Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #46
mink
mink began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Mini
nhedgehog, m4mmon, thank you for the great replies and the astounding research ! I am trying to reproduce this hack on my PocketBook Mini whose internal SDCard died and is now stuck in read-only mode.

From what I gather from your posts, the pocketbook checks the serial and CID of the sdcard to ascertain if it is genuine? And so we can trick monitor.app into reading the serial from a file? What I didn't get is what I should put in the .sd_original_serial file. Is it the serial of the old card? the serial of the new one? The CID of either of them?

Thanks a lot for your help!
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:48 AM   #47
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Its the CID of the old card.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #48
mink
mink began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Mini
Thank you for the clarification ! Unfortunately I damaged some capacitors while opening the back cover and now my reader is *really* toasted. Nonetheless, I'll keep all of that in mind for my next PocketBook !
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #49
Tungus
Tungus began at the beginning.

Device: 624, 626
Hello. I have tried this method on the 624 but without success. Only hourglasses.
nhedgehog, m4mmon could you give an advice for experiments?
Tungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #50
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Afraid not. Just follow the instructions exactly and use the CID of the old MicroSD card. It should work.
Advert
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #51
Tungus

I don't know but with 624 this method doesn't work for me.
I did:
1. Cloned my old card on a new one 32GB Samsung card
2. Inserted card into Ubuntu laptop
3. Copied cramfs.img to Desktop of the laptop
4. cramfsck -x /home/my/Desktop/new/cram cramfs.img
5. Modified path to serial number in /home/my/Desktop/new/cram/bin/monitor.app by HEXEDITOR as advised
6. Copied modified file from /home/my/Desktop/new/cram/bin/monitor.app to /media/my/disk1/monitor.1225patched.app
7. Add .sn_original_serial in /media/my/b39138bc-e978-af40-a98....
8. ...:/media/my/disk1# ln -fs monitor.1225patched.app pocketbook
9. ...:/media/my/disk1# ln -s bin/monitor.app pocketbook.ORG
(colors symbolic links have different colors: Green and Red. Is it OK?)
10. Remove from Ubuntu and insert into 624, power on and... nothing, only clocks.

What is wrong in my procedure?
Maybe somebody has any results with 624, please inform me about yours status?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #52
nhedgehog
Guru

Not sure about your filepaths. They seem wrong to me.
My monitor.patched.app was copied into /sdb8 and my .sd_original_serial landed in /sdb9.
Step 8:
Rename old symlink:
mv /dev/sdb8/pocketbook /dev/sdb8/pocketbook.old
Step 9:
Create new symlink to monitor.patched.app:
a) go to the directory where monitor.patched.app was copied into:
cd /media/sdb8
b) create the symlink:
ln -s monitor.patched.app pocketbook
Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #53
Tungus

Thank you very much!
I found a problem. My HEXEDITOR made monitor.pathed.app file without execution policies. Today I used hexeditor directly from terminal and... Pocketbook works now.
However I continue experiments and tried to extend the first partition to 14G.
And again some troubles... All files are available but the info in Pocketbook said size of the disk is 4G.
Could you check in your device, is this partition really extended?
May be I have mistake in backup/restoring procedure. I used DD if=.. of=..
Is it OK?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #54
nhedgehog
Guru

Good to hear that you got it working.
For increading the first partition (the one with the manuals etc. on it) I followed exactly the good tutorial m4mmon provided:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=39
Everything worked fine and the pocketbook does show the increased memory.
You probably forgot to write the changes made with fdisk, command: w

If something messes up the restoring procedure of the image, the sd card will probably refuse to boot up.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 01-23-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #55
sonix
sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.sonix is that somebody.

Device: PocketBook 626
Good afternoon.

First of all I would like to thank to m4mmon, nhedgehog and rkomar for their huge contribution in this case. I have also "experience" with read-only internal flash micro sd card, but with help from this thread I have successfully replaced internal sd card.

I used 8 GiB sd card as replacement and I did not modified "First sector value". Because I have usb card reader I looked for another solution how to get CID from original internal sd card. I used for read out arduino uno and micro sd card adapter with soldered wires. After I knew CID I searched it in card image and surprisingly I found it on file system in file "fwinfo.txt" located on root of /dev/sdc9 ("secure" partition with size 98MiB) and also on /dev/sdc1 ("user" partition with size 3,2GiB). This file contains line "sdsn: 0x12300423" where the number starting with 0x was the CID in my case.
sonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 AM   #56
nhedgehog
Guru

Read CID

So much trouble.
Here is a little app which writes the CID (and other infos) into a file (deviceinformation.txt) on the external card.
I probably should have posted that earlier.

Edit: Updated the App (changed some names in it and included an readme.txt)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Serial.zip (1.0 KB, 1342 views)

Last edited by nhedgehog; 02-08-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #57
kursatcoskun
kursatcoskun began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2
Hello friend. I did everything in this topic to recover my Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 but not work. I dont know why. I have a micro sd card, it is 16 gb Sandisk Ultra. I created an image from old micro sd card and burn this image to the sandisk card with dd if=backup.img of=/dev/sdb command. (sdb is my sd card location)

Then I patched monitor.app in linux using hexedit.

Then I used my Android tablet to lern CID of old micro sd card. (It is 32 char. length)

After that I put new sd card to my TL2's internal memory and power up. But nothing work. Only hourglasss on screen and light on-off loop.
kursatcoskun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #58
nhedgehog
Guru

CID: Mine are only 8 chars length.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #59
kursatcoskun
kursatcoskun began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
CID: Mine are only 8 chars length.
Maybe my android tablet has a problem? It shows me 32 char long string. How can I use your serial.app to learn CID?
kursatcoskun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:17 AM   #60
nhedgehog
Guru

Use empty MicroSD, formated FAT32.
Create folder on this MicroSD:
applications
Put the serial.app into folder applications.
Run the app @Serial, which is now available on the Pocketbook.

On this MicroSD now there is a file Geraeteinformation.txt
In this file this is what you are looking for:
Interne Speicherkarte
CID-interne SD: 0x27b00804
Groesse-interne SD: 7763968

In Linux you can now create the file .sd_original_serial. In my case with this command:
echo 0x27b00804 > .sd_original_serial

Last edited by nhedgehog; 02-07-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Tags
pb626, pocketbook