Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #46
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Agreed. Something to compete with the Kindle Basic. It's possible that Walmart is already planning promotions to sell Kobo devices. I guess we'll have to (impatiently) wait and see.
Since Kobo has been pretty innovative in recent years maybe this will help get Amazon interested in using a little more imagination than they've been doing in the last few years. This might result in newer Kindles as well.

It's all just guessing at this point but this could turn out to be a serious milestone in ebooks.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:19 PM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
When I log in to the kobo website, it acknowledges me as a customer of Broadside Bookshop in Northampton, MA. I'm 90% sure that Broadside gets a percentage of the price of every book I buy, whether it's from the Kobo website or directly from my Kobo.

Here's a link to the page on Broadside's website about the program: http://www.broadsidebooks.com/kobo/help/about

Shari
I bought my Glo from an "indie bookstore", and I'm pretty sure they don't get anything when I buy from Kobo. I believe it is how you create your account that matters.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I bought my Glo from an "indie bookstore", and I'm pretty sure they don't get anything when I buy from Kobo. I believe it is how you create your account that matters.
I'm not sure. I bought a Kobo Glo used that had originally been bought at Family Christian stores and there was still a file that identified its origin (also a couple free books came over with it). So maybe they do something like that with the independent stores also. I don't know, it's just a guess.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #49
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
The announcement was even on the Japanese NHK news on PBS this evening. Walmart and Rakuten also combining for a food delivery scheme apparently.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:05 AM   #50
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apple only collects on digital sales, not physical sales so Amazon does not pay the "Apple tax".
I never noticed that digital media was not allowed to be purchased in the Amazon app. I do all my Amazon shopping on my iPad in Safari. Thanks for pointing that out.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 03:10 AM   #51
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It seems to me, Apple is more interested in throttling eBook sales, not promoting them. I understand they're like 'the mob', if you want to do business in MY neighborhood, you got to make sure I get a 'taste'!
Unlike the mob, Apple built the infrastructure. Every store owner wants a piece of what sells under their roof. If you want to argue that a 30% piece is too much, you won't find me disagreeing with you, however.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:17 AM   #52
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Well I am happy that I can finally buy a KOBO device and see one in store before buying. I only wish they will sell at independent book stores as well so to help them compete with B&N and Amazon
Kobo tried that. It didn't work out well. My local indy shop didn't know what to do with them and stuck them off to the side away from traffic. They assumed that every Kobo they sold gave them a magical kickback every time a reader bought an eBook. I tried to explain to them that they needed to help customers go through a special portal to link their accounts to the indy store, but it was useless. I'm sure not all indy shops were like that, but there was another problem. There was no way to link a customer like me who had his own account previous to buying a Kobo there (I used the iOS app), so the indy shop received no percentage from any books I purchased.

Walmart's plan sounds like a better one for all involved. It will also be the first eBook seller to give Apple a piece, if I understand the news release correctly, because people can use the app to buy books. But it also sounds like I'll have to install a separate app from my Kobo eReader app to purchase books. That seems cumbersome.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #53
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

"In addition, Walmart and Rakuten Kobo Inc. have formed an exclusive retail alliance that will enable Walmart to begin selling eBooks and audiobooks, as well as offer Rakuten Kobo eReaders, in Walmart stores and online at Walmart.com in the United States starting later this year."
So will we soon see an Aura One with audiobook support?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #54
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Unlike the mob, Apple built the infrastructure. Every store owner wants a piece of what sells under their roof. If you want to argue that a 30% piece is too much, you won't find me disagreeing with you, however.
30% is pretty much the standard for digital goods. Steam, Amazon, Google all take about the same cut.

Is it too much? Maybe. Digital distribution through an existing platform is cost-efficient, especially if those platforms also provide customer support, handle the payment process (including fees), supply the resources (servers, bandwidth) and promote the products to their customer base. I can see why Amazon doesn't want to give Apple a cut for selling ebooks through the iOS app, but likewise, I understand why Apple doesn't make exceptions.

Traditional stores take "reverse cuts", i.e. they mark up the prices. Depending on the product, the markup ranges from single digit percentages to 100% and more. Essentially it's the same thing.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #55
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have to wonder though about whether the units will be identical to what is sold through Kobo. Many well known brands are offered for less through Wal-Mart because they are specially produced for Wal-Mart often with fewer features or cheaper parts.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
30% is pretty much the standard for digital goods. Steam, Amazon, Google all take about the same cut.

Is it too much? Maybe. Digital distribution through an existing platform is cost-efficient, especially if those platforms also provide customer support, handle the payment process (including fees), supply the resources (servers, bandwidth) and promote the products to their customer base. I can see why Amazon doesn't want to give Apple a cut for selling ebooks through the iOS app, but likewise, I understand why Apple doesn't make exceptions.

Traditional stores take "reverse cuts", i.e. they mark up the prices. Depending on the product, the markup ranges from single digit percentages to 100% and more. Essentially it's the same thing.
One of the jobs I had in high school was working in a service station. The mark up they had on car parts was rather eye opening.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #57
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Well I am happy that I can finally buy a KOBO device and see one in store before buying. I only wish they will sell at independent book stores as well so to help them compete with B&N and Amazon
Thanks. Many good posts this thread and topic.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #58
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
One of the jobs I had in high school was working in a service station. The mark up they had on car parts was rather eye opening.
The mark up from automotive suppliers is very interesting as well. OEM simply means the same manufacturer, not the same quality standards. Where I work we have sent out whole runs that are grossly out of spec and simply renamed them "after market." Even "quality" after market does not have the same high standards as new car production parts.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #59
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Can I say now is the time for Kobo to roll out a firmware update offering the Aura One's integrated Overdrive for all their models? Then make a big deal about it when they start selling at Walmart.
I am not so sure that it is in the best interest of Walmart to make a big deal of a feature that will cost them, again, consequent book sales.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #60
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have to wonder though about whether the units will be identical to what is sold through Kobo. Many well known brands are offered for less through Wal-Mart because they are specially produced for Wal-Mart often with fewer features or cheaper parts.
Best Buy does that as well. I nearly bought a laptop from them till I compared features of the same model with those listed on the manufacturer's website. I did this after reading a warning about this a couple of years earlier about another laptop and that it was a common practice at Best Buy to have a special version of popular devices built for them with fewer features.

At least in the case of the laptop I compared there was a small difference in price but not nearly enough to account for the missing features. I bought the laptop on Amazon at the regular price, which was nearly the same as Best Buy's sale price.

I have bought things from Best Buy but I do so very carefully.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote