Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-07-2024, 10:05 PM   #1
coolioniki
coolioniki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
How to change all tags to hierarchy

Hello! I'm trying to add all my tags to another column for easier library tagging management, I'm able to move all my tags from one column to another, but I'm not able to convert the tags to a hierarchy, eg:

long, fantasy, favourite -> long.fantasy.favourite

I am trying to do this in bulk, but it appears like this:
[your test] fantasy, long, favourite -> fantasy.long.favourite
[book 1] fantasy, long, favourite -> fantasy ::: long ::: favourite

https://imgur.com/a/uptNBDO

Adding a \ before the comma doesn't help either. Any advice appreciated!! I have 0 programming knowledge whatsoever.

Last edited by coolioniki; 03-07-2024 at 10:08 PM. Reason: image not showing
coolioniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:01 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is hard to imagine how this can be useful. IIRC tags are unordered, so you could end up with long.fantasy.favourite, fantasy.long.favourite, favourite.fantasy.long, etc. It gets worse if you have more tags. That said ...

Search & replace operates on 1 tag at a time, not the set of tags. There is never a comma in a single tag, so your search/replace does nothing.

To do what you want, you need to use the "template" search field. The template is {tags}, or perhaps in your case {#filter}. This lets you get all the tags as a single value instead as individual values. You then replace COMMA SPACE with PERIOD, as in ", " and ".". Set the destination field to tags or #filter.

Here is an image of the Search & replace dialog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	206783  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 12:30 AM   #3
coolioniki
coolioniki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is hard to imagine how this can be useful. IIRC tags are unordered, so you could end up with long.fantasy.favourite, fantasy.long.favourite, favourite.fantasy.long, etc. It gets worse if you have more tags. That said ...

Search & replace operates on 1 tag at a time, not the set of tags. There is never a comma in a single tag, so your search/replace does nothing.

To do what you want, you need to use the "template" search field. The template is {tags}, or perhaps in your case {#filter}. This lets you get all the tags as a single value instead as individual values. You then replace COMMA SPACE with PERIOD, as in ", " and ".". Set the destination field to tags or #filter.

Here is an image of the Search & replace dialog.
hey thank you so much!! i'm pretty strict with my own tagging for books so i think it will be okay. this worked for exactly what i wanted!! thanks!!
coolioniki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
python, tagging