoid. There's no reason to be paranoid of Kobo. I've had an account for probably 6 years.

Just setup a valid account at Kobo and use that to register your Reader. It's the easiest solution. Also if you want to purchase any eBooks or use Overdrive (on the Kobo if the Kobo you have supports Overdrive), you can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #412
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A burner account is only for those who are paranoid. There's no reason to be paranoid of Kobo. I've had an account for probably 6 years.

Just setup a valid account at Kobo and use that to register your Reader. It's the easiest solution. Also if you want to purchase any eBooks or use Overdrive (on the Kobo if the Kobo you have supports Overdrive), you can.
That wasn't exactly my question, but thanks for taking the time. I was thinking that there was no way to use an email address from outside any of the account domains Kobo presents upon initializing the device. But I see that I can create a Kobo account using any address I want, which I did. You'll be happy to know that it's a real address.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #413
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post

EDIT: It may be that I can tap Kobo and enter whatever email address I choose there to create a new Kobo account. So it appears. Would that then work as the account that I'd buy books with if I so choose?

I'm a tinkerer, but don't want to permanently force myself down a road that I'd ultimately not want to be on, so I'm asking for that reason.
If you use "Kobo", then you get to set whatever email address you want. Using any of the others will require using the account details from those. If the other account is a book store (not counting Google), it should be setting the affiliate. That is basically who gets a kickback when you buy a book from Kobo. With Walmart and FNAC, they also change some things displayed on the device.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #414
mirage
Zealot

Quote:
If you use "Kobo", then you get to set whatever email address you want. Using any of the others will require using the account details from those. If the other account is a book store (not counting Google), it should be setting the affiliate. That is basically who gets a kickback when you buy a book from Kobo. With Walmart and FNAC, they also change some things displayed on the device.
Thanks. I figured it out quickly enough.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #415
Rusty100
Rusty100 began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD
I have an Aura HD that I rather like. Recently I have sometimes found icons difficult to activate - having to touch them multiple times in various ways.

Firmware is up to date. A couple of years ago my Kobo was immersed in a bucket of water but I poured into it pure alcohol and then water dispersant and after a couple of hours in the sun it worked fine . So I don't think that is the problem.

Could the touch screen be becoming less sensitive?

Any thoughts? Any work arounds?

Cheers
Rusty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #416
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty100 View Post
I have an Aura HD that I rather like. Recently I have sometimes found icons difficult to activate - having to touch them multiple times in various ways.

Firmware is up to date. A couple of years ago my Kobo was immersed in a bucket of water but I poured into it pure alcohol and then water dispersant and after a couple of hours in the sun it worked fine . So I don't think that is the problem.

Could the touch screen be becoming less sensitive?

Any thoughts? Any work arounds?
The touch on an Aura HD is IR based. There are IR emitters and sensors around the screen. Blocking the IR beam is what activates the touch.

It could be dirt under the bezel. That can block the beams. If you clean under the bezel, it will probably help.

The only other thing I can think of is the internal SD card failing. That can cause slowdown for various actions. Replacing that and reimaging the card can give these devices a new lease on life.

There is of course another answer:

The device is toast and you cannot do anything about it. The only thing you can do is buy a new ereader. The Libra H2O would be a good replacement. Though the Forma is great if you want a larger device.

You can use that answer if you need to justify to someone buying a new device. We know you want to
Old 09-29-2020, 04:36 AM   #417
Rusty100
Rusty100 began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
The touch on an Aura HD is IR based. There are IR emitters and sensors around the screen. Blocking the IR beam is what activates the touch.

It could be dirt under the bezel. That can block the beams. If you clean under the bezel, it will probably help.
You may well be right. The reader is in a homemade cover that does shed a little leather dust. I will clean the screen.

Thanks
Rusty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #418
menneske
Enthusiast
menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: LBook (Hanlin v.3), iPad1+3, GloHD 32GB, ClaraHD 8GB, iPadPro2 512GB
Will somebody pass on some good advice?

The Kobo Glo HD is my second Kobo.
Installing koreader on the older one was not exactly painless, but it resolved eventually. Software was 4.2.xxx I believe.

This one is refusing all advances. The trigger-files do not work. I have reset it 11 times now and used both the recent and authoritative "way"- https://github.com/koreader/koreader...mportant-notes - and older methods, in that order - but only when I copied a saved copy of the installation from the old Kobo was there a glimpse of koreader folders, but it was instantly replaced by a demand to correspond the email address on the kobo to my new account, which causes the deletion of the koreader installation... (can only use the new email now).

NickelMenu is in the bottom right corner - from the first attempts, but it supposedly should not work below FW 4.6... - and it says config error, when touched. And NickelMenu lingers through the factory reset?!

I am out of ways to try the install.

Could I somehow clear out the whole content via USB or some other way, and Really start over?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_165708.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	183809   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_165347.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	183810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_162118.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	183811  

Last edited by menneske; 12-06-2020 at 12:50 PM.
menneske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #419
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by menneske View Post
Will somebody pass on some good advice?

The Kobo Glo HD is my second Kobo.
Installing koreader on the older one was not exactly painless, but it resolved eventually. Software was 4.2.xxx I believe.

This one is refusing all advances. The trigger-files do not work. I have reset it 11 times now and used both the recent and authoritative "way"- https://github.com/koreader/koreader...mportant-notes - and older methods, in that order - but only when I copied a saved copy of the installation from the old Kobo was there a glimpse of koreader folders, but it was instantly replaced by a demand to correspond the email address on the kobo to my new account, which causes the deletion of the koreader installation... (can only use the new email now).

NickelMenu is in the bottom right corner - from the first attempts, but it supposedly should not work below FW 4.6... - and it says config error, when touched. And NickelMenu lingers through the factory reset?!

I am out of ways to try the install.

Could I somehow clear out the whole content via USB or some other way, and Really start over?
I take it that you used the One-Click Install Packages for KOReader & Plato? The One-Click install using KFMON/NickelMenu works but KSM does not work on 4.25 firmware.

If you are using the One-Click install method, are you following the instructions in the second message in the thread?

Last edited by DNSB; 12-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:53 AM   #420
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
If I understand correctly, Kobo eReaders run a modified version of Linux-based OS.
Is there a guide on how to run scripts on a schedule from within the device?
I'd like to have a way to sync particular folders (or the entire storage) on device every night using git.
I tried searching the forum for "git", but didn't find anything, really.
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote