Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

Finally returned Sony Reader to SonyStyle

Really bad, not worth my money at all.

First of all, Connect software has so many bugs and it should be the worst software I ever used:
1) Connect only uses its own fonts (total three) instead of using windows fonts. This is generally ok if you only read books bought from Connect ebook store. But when you try to import your own text/pdf files into Reader, and in case those text/pdf file contains any fonts that is not included in above three fonts stored at C:\Program Files\SONY\CONNECT Reader\Data\fonts. Connect software will use 100% CPU and finally shut down your computer. This is really an ugly bug.

2)If you have any of such text/pdf files stored in "Library" under "Preview" mode, your Connect software can never start properally. Once you start Connect, it will use 100% CPU and do nothing until your computer is down.

Reader itself is so slow, slow than an old time Winows CE PDA. Basically only BBeB and text file (which contains no strange fonts) are workable, which can be quickly opened and paged up and down. But whenever page up, you can always see pale ghost image of previous page on screen, even battery is 100%.

PDF file is not only un-readable, but also very very slow to open. I downloaded a three page Physical Review Letter paper to Reader. It has no problem to show all equations, but will take more than 30 second to turn each page.

Reader is basically impressively slow even in menu page. The response of jog dial is much slower than any mp3 players.

Any way, SONY Reader makes me feel really bad. It is understandable if SONY has technology difficulties in hardware development, but it is totally unacceptable, for example, Connect software acts like a beta version. Why SONY cannot do a few more tests before final release?

Maybe I expected too much, but I feel my old PDA is still better than Reader.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I guess all I can say is that I'm sorry it doesn't do what you need done.

I do hope that you find something that will work for you though, that's the important point.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Sorry to hear that, db100. But I wish you could have offered it here for sale and passed it on to those who really need the Reader. I'm sure it would have been snapped up in no time
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry that it didn't work out for you. There are many people here who are very happy with the Reader, but we all have different requirements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Totally agree with you on the Connect software. The complaints on the Reader itself I think are part just the current nature of eInk and you will have that on any eInk device and part on Sony's decision to put in slower CPU(s) to increase battery life.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The speed of the display seems to be the spped of the eInk screen rather than the speed of the CPU. I believe that even if Sony had put a CPU with double or triple the speed in the Reader we would not experience any real improvement in page turn times or response to key presses. It would be as Leaping Gnome mentioned, something that would eat battery life without giving any additional value.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

yes - connect software STINKS!

I have just been loading an SD card with converted books. The connect software is such a POS that I honestly would become part of a class action on it.

No speed issues turning pages, no ghosting on my unit that I have seen.....
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman
I have just been loading an SD card with converted books. The connect software is such a POS that I honestly would become part of a class action on it.
There was another "poll" thread about the Connect software. Seems to be about a 50:50 split between people who have endless problems with it, and people for whom it works flawlessly. I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever with Connect. It's pretty basic, but it works perfectly for me. No "hang ups" - I drag files from Windows Explorer and it works fine.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I drag files from Windows Explorer and it works fine.
Harry, can you please say more about what you do? I import files into CONNECT, that drag from the book list on the PC to the SD card (within CONNECT). Can I skip the import and still get files pre-indexed on the Reader by dragging from Windows Explorer to the SD card?

My biggest complaint with CONNECT is the lengthy delay when I first connect the Reader (100% CPU for 5-10 min with 500 RTF books on the Reader's SD card). Does anybody know what it's doing? The contents of the Reader are already known and indexed, so I can' figure out what takes so long. Can't it just query the Reader for the contents?

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I think they only get pre-indexed by loading through Connect. That is the advantage, if you just go Explorer -> Card then the Reader has to index the file when you first open it, and the Reader's CPU is a lot slower that your computer's.

Quote:
The speed of the display seems to be the spped of the eInk screen rather than the speed of the CPU.
I agree, in the cases of menus, etc... but it has shown opening up complicated page like diagrams that aren't preindexed, etc takes longer because the Reader CPU has to determine how to render it. At least that's my understanding.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think it does do the pre-indexing if you drag the file directly onto the Reader within the Connect Software, though. That is, I don't think you need to drag it to the Library, let it crank, and then drag it to the Reader. That approach seems to be working for me, and since I'm not keeping any files in the Connect Library, it saves me a good bit of time, 'cause I'd also have to go back and delete the rascals.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I load my RTF files from multiple locations on the hard disks. I open the directory within CONNECT and then drag the file from the hard disk to the Reader (or the card as needed.) The only things in the library are the files downloaded from the bookstore.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
I load my RTF files from multiple locations on the hard disks. I open the directory within CONNECT and then drag the file from the hard disk to the Reader (or the card as needed.) The only things in the library are the files downloaded from the bookstore.
That's exactly what I do - drag from Explorer onto the Reader icon in Connect. I don't use the "Library" page at all.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #14
stxopher
Nameless Being

Yep. Same here. Use Connect to just drag the files from local to the reader (except for PDFs since its faster just to put them on the card directly). Plus thats the best time to preview them and change the size (S,M,L) instead of having the reader do it.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #15
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Am I the only one who has most of their books from the Connect store? I think I have maybe two non-Connect books on there so far. This is my real first e-reading device, so I don't have the catalog some others may have of a bunch of non-Connect books, or the patience to go and search for converter programs, find txt books, spend 10-15 minutes on each to get them decent looking, etc...

I did it on one - Adventures of Sherlock Holmes from Gutenberg, it wasn't too painful, but I have plenty to read from the Connect store already nicely formatted. Maybe once I exhaust anything I want to read on there I'll have to branch out and get my hands dirty but for now I just like it easy.