Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thanks for the answer, @jcn363. Unfortunately, the deactivation of the patch »Rename new home screen footer« had no effect.
Any attempt to open a book will restart the device.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina Schein View Post
Thanks for the answer, @jcn363. Unfortunately, the deactivation of the patch »Rename new home screen footer« had no effect.
Try a manual reinstall of 4.10.11655. That will remove all patches. It should work from there.

Use the following link to get the correct link to download the firmware for your H2O.

https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This works perfectly, @JSWolf. Thanks. But now, of course, I don't have patches.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #19
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
This works perfectly, @JSWolf. Thanks. But now, of course, I don't have patches.
None of the patches should have caused crashes, especially not the zlib ones. To disable all patches, you can just remove the overrides section and run kobopatch.bat again.

If you have time, you can first try without any of the libnickel patches. If it crashes, that's unusual, and I will look into it further. Then, try disabling all the ones which have the hex replacements at different offsets. If it crashes, then see if you can narrow down which one. Finally, try the remaining patches and see if it works. If you don't have time, I'll look into it when I have a chance.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-02-2018 at 02:06 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan

Thank's a lot, @geek1011. I will test it with the individual patches in the next week after working.
Advert
Old 09-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Thank's a lot, @geek1011. I will test it with the individual patches in the next week after working.
OK, thanks.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
None of the patches should have caused crashes, especially not the zlib ones. To disable all patches, you can just remove the overrides section and run kobopatch.bat again.

If you have time, you can first try without any of the libnickel patches. If it crashes, that's unusual, and I will look into it further. Then, try disabling all the ones which have the hex replacements at different offsets. If it crashes, then see if you can narrow down which one. Finally, try the remaining patches and see if it works. If you don't have time, I'll look into it when I have a chance.
I'm having the same problem when I installed the patches on my Glo HD, opening any book restarts the device. I didn't use the kobopatch.yaml file, I just edited the files manually like under the old system. I didn't change any parameters, just changed no to yes where I wanted.

I'll have to go through Martina's list to see which of the same patches were enabled and try to figure out which patch if possible as you suggested.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #23
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's the "ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins" patch in libnickel that's causing the reader to reboot when opening a book.

And something odd, when I enabled the "Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen" in nickel the first time by manually editing each file, it created the KoboRoot.tgz file successfully. For all this testing though I used the kobopatch.yaml to enable all patches, and when using it, it pops up with a fatal error and fails to create the file. Possibly it's not compatible with "Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen" and I missed a warning?

These are the patches I enabled, in case there's a conflict between the 2 I'm having problems with that I missed:

Spoiler:
Code:
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
    Show all games: yes
    Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: no
    Custom reading footer style: yes
    Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
    Increase the cover size in library: yes
    Increase the view details container size: yes
    Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: yes
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    My 24 line spacing values: yes
    Custom left & right margins: yes
    Custom font sizes: yes
    Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
    ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins: no
    Custom kepub default margins: yes
    Custom footer (page number text): yes
    Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs: yes
    Force user line spacing in KePubs: yes
    Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2): yes
    Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2): yes
    ePub constant font sharpness: yes
    KePub constant font sharpness: yes
    Always display chapter name on navigation menu: yes
    Clock display duration: yes
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes
    Default ePub monospace font (Courier): yes
    Force user line spacing in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): yes
    Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): yes
    Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt): yes

I can live without either of those patches, but in case this helps you pin down any issue (or user error is entirely possible too! ... just smack me if that's the case).
Old 09-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Ripplinger: It's happened before .

(I'll readily admit that I never tried to re-enable both of them, even after the fix).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Ripplinger: It's happened before .

(I'll readily admit that I never tried to re-enable both of them, even after the fix).
You're right, both can't be enabled, I just tried*. Which is ok for me, I always have 4 books showing on the top row, so I'll never see their sneaky tactic to stuff an ad in there.

So that only leaves how I managed to screw up the "ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins" patch. Although maybe not my fault, since Martina above had the same issue. Or we both screwed up and tried to use it with another patch where we shouldn't have.

*Edit: Both can't be enabled only when using the kobopatch.yaml file.

I just tested it again now, thinking maybe I forgot to enable one on the initial patch. But when both "Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen" and "Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen" are enabled, but not using the kobopatch.yaml file, just manually editing each file, the KoboRoot.tgz file is successfully created and patches the reader just fine.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-02-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:23 AM   #26
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
After installation on my reader it is not possible to open eBooks. As soon as I try, the reader restarts automatically. I tried this with several eBooks.
I think I've found the problem: Here is a correction (in red) to the ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins patch:
Code:
    # QString.arg(double, ...) --> QString.arg(int64, ...)
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4843B8, FindH: 97 F7 DE E9, ReplaceH: 8B F7 3E EA}
This is the complete patch with the correction applied (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml):
Spoiler:
Code:
ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins:
  - Enabled: no
  - PatchGroup: ePub padding-bottom alternatives
  - Description: |
      This patch sets the @page margin sizes in epubs, overriding any @page margin
      set in the book's CSS stylesheet (but not in the XPGT stylesheet, see below).

By default the top and bottom margins are set to be adjustable, their size
      similar to the left/right margin size set by the adjustment slider. There
      are options to set the top and/or bottom margin to a fixed size instead.

Note that @page margins are seperate from (and overlap) both the body margins
      set in the book and the left/right margins set from the adjustment slider,
      and are added to any page margins set in the Adobe XPGT stylesheet if the
      book has one (e.g. page-template.xpgt). For this reason you might want to
      consider using the Modify ePub Calibre plugin to remove any body margins and
      XPGT stylesheet margins before sideloading the book, or perhaps enabling the
      `Ignore ePub Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt)` patch.

Also note that a side-effect of this patch is that the body padding-bottom is
      removed from the built-in stylesheet, which means that there will no longer
      be a blank line added automatically at the end of chapters.

See at the bottom of the patch for replacement values that can be used to
      tune the size of the margins to suit different devices and reading modes.
    # Push an extra 8 bytes of scratch space onto the stack
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x483FB0, FindH: C9 B0, ReplaceH: CB B0}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x483FB4, FindH: 02 AF, ReplaceH: 04 AF}
    # Save this value for the third stack argument of the following function call
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x484348, FindH: AD F8 04 20, ReplaceH: 02 92 01 92}
    # getReadingLineHeight(...) --> getReadingLeftMargin(...)
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x48439C, FindH: AA F7 8A EF, ReplaceH: 8B F7 DC EE}
    # (Setup call to QString.arg)
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4843A0, FindH: 20 22 4F F0 FF 33, ReplaceH: 00 23 01 22 0A 21}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4843A6, FindH: 07 F1 70 0A, ReplaceH: 00 93 01 91}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4843AA, FindH: AD F8 04 20 00 93, ReplaceH: 42 43 92 08 01 3A}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4843B0, FindH: 50 46 67 23, ReplaceH: B8 BF 00 22}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4843B4, FindH: 00 22 49 46, ReplaceH: 20 A8 49 46}
    #
    # (There wasn't room to load sl above)
    # mov r1,sl; --> adds r1,sp,#128
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4843BC, FindH: 51 46, ReplaceH: 20 A9}
    # (Remember to pop scratch space if necessary)
    #
    #      padding-bottom: %1em !important;\n
    # --> }@page{margin:%1px 00px %1px}body{
  - FindReplaceString:
      Find: "\x20padding-bottom: %1em !important;\n"
      Replace: "}@page{margin:%1px 00px %1px}body{"
    #
    #
    # *** Replacement values start here, don't change anything above ***
    #
    # Optional replacement value: Uncomment for a FIXED TOP MARGIN size in px,
    # default 25px. Replacement value is margin size, two digits:
    # (Leave commented out for an adjustable top margin.)
# - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x0E, Find: "%1", Replace: "25"}
    #
    # Optional replacement value: Uncomment for a FIXED BOTTOM MARGIN size in px,
    # default 00px. Replacement value is margin size, two digits:
    # (Leave commented out for an adjustable bottom margin.)
# - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x18, Find: "%1", Replace: "00"}
    #
    # Optional replacement value: Uncomment to set the minimum LEFT/RIGHT MARGIN
    # size in px, default 15px. (This margin will overlap the left/right margin
    # set with the adjustment slider, not add to it.) Replacement value is margin
    # size, two digits
# - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x13, Find: "00", Replace: "15"}
    #
  - BaseAddress: 0
    #
    # Replacement value: Sets the step-size of the ADJUSTABLE top/bottom margin
    # (if any) in quarter-pixels. These suggested values should be very close to
    # the 1% step size of the left/right margins set by the slider. Larger values
    # will make the top/bottom margins larger than the left/right margins.
    # Suggested values:
    #   24 (Touch/Mini)
    #   30 (Glo/Aura/Aura2ed)
    #   43 (AuraHD/H2O/GloHD/ClaraHD)
    #   56 (Aura One)
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x4843A2, Find: 1, Replace: 30}
    #
    # Replacement value: Set this to the size of the device's built-in top margin,
    # in pixels. This value is subtracted from the adjustable top/bottom margin
    # (if any) to compensate for any unremovable built-in top margin.
    # Suggested values are:
    #   0 For full-screen reading mode (fullScreenReading=true, all devices)
    #  15 for normal reading mode (with custom or disabled footer, all devices)
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x4843AE, Find: 1, Replace: 0}

(I haven't tested this myself though, I'm not running this firmware version on my Glo.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #27
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Quote:
The patch for the current firmware does not work on my reader (Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1).
The KoboRoot.tgz is generated without any problems.

I have not changed anything in the yaml files in the src folder except for a few parameters. The activation of the individual patches is done by the kobopatch.yaml.

After installation on my reader it is not possible to open eBooks. As soon as I try, the reader restarts automatically. I tried this with several eBooks.

A factory reset also had no effect.

Anyone got any tips for me?

My changes to the kobopatch.yaml:
Spoiler:
Code:
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
    Show all games: yes
    Disable reading footer: yes
    Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
    Custom synopsis/font size: yes
    Fix reading stats/author name cut off when series is showing: yes
    Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
    Changing the info panel in full size screensaver- beta 1: yes
    Increase the cover size in library: yes
    Increase the view details container size: yes
    Increase size of kepub chapter progress chart: yes
    Custom font to collection and author titles: yes
    Increase headlines font: yes
    New home screen subtitle custom font: yes
    Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: yes
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Rename new home screen footer: yes
    My 24 line spacing values: yes
    Custom left & right margins: yes
    Custom font sizes: yes
    Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
    ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins: yes
    Custom kepub default margins: yes
    Custom footer (page number text): yes
    Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts: yes
    Set KePub hyphenation: yes
    Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs: yes
    Force user line spacing in KePubs: yes
    Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2): yes
    Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2): yes
    ePub constant font sharpness: yes
    KePub constant font sharpness: yes
    Always display chapter name on navigation menu: yes
    KePub stylesheet additions: yes
    Allow searches on Extra dictionaries: yes
    Clock display duration: yes
    Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta: yes
    Wikipedia Search language: yes
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes
    Default ePub monospace font (Courier): yes
    Force user line spacing in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): yes
    Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): yes
    Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt): yes

I make all changes to the patch files with notepad++.
I had this problem the firmware before with the My24 line spacing patch. But meanwhile this was fixed. I installed the latest patch 4.10.11655 without any issues.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think I've found the problem: Here is a correction (in red) to the ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins patch:
Code:
(I haven't tested this myself though, I'm not running this firmware version on my Glo.)
This fixed the problem with that patch for me on the Glo HD. Opening a book no longer restarts the device with this change. Thanks for hunting that down so quickly.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-03-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does Kobopatch tell us of a problem if patches are enabled that are not compatible? If so, can this be added in?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #30
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
This fixed the problem with that patch for me on the Glo HD. Opening a book no longer restarts the device with this change. Thanks for hunting that down so quickly.
Thanks for your help, @GeoffR. My problem has also been solved. The eBooks on the reader can be opened again without any problems and the reader does not restart automatically.

Tags
kobopatch, patch32lsb, patches, patching