Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I fail to see how Sony or Wheel of Fortune did anything wrong. Prejudiced? Biased? lol Hardly. The show is based on words and pronunciation and enunciation are very important. If someone with an accent sees the word BARN yet vocalizes it with their accent so that it sounds like BURN how are they not wrong?

I fail to see how they were wrong. They lady didn't pronounce the word correctly therefore she was wrong. While it would be incredibly frustrating to the losing person, it still boils down to them saying the wrong word. It's not the first time this has happened. I would imagine she's seen the show & knows how important proper pronunciation is. I don't get it. She's in the wrong.
So if a Canadian was to say Barn eh, they should also lose as barn is a single syllable?

She DID pronounce it correctly. In her dialect. And to claim that it is incorrect because the judge speaks a different dialect and did not understand it is as absurd as saying she pronounced it wrong because the judege was English or Australian or Kiwi and that is not the way they pronounce it there.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
So if a Canadian was to say Barn eh, they should also lose as barn is a single syllable?

Yes!!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Look, the rules of the game are that you have to pronounce the answer correctly. She didn't so she lost. Plain and simple. Think of it as a computer game. You enter the answer the way she said it and you too would lose.

Besides, it's not Wheel's fault that Southerners talk with an accent that should have died out long ago.

If you play a game where you have to read out loud, then you better be able to properly pronounce your words.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I wonder if they tell the contestants that all answers must be given in standard pronunciation? They must get a lot of contestants from areas of the country which have their own regional accents and dialects, such as the deep south, Appalachia, Brooklyn, Boston, etc.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I wonder if they tell the contestants that all answers must be given in standard pronunciation? They must get a lot of contestants from areas of the country which have their own regional accents and dialects, such as the deep south, Appalachia, Brooklyn, Boston, etc.
I have no doubts whatsoever that it's in all the paperwork called Terms & Conditions that every participant agrees to and signs BEFORE being allowed to play. If the person chooses not to read it, let alone abide by it it's their owned damned fault isn't it?!? Whining and complaining about it isn't going to change a thing.
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
I actually watched video of the incident. The contestant was painfully stupid. The letter she asked for was a "G". It showed up in the puzzle and she was given a chance to solve the puzzle. She then, very clearly, said "Seven swans a-swimmin". There was no hint of a "G" in her answer. This is not a question of a dipthong or a regional pronunciation. It was the complete omission of the letter.

I thought the whole "never buy a Sony" thing was silly before, but now it's just ridiculous.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I think if there weren't so many song and movie titles that omit the g intentionally, it probably wouldn't have been such a huge issue (like "Singin' in the Rain" as one of the most well-known). Contestants are also verbally told before the show that they must enunciate each word properly for the win. If they've upheld the rule in the past, they had no choice but to uphold it again, even though she clearly knew the word ended in g and had it on the board.

I also think if she wasn't in the military the uproar over this wouldn't have been so huge either. If it happened to a regular citizen, everyone probably would have said "poor hick" and moved on.

It's still no reason to not buy another Sony product. Don't watch the show again if you don't like the rules they use, but you can't really blame another division for the game show.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #23
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

OMG the woman's an idiot! She says she's from Florida and 'g's are silent. They are not!! Good god woman accept that you don't speak properly and move on. Sheesh According to the YouTube news footage I watches she's with Naval Intelligence. Um...yeah...sure she is.

To use your example Ripplinger, if the puzzle was Singin' in the Rain and the contestant said SinginG in the Rain they would have lost.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I did not see the show in question. However, I live in the southeastern US and the local, native pronunciation of that word would indeed be "swimmin" with no trace of a G.

Even though standard American pronunciation and grammar are taught in the public schools, there are still many natives who talk in the local dialect. So I can believe that this woman would pronounce it "swimmin" in her daily life, off-TV.

To me, the question would be whether the contestants were given instructions ahead of time that answers must be in standard American English pronunciation. If they were warned, then I suppose she took the risk.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote