Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #1651
Semwize

Semwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo
Code:
Enabled: yes
Code:
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x91B41A, Find: 4, Replace: 17}
After rebooting the device you will see Pocket
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #1652
jeffcpc
jeffcpc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Code:
Enabled: yes
Code:
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x91B41A, Find: 4, Replace: 17}
After rebooting the device you will see Pocket
Thank you Semwize. I successfully made the patched file and installed it on my device. Now it works like the way I wanted

jeffcpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #1653
alehel
Connoisseur
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'd like to see a future firmware update activate Overdrive integration inn all countries where Overdrive is available. The Oslo Public Library in Norway (Deichman) offers Overdrive for ebook lending. However, I can't browse and download directly on my Kobo Clara HD because Norway is not an english speaking country. Kobo support stated that integrated overdrive is only supported in English speaking countries which makes no sense to me. This means I need to use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer ebooks I borrow.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #1654
vikbi8
vikbi8 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
Hello,
I'd like to add some password to read an ePub. Some naughty books shouldn't be readable by a child. But some other should. So a password / ePub would be great.
Thank You
vikbi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #1655
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikbi8 View Post
Hello,
I'd like to add some password to read an ePub. Some naughty books shouldn't be readable by a child. But some other should. So a password / ePub would be great.
Thank You
You can already require a PIN code when waking or powering on your Kobo.

Or are you asking for an different passcode for every ebook on your ereader? That level of granularity is going to be insane to manage.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #1656
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikbi8 View Post
Hello,
Thank You
How do you prevent a child reading a printed version of a naughty book?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #1657
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
How do you prevent a child reading a printed version of a naughty book?
I'd keep them in a closet with the cleaning supplies. The kids never looked there while hunting their Christmas presents.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #1658
vikbi8
vikbi8 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can already require a PIN code when waking or powering on your Kobo.

Or are you asking for an different passcode for every ebook on your ereader? That level of granularity is going to be insane to manage.
Hello, it could be a single Adult password (parental code). And an option lock could be added to the parameters menu on each epub (in the ... menu). If the pub is protected, it could be open only with parental code.

It seems to be the easiest way.

Thank you,
vikbi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:47 AM   #1659
Ron B.
Ron B. began at the beginning.

Device: Aura 132 Gb
Noticed my old aura that bricked during update still gets seen by windows device handler briefly. Makes me wonder if there is an arm processor tool out there I could use to flash an OS on to it?

Noticed sometimes Koreader can load huge a SD directory fast and other times I have to take five while I wait for it.

Any partition support for SD cards?

It be nice if the power light lit when you plugged it in to charge.
Ron B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #1660
Phil_C
Zealot
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-300Black/350Silver/350Blue/T3Black x2/Kobo Clara HD
I'd like to see the footer contain both the total number of pages in the book AND the number of pages remaining in the current chapter. Simultaneously.

PRS+ on the older Sony readers did this nicely.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #1661
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
I'd like to see the footer contain both the total number of pages in the book AND the number of pages remaining in the current chapter. Simultaneously.

PRS+ on the older Sony readers did this nicely.
I would like too, it is one of the things I miss in the book.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:21 AM   #1662
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
By a coincidence, something like this came up elsewhere recently, and I have been thinking about my preferences for progress displays in different places. And that has made me think of page counting.

Firstly, there are a couple of problems for Kobo to do this.

In epubs, they don't do per-chapter page counts. I don't know if that is a decision on their part, or that the Adobe RMSDK doesn't support it. Or whether it can be changed.

For kepubs, the per-chapter and per-book page counts use different algorithms. The per-chapter is the number of screens. The per-book is based on the word count (and for the record, the chapter graph in the stats is the word count). A page is 320 words per page which means the page division is similar to the Adobe version; it can cover multiple screens. That means if they simply displayed the two right now, the page numbers would change at different times (and can you imagine the bug reports here if this was the case?). So, they would probably have to decide on one algorithm or the other. And that prompts: Which version should they use?

Quote:
the number of pages remaining in the current chapter
Do you mean that literally? Do you want to see something like "5 pages left". The current per-chapter page count is still "Page 2 of 10" (to lazy to pull the device out of my bag to check exactly). Do you want a countdown to the end of the chapter? Or do you just want to see both the current chapter and book counts at the same time?

That one is a curiosity. The percent read increases. The time left decreases. Should the page count be how many left or how far from the start. I think I prefer the distance from the start, but, that might just be what I am used to. And for the page countdown, what do you put at the top of the page? "1 page left" doesn't seem right But, neither does "0 pages left". "Last page" would be better, but that just moves the problem to the page before that: "1 left" or "2 left" or "2nd last".

And what about the navigation bar? Currently for epubs it is full-book and kepubs it is chapter. Does the latter need to change?

I think I better stop. Just realised if we have "Last page", then the one before it is "Penultimate page". And obviously the one before that is "Antipenultimate page". I'm descending into absurdity.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #1663
Phil_C
Zealot
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-300Black/350Silver/350Blue/T3Black x2/Kobo Clara HD
Well, this seems to have opened up the proverbial can of worms.

From my simple point of view, I prefer the "real" Adobe page numbers rather than the number of screens. IIRC, PRS+ on the Sony readers showed the current page number of the book followed by the number of pages remaining in the current chapter in parentheses. So:

224 (6)

If on the last page of the chapter:

230 (0)

I do not know if this is possible on the Kobo. It is a personal preference which others may not like. But I believe just about everyone liked it in PRS+. I don't need to see a chapter name or "page ## of ##". Just the above representation would do.

I'm using kepubs right now with the option to show the Adobe-type page number of the book. When I switch to the chapter pages remaining view, the remaining number of screens in the chapter is shown. That is an odd combination. I can live with it, but it is a bit uncomfortable.

Anyway, you are the one who can determine if something like this is possible. Thanks for thinking about this, and thanks for all your great work.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #1664
MGlitch
Guru
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Just a reminder that this isn’t an official feature request method. Kobo employees may check this but they may or may not be in a position to do anything about it. Even if they have the required skills and access to the code.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo