Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #4486
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Only purchased one book this month and that was to use the $3 Google credit.
Thanks for the reminder!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #4487
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Only purchased one book this month and that was to use the $3 Google credit.
I bought three books this month. One was with that $3 credit, then there was a free book available from the same series, and the third was Leviathan Wakes on sale. I read one from my TBR pile so just a little slippage. Without the Google credit I'd have been even.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #4488
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Zero books purchased for me, so far this month. I'm cured! (I'm not.)

I think the big difference for me is that I haven't taken on so many new challenges this year. It's filling out my challenge lists that normally leads to runaway purchases, and this year I am largely trying to finish challenges I have already done the buying for. Both of my purchases in January were for challenges.

I'll probably be in trouble when the new reddit fantasy bingo starts in April.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #4489
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
God I love buying ebooks and watching the download percentage bar on the kindle as its downloaded kinda like the feeling of satisfaction you get from taking plastic off a new device lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:42 AM   #4490
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've done poorly in resisting purchases, as I've already spent 1/3 of my annual budget. Mostly audiobooks and mostly for series I've already started.

Mom said she's done with westerns, so I won't be looking for any more deals on those. While she has read them all, I've only read 10% of the collection of westerns I've bought, so I've lots to catch up. Maybe I'll just load one of the ereaders up with all the westerns!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:56 AM   #4491
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Mom said she's done with westerns, so I won't be looking for any more deals on those. While she has read them all, I've only read 10% of the collection of westerns I've bought, so I've lots to catch up. Maybe I'll just load one of the ereaders up with all the westerns!
If they have been read by the intended recipient, I don't think you should feel obligated to also read them. Unless you're enjoying them, of course!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #4492
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If they have been read by the intended recipient, I don't think you should feel obligated to also read them. Unless you're enjoying them, of course!
Very true. I'm just counting the ones in my TBR versus the entire collection. What's nice about ebooks is that they take up little space, so she can re-read all she wants.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #4493
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Grrrr....I bought Sue Grafton books I through O $2.99 each. (already had up to H). I couldn't pass that sale up a second time! Well, I'll think of it as a birthday present to myself!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #4494
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yeah, I just saw the sale. Trying to resist...

Nope. Not going to happen. But I'll stick to the first few. My TBR is way to long already.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #4495
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I cannot put my kindle down. I carry it everywhere like a security blanket
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #4496
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yeah, I just saw the sale. Trying to resist...

Nope. Not going to happen. But I'll stick to the first few. My TBR is way to long already.
Several of the Sue Grafton books are available to borrow as ebooks from my local library system. I have my next one (actually the next-but-one - I already have the next one) on my Kindle wishlist but I've marked it as "lib" so I know I can also borrow it (if it's still available when I get to it).

In the UK we had a Big Deal on John Steinbeck yesterday, and I was sorely tempted, but when I'm so close to a full calendar month* with no purchases for the first time I can remember, I managed to talk myself down.

*yeah, OK, it is the short one

Last edited by DrNefario; 02-26-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #4497
DrNefario
Wizard

I made it. No books bought in February. I deserve some kind of treat...
Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #4498
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I made it. No books bought in February. I deserve some kind of treat...
Congratulations!

1st March. Four books bought. That's two subscriptions, and two special offers on books, one for me and one more for my wife.

Hmm.... I may still have a problem.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #4499
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I bought one book in February and spent $3 cash; my YTD total is five books and $8. Google promotions accounted for most of my purchases.

I feel pretty confident I've got this licked. The cessation of Kobo coupons was a huge factor, but there's also an element where I got jaded. My library is so huge that new purchases just aren't that compelling any more. I think I'm ready, tentatively, to start buying the occasional book on demand, just because I want to read it now, price be damned. Well, within reason; I've got many, many hugely expensive books on my wishlist that will never be purchased absent a lottery win.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #4500
Tarana
Wizard

Fortunately, I have all the Sue Grafton books, so wasn't further tempted. But WOW have the books increased in price! I bought all the Grafton books on sale - except for the last 2, they at most cost $3.99. I got the last 2 on sale - but get this, Y cost $6.99 and now costs $15 at Amazon. Holy cow!

Anyway, March is going to be a better month. It isn't just getting books inexpensively, but reading the books already purchased. I think of all these many boxes and boxes of books that I've been divesting (sister's and brother's) through sales and giveaways. They read all of them. I have hundreds of audiobooks that haven't been listened to and about 500 ebooks unread (thanks to Whispersync $1.99 specials and the Kobocalypse). It's just so easy to acquire, I think. Point. Click. When I had actual paper books, I think there was only 1 or 2 that were unread. I just have to remind myself that I have an estimated lifespan of about 78 (based on family) - either read more or stop buying!