Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-05-2024, 07:54 AM   #1
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Problems adding a cover to an EPUB

I have an EPUB created from a webserial. It doesn't seem to have a proper cover, so I wanted to add one for my kobo's sleep screen.

I added a cover image to the metadata in Calibre.

I ran the Modify Epub plugin and asked it just to replace/add the cover.

It appeared to work, but when I sent it to my device there was still no cover.

I tried Editing the EPUB, which I've never tried before despite being a long-time Calibre user. It looked like it was set up correctly, but still didn't seem to actually have a cover when saved and opened to view or sent to device.

I also noticed that there was a suitable image already in the EPUB, so I tried setting that to be the cover. It still didn't work. On re-opening for Edit, it looked like it had replaced that image with the cover from the metadata. (I'm not sure if this is a "helpful" feature of the Editor.)

Am I missing something? Am I confusing myself?

Is the cover always the first page in an Epub, or does it need to be set up specifically to work that way? (ie. Can I tell from the Calibre epub viewer whether the cover is there?)

I guess it's also possible that my kobo cached the cover and deleting and re-sending the file didn't update it. I'm not sure what I can do about that.

I've gone back to the original file for now, but it would be nice to have a cover.

I am not on my Calibre machine right now, but I upgraded to the latest stable release a couple of days ago when I added these files. It's on Windows 10.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:00 AM   #2
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I have an EPUB created from a webserial. It doesn't seem to have a proper cover, so I wanted to add one for my kobo's sleep screen.

I added a cover image to the metadata in Calibre.

I ran the Modify Epub plugin and asked it just to replace/add the cover.

It appeared to work, but when I sent it to my device there was still no cover.
How about "Polish books" in Calibre with the option "Update the cover in the book files" checked?
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 01:27 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have you run the option to add a cover in Calibre Editor?
It's in Tools>Add Cover
The cover should be the first file/file.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:47 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Polishing with the cover option selected should have done that.
The Cover (HTML) and the image get special markings that devices shold recognize' (it is not the file names)
BUT
Some devices don't update EXISTING metadata/covers. You may need to remove the book, disconnect, the reconnect and resend.

Also check if the the driver (device connected) settings have metadata management set to Auto
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:57 PM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Thanks. I didn't actually have Polish visible on any of my menus or toolbars, but I've found it and added it now.

I tried editing the EPUB before I imported it into Calibre, and I did get it to import with the right cover, but it still wasn't showing up on the kobo. I think the kobo must have cached a thumbnail somewhere. Polish seems to have made no difference. The thumbnail is the first page of text, and the sleep screen is just a plain auto-generated(?) cover. It's possible that the image is a bad size or format for my old Touch.

I'm probably going to give up. I'll maybe come back to it later and see if I can figure it out.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 06:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kobo utilities can update some metadata and covers for existing (on device) items. Explore the tool offerings
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote