Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2024, 11:29 AM   #1
Clem2605
Clem2605 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Libra H2O, Boox Tab Ultra C
Calibre 7.5.1 won't launch

Hello,

I've tried launching the last Calibre version on Windows 10 after updating, like usual, but it won't launch. (I've tried from pretty much anywhere I could think of)

If I try opening an epub in the viewer, I get the same result. It looks like it was open but the window never shows anywhere (and it's not hidden somewhere weird, I've looked).

I've tried turning off my computer and re-downloading the file and asking it to 'repair' in the menu (and re-tried turning off the computer) a few time in a few different ways, but with no success.

I'd like to avoid uninstalling Calibre because it's always a pain to reset everything, and I haven't made a save in a long time. (I have a lot of personnal column and display rules)

Usually, I just wait for the next update when it does that, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow and I was hoping to be able to update everything before then.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited by Clem2605; 02-27-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Clem2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:44 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Uninstall LEAVES the Library and configuration.
If you delete a borked configuration (in %appdata%, that will be created (as it was initially) and all you lose are your plugins and their settings.

Is anything calibre showing in Task Manager?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2024, 03:42 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem2605 View Post
Hello,

I've tried launching the last Calibre version on Windows 10 after updating, like usual, but it won't launch. (I've tried from pretty much anywhere I could think of)

If I try opening an epub in the viewer, I get the same result. It looks like it was open but the window never shows anywhere (and it's not hidden somewhere weird, I've looked).

I've turning off my computer and re-downloading the file and asking it to 'repair' in the menu (and re-tried turning off the computer) a few time in a few different ways, but with no success.

I'd like to avoid uninstalling Calibre because it's always a pain to reset everything, and I haven't made a save in a long time. (I have a lot of personnal column and display rules)

Usually, I just wait for the next update when it does that, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow and I was hoping to be able to update everything before then.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Try booting in safe mode and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:54 PM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Instead of uninstalling then reinstalling (which is indeed harmless), you could try this:

- right click on Calibre msi installer
- select 'Repair'

Or just double-click the installer again, click next -> Repair button
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:25 PM   #5
Clem2605

Quote:
Is anything calibre showing in Task Manager?
No, or I can't see anything at least.

Quote:
Try booting in safe mode and see what happens.
How do I boot in safe mode without access to Calibre? Do I need to boot my computer itself in safe mode?

Quote:
select 'Repair'
I already tried this a few times, rebooting my computer in-between, it doesn't change anything.
Advert
Old 02-16-2024, 11:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem2605 View Post
How do I boot in safe mode without access to Calibre? Do I need to boot my computer itself in safe mode?
Yes, you boot the computer into safe mode and then run calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:59 PM   #7
Clem2605

I'm sorry, I ended up going away without access to my computer.

I've since then tried to boot my computer in safe mode, and it doesn't change anything.
It looks like Calibre is opening, but no windows appear and nothing shows up in the task manager.

I really have no idea why it happens, and what to try next, especially since I seem to be the only one...
Old 02-27-2024, 10:13 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote