Notices

View Poll Results: Do you report inaccurate reviews:
yes 7 33.33%
No 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Do you report inaccurate reviews?

Do you report inaccurate reviews?

I just had a look at the play.com site as another friend is thinking about the reader and I noticed a review that essentially implied that the kindle was better because it doesn't "flash" between pages.

A 2nd review states that the battery dies within a day and that it cannot be charged from a wall socket and only USB.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I don't remember ever reading reviews AFTER I've purchased a product, so I don't notice if someone's review is inaccurate in those cases.

I have noticed though, that often personal reviews of products are written by people who have just purchased the product and had it for a day to a week and are still not that familiar with all it's features or how to use them. They are often overly critical because they expected it to do so much more than it was designed to do. I never put much stock in brand new owner reviews for my pre-purchase information.

Often (or always), in order to report an inaccurate review I might come across, similar to the ones you mention, you need to register (sign-up) with the site, often agree to accept advertising e-mails, etc., that I'm not willing to subject myself to.

What bugs me more is when a retailer describes a product they sell incorrectly. Such is the case with Walmart.com. On their site the Sony PRS is described as: "SONY E-READER 6" LCD PORTABLE E-BOOK." Yet the first item under KEY FEATURES says: Technology: E Ink "electronic paper"

Wait . . . what?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Nope, I don't report bad/wrong reviews. I tried years ago with Amazon with a similar situation. I forget what it was exactly, but someone had written a horrible review of a good product based on an aspect of the product they just didn't get. I got a reply saying that they don't remove user reviews except for inappropriate content, and that anyone's experience with a product, whether right or wrong, was fair game.

I think this is the stance of most etailers, and I think a lot of people know it. I've seen a lot of joke reviews out there, from VCRs that don't make a proper toasted cheese sandwich in the front loading sandwich slot to products that come in a box that's the perfect size for breakdancing.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I agree with Renaldo, reporting them won't work. I just warn people that the review isn't accurate and point them to a less prejudiced review.

Personally, when I read something, I always take it with a grain of salt, and go searching for others. Only when I see several reviews, which state the same fact (be it positive or negative) and they are really different reviews (not copies of each other) will I start to believe they've actually thought about that feature...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Play's guidelines state that you must not post false information. I have reported the fact that both reviews (at the very least by implication) contain false information. If they choose not to action those reports thats their right. But I feel that as one of them was on the front page of the item I had to at least make the effort.

And in fact on looking today _both_ the reviews I complained about have been removed.
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
Play's guidelines state that you must not post false information. I have reported the fact that both reviews (at the very least by implication) contain false information. If they choose not to action those reports thats their right. But I feel that as one of them was on the front page of the item I had to at least make the effort.

And in fact on looking today _both_ the reviews I complained about have been removed.
Usually what I do is write my own review and state in the review that the previous reviewers have some false information. I usually list what they are and the correct information.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
If i'm really interested in a review and that certain review is inaccurate then i report it or - if it's possible - comment it.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Commenting I'll do. But are we talking here about a professional review or a user review?

(a professional review is generally also a user review, but I'll just assume they have more experience with different devices that do the same, aka different readers here)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Riocaz

Both, but the 2 examples were "user" reviews on the play.com webpage. However given the inaccuracy of either "review" i seriously doubt either had actually ever seen a reader in real life. Let alone actually used one.

I have complained about technically inaccurate professional reviews in the past though. Both here and to the publishers.