Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-05-2024, 11:12 PM   #1
mark_e_h
Connoisseur
mark_e_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/IpadMini
metadata.db-journal - Dropbox message?

I had my Calibre books on Dropbox for a long time.

Recently I've started getting a message from Dropbox on Calibre start to
remove metadata.db-journal-xxxx from Dropbox account and all devices .
(the xxxx I think changes each time. )

Something changed, but I don't know what.
Should I do something, agree to remove, or just ignore?
thx,

Using Release: 7.6 [01 Mar, 2024], Windows 11.

mark_e_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:20 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Don't keep your library in Dropbox. It will break at some point.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 11:38 PM   #3
mark_e_h
Connoisseur

From your link:
If you must share the actual library, use a file syncing tool like DropBox or rsync instead of a networked drive.

So far (many years) worked fine.
And very useful.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:40 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The live library must be local for safety. When calibre is not running, you can one way sync a copy to Dropbox or wherever else you want to keep a backup.

Otherwise, it's not a matter of if your library will get corrupted but when.

Perhaps we should start a live counter for the number of messages to the effect of I've kept my calibre library on a NAS/cloud storage/whatever for years and now it is having problems?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:26 PM   #5
mark_e_h
Connoisseur

Perhaps I don't understand something (frequently happens).

The Calibre lib is local, and also synced on Dropbox. No one else ever looks at the Dropbox version on another device - only me, and that only rarely when I want to download/read a book on my iPad.

I can see that every time I open Calibre it syncs a metadata.opf file for every book.

Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 03:33 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Make sure the sync is only one way (mirror TO dropbox)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The live library must be local for safety. When calibre is not running, you can one way sync a copy to Dropbox or wherever else you want to keep a backup.

Otherwise, it's not a matter of if your library will get corrupted but when.

Perhaps we should start a live counter for the number of messages to the effect of I've kept my calibre library on a NAS/cloud storage/whatever for years and now it is having problems?
The problem as I see it is the could sync software if rubbish. It does not provide a one-way sync. Otherwise, you'll need to have two copies of your library in order to sync to Dropbox.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:07 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

Quote:
If you must share the actual library, use a file syncing tool like DropBox or rsync instead of a networked drive. If you are using a file-syncing tool it is essential that you make sure that both calibre and the file syncing tool do not try to access the calibre library at the same time. In other words, do not run the file syncing tool and calibre at the same time.
BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote