Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #31
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The mostly male contributors have missed an important feature: the cuteness factor. The Kobo Mini I'm giving as a Xmas present (to a male) is very cute. Give it a frontlight, bring back the exchangeable back panels (maybe in pink, or purple, or with a cat on) and it would be a hit.
Yes, yes, yes. There's nobody here that can tell me that 6" is much better than 5", that there is no difference in weight or size, that a phone screen is better and makes sense to me. Been there, done that... and I would purchase a lighted Mini without thinking.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
I don't agree that there would be a tiny market for 5" frontlit readers. On the contrary, I think this market is being underestimated. Reading on a phone is totally different from reading on an easily portable eink reader.

The mostly male contributors have missed an important feature: the cuteness factor. The Kobo Mini I'm giving as a Xmas present (to a male) is very cute. Give it a frontlight, bring back the exchangeable back panels (maybe in pink, or purple, or with a cat on) and it would be a hit.
There is undoubtedly a market, but the size of the market is hard to say. Most of the 5" readers that have come out have only ended up "selling out" after the company offering them has sold them at a pretty large discount (Kobo Mini's for example were sold on the cheap a lot before they disappeared). Would a 5" reader that costs the same as a 6" reader have enough of a market is the question.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Since I'll never own an iPhone, I was trying to figure out how to use the InkCase Plus independently of a phone but haven't found much information on it. I see they sell refurbished (like new) ones for $69. I wonder how you would send books to it on its own?

The InkCase kind of undercuts the "it's too expensive to run a small batch of E-Carta screens" argument. Unless they really make a LOT more of these things than I'm guessing. I can't believe that InkCase would be anything more than a niche market.
The InkCase uses EpiReader software and downloads via Bluetooth so it should work using a tablet to download the books. The InkCase also has USB support.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-17-2018 at 03:01 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The InkCase uses EpiReader software and downloads via Bluetooth so it should work using a tablet to download the books. The InkCase also has USB support.
Okay. Thanks. If my wife had more interest in E-Ink I would look at getting her one for iPhone 7 Plus. I'm not sure how comfortable it would feel to hold an empty case while reading (for me personally). Besides, I already have a Kobo Mini (which I like).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #35
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Would a 5" reader that costs the same as a 6" reader have enough of a market is the question.
I wouldn't expect a frontlit 5" reader to cost the same as a 6". Maybe 75% of the price. But there would certainly be a saving for size difference. Would you expect a 15" laptop to cost the same as a 17"?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #36
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I love my Sony PRS-350s, all three of them. But here's something to watch out for: there should be 4 little dots on the power slide switch. They're plastic (like the switch itself) and are there to serve as grip for your finger or fingernail.

On two of my 350s, most of the grip dots are gone. I don't recall my fingernail tearing off any of them, but it must have. The slide motion is balky with friction in both of them, so it's likely I had to tug too hard with my fingernail.

Be wary of this in purchasing, and later in using. The switch slides easily on my good one, I don't need to use a fingernail, but that one's been babied, used indoors in a lighted case. Electronic contact cleaner helps a little on the two balkier switches, but it's been a real turnoff to using those two readers, struggling to make them power up.

(My 505 has a metal power switch, with metal grip dots.)
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #37
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I wouldn't expect a frontlit 5" reader to cost the same as a 6". Maybe 75% of the price. But there would certainly be a saving for size difference. Would you expect a 15" laptop to cost the same as a 17"?
That is part of the reason they are not made. People expect a lower price and manufacturers can not profitably sell them at the price people expect.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #38
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Price is probably more determined by how many they make than by size.

What I'd like is a 5" ereader shaped like a phone. That would be perfect. But I don't expect one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Price is probably more determined by how many they make than by size.

What I'd like is a 5" ereader shaped like a phone. That would be perfect. But I don't expect one.

Barry
The InkCase Plus is shaped like a phone. It fits on the back of a phone but can be used by itself. Look in our wiki. They have two sizes, 4.3 and 5.2.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just took a look at the InkCase link you gave and there's just not enough information about how to use it stand-alone to give me any idea whether I'm interested. Can you tell me more?

My phone is a Galaxy S5 although I'm much more interested in a stand-alone reader that doesn't depend on my phone's battery. I do some reading on the phone and I'd do more if it wasn't such a big power drain. Also the OLED screen isn't as easy on my eyes as e-ink.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:58 AM   #41
Ami_K
Ami_K began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 | Hanlin V5 | Nexus 7 | Lenovo Yoga tab 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Buying an 8-year-old device doesn't sound like a very good idea. Surely there are more modern devices you could use, aren't there?
5" is often just small enough to fit in side pockets and it tucks away nicely in the hand, it's a little more usable with one hand as well as you can reach across the screen with a thumb or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Merry Christmas!

Same issue I have. I like taking it out of its case, but it has a sticky feel to it. Generally the "rubberized" plastic is nice when it's new, but it tends to degrade. Same thing happened to my original Nook Simple Touch, which is also nice for reading outside of the case but now has that "sticky" feel.
I avoid all plasticizers, I have never had one of those "rubberised feel" coatings last, sometimes they even eat into other plastics when in contact.

Quote:
I think there IS a very definite market for a 5" frontlit eink reader, as opposed to a smart phone app. It's easier on the eyes than a smart phone and easier to slip into a handbag or pocket than a 6" eink reader.
If there was a new one, I'd buy it. But then again every feature I need is on the 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why not just replace the battery (since it's easily accessible) on the V5 instead of considering replacing the device with something that may have a battery that's as old (or nearly as old) as the unit being replaced?
There's only one replacement and the seller won't ship it out of China. Nothing else fits either, the battery is extremely thin. The best I could do is attach an external battery or make a modified case, there's features missing that I want so.. time to upgrade.

I don't need lighting or any of the "new features". 5" are definitely out of fashion, it would be hard to sell a 5" device with similar specs of larger devices as they'd be similar in price and people equate weight and size with value.

My bag is not very large, I keep ereaders in side pockets and things so smaller is better. I think 4" is a bit too small, 6" with a case often ends up quite tight in the pockets (I have had a 6" kindle and kobo) I can reach across a screen easier with a 5" than a 6" as well.

And it is cute!
Ami_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #42
Had Ouken
Had Ouken began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350
PRS-350 is still my favourite for simply reading stories/novels.

I think its funny how it weights less or the same as brand new kindle and pocketbook hd 3 and the page-turn-speed is quicker. I wish they'd release a version with backlight.
Had Ouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #43
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos
I think you are better off leaving the purchasing of old Sony's to those who have had them for years and don't want to change. There is no support, after all.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:35 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I think you are better off leaving the purchasing of old Sony's to those who have had them for years and don't want to change. There is no support, after all.
Not much goes wrong with them — and the batteries are easy to find and replace, for the most part — the PRS-700 is the exception.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had Ouken View Post
PRS-350 is still my favourite for simply reading stories/novels.

I think its funny how it weights less or the same as brand new kindle and pocketbook hd 3 and the page-turn-speed is quicker. I wish they'd release a version with backlight.
I wish Sony was still in the eReader business. Their Readers were well built machines.

Tags
prs-350