Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Question Batch download of B&N eBooks?

I've got my nook 5 days ago.
I've been testing with softroot back and forth.
When going back to former firmware, nook gets reseted (= library on nook will be deleted)
When going online via WiFi, I reliably find my B&N library.
But my impression is, it automatically only downloads the newest eBooks.
The older ones I had to check and download manually.
Right now it's "only" 70 books, but already annoying enough.

Can I batch-download my entire library?
Will nook automatically download my entire library after some time in standby?
How do you download your books from B&N onto your reader?

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-07-2010 at 09:54 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've heard that you can download the books using the PC version of the Barnes and Noble eReader or straight from the web (the eReader is better. The web files seem to all be in pdb format) and sideload them into your Barnes and Noble folder (not the My Documents folder) and they'll appear on your Nook fully downloaded. I haven't tried it though.

It's not a the same as a batch download, but it's easier than downloading each and every one directly to the Nook.
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adullday View Post
I've heard that you can download the books using the PC version of the Barnes and Noble eReader or straight from the web (the eReader is better. The web files seem to all be in pdb format) and sideload them into your Barnes and Noble folder (not the My Documents folder) and they'll appear on your Nook fully downloaded. I haven't tried it though.

It's not a the same as a batch download, but it's easier than downloading each and every one directly to the Nook.
I haven't tried, whether the books from B&N's PC eReader are compatible with nook. They probably are, as it's the same account.
As a backup, I've downloaded all my eBooks via Web. And of course that's faster and more convenient.

But quite frankly, nook is my first WiFi reader (iLiad did have WiFi as well, but couldn't download books from the web like I do with nook) and I'd like to use that feature, even if it's not really necessary.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I haven't tried, whether the books from B&N's PC eReader are compatible with nook. They probably are, as it's the same account.
As a backup, I've downloaded all my eBooks via Web. And of course that's faster and more convenient.

But quite frankly, nook is my first WiFi reader (iLiad did have WiFi as well, but couldn't download books from the web like I do with nook) and I'd like to use that feature, even if it's not really necessary.
Without WiFi, nook only would be another reader I "feed" via USB. And then nook wouldn't rank #3 of my units.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by adullday View Post

BTW: I've read as well, file format sometimes would be different for the web download and the one in the eReader.
Never did happen to me so far (70 eBooks from B&N for the moment).
90% is .pdb, the other 10% are .epub and it's always the same format, whether I download vie web or eReader.
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It seems to depend on what format is available in their library, but I'm hoping they'll eventually stock epub versions of all of their books. I'd rather get the epub from another bookseller and sideload it than get stuck with only a pdb from B&N. (I know, I'm an epub snob. )

With my library, only two of my books have downloaded to my Nook or the PC software as pdb's. But from the web all of them are pdb's except for the books from Google Books and a newspaper and a magazine.

Actually this arrangement works for me. I have the epub for my Nook and Mac/PC, and the pdb versions work on my Palm Centro using eReader.com's software.
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote