Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've read threads on MR in the past which said buying a second hand ereader is not a good idea. It might be registered (stolen) or have a very run down battery.
All I can give you is anecdotal evidence of course. But I bought a refurbed Kobo Aura off of eBay four years ago and it's still going strong.

I bought a Glowlight Plus used off of eBay a month ago or so and no issues there either.

Each was $50.

I dunno. I don't want to tell you to ignore the advice of others. But I have no issues buying a used reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:57 AM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks Zodwallop. I've been playing with the Kobo Mini for a few days: loading books onto it and checking them (meaning that I got lost in reading them!) and the battery hasn't given me any problems at all. It's a lovely little ereader.

I've been delaying wrapping it; having too much fun.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #18
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2, Kobo Mini
I sold the Kobo Mini to BookCat and can confirm that the battery appears to still be in great condition. I've never heavily used it to test the battery in that respect, as it was always a back-up ereader, but the battery retains its charge really well when not being used a lot. I also have a Sony 350 but the battery on it does run down. The battery on the Mini is the most impressive thing about it for me, that was why I though it might be good to pass on to someone who reads only occasionally. Like BookCat, if it had a frontlight, I'd happily have kept it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #19
Ricky D'Angelo
Evangelist
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle Keyboard/Basic/PW3
Quote:
In the UK the basic kindle is £60-£70 depending on whether it has adverts.

He rarely uses his PC and doesn't have a tablet or a smart phone, so the app wouldn't be appropriate. Years ago, he somehow managed to put The Castle of Oltranto onto a Gameboy SP using an emulator. That was my first encounter with e-reading! .
Well, since he has a PC put it to use by checking out books from the local library. . . hopefully he has wi-fi.
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/5...from_overdrive
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Well, since he has a PC put it to use by checking out books from the local library. . . hopefully he has wi-fi.
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/5...from_overdrive
Kindle e-readers do not have Overdrive integration outside the US. The link you provided includes this statement:
"We do not yet have a licence for use with a Kindle in the UK."
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
All I can give you is anecdotal evidence of course. But I bought a refurbed Kobo Aura off of eBay four years ago and it's still going strong.
I bought 3 of these for myself and 2 of them for my neighbors and all have worked well. I mostly use mine as loaners when someone in my retirement home wants to read a book I have. But I'll read a book on them from time to time and they work great.

I think this is a situation where there is no right answer. Buy a used ereader and you might be sorry. Or you might get a great deal. So far my experience has mostly been good.

The one bad experience even turned out well. The first of the Aura's I bought was from a different seller and when I got it it was a Mini. I emailed him and in his email where he apologized and explained that he thought it was called an Aura he also explained that he'd just refunded my money, which he had, and that he didn't want the Mini back. I gave it to a neighbor and I left that seller some positive feedback where I explained what happened. That was my worst experience.

I've been buying stuff on Ebay for years and I've always assumed that I'll someday get bitten. So far I've done pretty well. I did get a Tandy Model 100 that wasn't as described but was still in pretty decent shape and I'd have bought it anyway if he'd described it honestly. I've also bought a cheap Paperwhite replacement battery that turned out to be rather poor. Everything else has been really good.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Kindle e-readers do not have Overdrive integration outside the US. The link you provided includes this statement:
"We do not yet have a licence for use with a Kindle in the UK."
Thank you, but it's not a Kindle, it's a Kobo. He probably doesn't read enough to use Overdrive, but I'll mention this to him.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
I sold the Kobo Mini to BookCat and can confirm that the battery appears to still be in great condition. I've never heavily used it to test the battery in that respect, as it was always a back-up ereader, but the battery retains its charge really well when not being used a lot. I also have a Sony 350 but the battery on it does run down. The battery on the Mini is the most impressive thing about it for me, that was why I though it might be good to pass on to someone who reads only occasionally. Like BookCat, if it had a frontlight, I'd happily have kept it.
The Mini is wonderful. I just wish that 5" readers, with frontlights, were made now. This size would be so useful for reading in waiting rooms etc.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The Mini is wonderful. I just wish that 5" readers, with frontlights, were made now. This size would be so useful for reading in waiting rooms etc.

You can always use a clipon book light like you would for a hard copy book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #25
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying an ereader, for Christmas, for a friend who reads only occasionally. He was a little upset when his Pandigital Novel recently died (it was a freebie with some sort of magazine deal years ago). He doesn't read enough to justify the cost of the Basic Kindle.

Is there anything cheaper? Some little known brand which hardly anyone uses?

I realise this is a difficult question. Thanks lots for any suggestions.
They have sales at times. The basic kindle is the cheapest I think. Only thing I can see that is cheap is the basic kindle fire which I think is $50
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #26
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Quote:
Thank you, but it's not a Kindle, it's a Kobo. He probably doesn't read enough to use Overdrive, but I'll mention this to him.
You can use overdrive on kindle but you have to do it on a PC and it directs you to an amazon page where you can download the library book to your kindle. It is just easier on a kobo for its built into the actual device
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #27
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
You can use overdrive on kindle but you have to do it on a PC and it directs you to an amazon page where you can download the library book to your kindle. It is just easier on a kobo for its built into the actual device
Is a PC really necessary, or can a smartphone or tablet be used? Also bookcat keeps mentioning the UK, so Overdrive doesn't work with a Kindle?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 AM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is a PC really necessary, or can a smartphone or tablet be used? Also bookcat keeps mentioning the UK, so Overdrive doesn't work with a Kindle?
Tablet (& presumably smartphone) works fine, using a web browser. Yeah OD/Kindle is US only.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #29
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2, Kobo Mini
Quote:

The Sony 350 is even neater and more compact, but the Mini is great, but with both - no light, no fun! Having a clip-on light totally negates from how small and portable they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Not in the UK, you can't use a Kindle for library books here. That was the reason I bought the Kobo Mini, I just didn't use it enough because I've become so used to using a lighted ereader.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 12-26-2018 at 03:30 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap ereader