Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #376
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Episodes nine and ten weren't too terribly awful in my opinion. Not nearly enough to redeem the show for me or anything, but tolerable. Just too many missed opportunities to easily be much better than it was (regardless of any budget constraints and/or adaptation logistics). Barely adequate writing and downright horrible directing is where I place most of the blame after watching it all. There were some terrible episodes mid-season. The director(s), quite frankly, needed me to be much more stupid and/or vapid than I am to enjoy it. And I couldn't seem to oblige!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-03-2016 at 08:47 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #377
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Watching episode Ellcrys right now. Throughout this series I have gone through the 4 stages of grief:
Denial--it can't be that bad, seriously.
Depression---oh crap, it really is complete garbage, ugh.
Anger--MTV should die! Terry Brooks is insane!
Acceptance--one of my favorite book series has been destroyed on film. It can happen, it really did happen.

Last edited by Conan46; 03-03-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: sp.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #378
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Ow... I went to check if the season has ended. The last episode was on March 1 (had to make sure not to read the description on Wikipedia). I'll see if I can temporarily travel to America and watch episodes 5-10. Even though it might not be the best book adaptation in history, I'll be damned if I don't finish it after seeing episodes 1-4. I want to at least see how they end it.
Surely someone can mail you a video tape.

What? Don't you kids still do that?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #379
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Watching episode Ellcrys right now. Throughout this series I have gone through the 4 stages of grief:
Denial--it can't be that bad, seriously.
Depression---oh crap, it really is complete garbage, ugh.
Anger--MTV should die! Terry Brooks is insane!
Acceptance--one of my favorite book series has been destroyed on film. It can happen, it really did happen.
Conan, you can get past it. The series was never intended to replace the book - just BASED on it. You just have to assume that for any book or movie.

There were things I liked about the series and yes, a lot I didn't like. Seems to me some of that imaging was based on the Hunger Games (I have not seen the movie; only bits and pieces), which is a shame. What I REALLY liked though is what kept me watching: The actors who played Allanon and Cephalo were quite outstanding, IMHO. Many of the images were also great. I'm just glad I was able to download this because I certainly won't be buying DVDs of it - just not going to be a go-to for me.. The last 2 episodes were pretty good as well and I like that they wrapped up the book while still setting up for another season.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #380
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Conan, you can get past it. The series was never intended to replace the book - just BASED on it. You just have to assume that for any book or movie.

There were things I liked about the series and yes, a lot I didn't like. Seems to me some of that imaging was based on the Hunger Games (I have not seen the movie; only bits and pieces), which is a shame. What I REALLY liked though is what kept me watching: The actors who played Allanon and Cephalo were quite outstanding, IMHO. Many of the images were also great. I'm just glad I was able to download this because I certainly won't be buying DVDs of it - just not going to be a go-to for me.. The last 2 episodes were pretty good as well and I like that they wrapped up the book while still setting up for another season.
I agree that the guy who played Allanon was awesome. I wish all the actors had been up to his level. They really did not use New Zealand landscape as well as they should have. Would have liked less post-apocalyptic backgrounds, and many more of the beautiful scenery. I pre-purchased the series and wish I hadn't. I rarely do that, but rolled the dice on this one. I'm really not overly critical of such adaptations, for instance, I thought the Earthsea miniseries was not bad. Just shocked at how bad this series turned out, and hard to imagine Terry standing by and watching it happen. He griped about what they made him do for the book adaptation of "Hook", so it is hard for me to imagine him standing by letting this happen and seemingly approving it
Advert
Old 03-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #381
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You guys didn't love that it took six-seven weeks to find Safehold, but yet they were able to ride back to Arborlon on horseback in one day (with plenty of time left over for some tender cave-sex)?

By the show's own timeframe and internal logic, I'm thinking their version of the Four Lands is about the size of a baseball diamond overall.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #382
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You guys didn't love that it took six-seven weeks to find Safehold, but yet they were able to ride back to Arborlon on horseback in one day (with plenty of time left over for some tender cave-sex)?

By the show's own timeframe and internal logic, I'm thinking their version of the Four Lands is about the size of a baseball diamond overall.
And don't forget it has two levels, basement floor has the High School Memories room
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #383
Conan46
Fanatic

Interesting over view in the article below, but I don't think it should have to compare to Game of Thrones. I almost wonder if Terry should have had the series done in Anime, that might have worked better and still appealed to a younger audience.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-real-reas...opy-1763426515
Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 AM   #384
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The Shannara series was doomed from the start. As I've been saying for a long time: many characters in books (and series) like these are way too young.

"It looks like a bunch of kids in a high school play."
"It looks like kids playing first level D&D"

Well, you know what? The original book's characters actually were kids (16-17), and the actors playing them are barely old enough to have left college... and they actually talk and behave like that. No wonder it feels like that and doesn't live up to series/movies targeted at adults, such as Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote