Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2024, 10:58 AM   #31
sgmoore
Enthusiast
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
I hope this isn't off-topic, but it is prompted by this thread.

I have been running from source exclusively for several years without any problems, but have always been confused by the relationship between the installed version of calibre and the source.

I know that I am starting calibre using the exe's from the installed version, but these are tiny programs and probably just stubs, but does my 'run from source' need anything else from the installed version.

In particular what I usually do when a new version is released is

1) Exit Calibre
2) Download a new version
3) Refresh the source
4) Install the new version
5) Start Calibre.

In particular, I never install a new version without refreshing the source and I think I have only once refreshed the source without installing a new version.

Am I being over-cautious?
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:22 AM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If I understand you right, no. There are occasionally changes that require updating the binary when running from source (one example).

You may be interested in the alt-Friday beta releases.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-09-2024 at 11:24 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2024, 11:56 AM   #33
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmoore View Post
[...]
In particular, I never install a new version without refreshing the source and I think I have only once refreshed the source without installing a new version.

Am I being over-cautious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If I understand you right, no. There are occasionally changes that require updating the binary when running from source (one example).

You may be interested in the alt-Friday beta releases.
Reinforcing @ownedbycats: it is very important that you use the latest calibre binary released before the source version you are running. The binaries contain a lot of stuff, for example the python interpreter, Qt, interfaces between python and system libraries, some hard-coded Qt styles, and many prerequisite system libraries. In some rare cases, running from source will fail because a new binary is required but doesn't yet exist.

It is also important that you update source while calibre is not running. If you don't then it is possible to end up running bits from each of the source releases.

I have to ask: why are you running from source if you don't refresh it to get access to new code until calibre is released?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:04 PM   #34
sgmoore
Enthusiast
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I have to ask: why are you running from source if you don't refresh it to get access to new code until calibre is released?
I have made some changes (personal hacks) to the source.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:20 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmoore View Post
I have made some changes (personal hacks) to the source.
Anything worth committing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2024, 02:35 PM   #36
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Personal' seems imply that they're, well, personal to this user.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:10 PM   #37
sgmoore
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Anything worth committing?
Don't think so.

Also, whilst I am a programmer, I am most certainly not a Python programmer, so the code quality is pretty dire and I'm quite certain wouldn't get accepted.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:30 PM   #38
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I don't know if it's related to this change but, after installing the beta, all the custom columns which use template functions and appear in book details are failing because of "Function not found". Going back to the official version has removed the error.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 04:39 PM   #39
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't know if it's related to this change but, after installing the beta, all the custom columns which use template functions and appear in book details are failing because of "Function not found". Going back to the official version has removed the error.
These are Python functions you wrote?
Old 03-10-2024, 04:51 PM   #40
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

My saved templates and custom Python functions all working as expected.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:52 PM   #41
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
These are Python functions you wrote?
Yes, and no issue with them in the last release, only in the beta. You can see the error in the attached screen, and the number 1 is the result of the function (it must be stored, because it doesn't work in the template tester either).

I think the issue, again, is with the functions, as they don't appear in the template tester in the last release. I'm going to check if I find my issue (it's a plugin again, but a different one. Let's see if I find it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TempErr1.png
Views:	25
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	206834  

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 03-10-2024 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:05 PM   #42
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, and no issue with them in the last release, only in the beta.
I can't make it fail. I tried using these as the template in a composite column:
  • program: a_stored_template()
  • program: a_stored_function()
  • {series: a_stored_function_needing_one_argument}
Both book_details displays always showed the correct output.

Can you give me any more details? For example:
  • If you run in debug mode, do you get any output?
  • Does it happen on startup or after you do something like change library?
  • Is there anything unusual about the python functions? For example, do they call any other custom python functions?
Old 03-10-2024, 06:15 PM   #43
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I'm going to check which plugin is messing with it (starting calibre without plugins keeps safe the python functions).
Old 03-10-2024, 06:18 PM   #44
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I seem to recall another post with similar issues recently. I'm not having any success finding it though.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:26 PM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm going to check which plugin is messing with it (starting calibre without plugins keeps safe the python functions).
Thank you.

I think the problem can happen if you create your own Formatter() instance when the plugin is created, or if you make a copy of the the formatter functions dictionary. I'm not sure, though.

I am happy to help work out what is going wrong once you narrow it down.