Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #46
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Or conversely, it's best to buy your ebooks from the store linked to your device(s).

I was slow to this realization and would buy from Amazon just because that was the link I happened on. Bad choice, I realize now that I tend to go for the direct download and skip the interim download-to-computer-and-import-into-Calibre step. I'm not worried about either Kobo or Kindle doing a midnight flit and I'll future-proof my purchases if it becomes necessary; doesn't seem worth the bother now. But there are still those pesky books bought back in the day where I need to jump through the hoops to get 'em on my Kobo. Lesson learned.
I can agree with that. BTW...I just took the time to look up and follow the instructions to put my Kindle app back to the supported version, and reset up caliber etc. I had 3 or 4 false starts....go look up something again...etc. Took about an hour for this veteran computer expert who already had some familiarity with this process.

Still...now that I have it setup (again) and he auto update turned off....it should be back to being a very easy process. Until Amazon stops allowing this version of the Kindle app (which may never happen)
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #47
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yep, lock ups. I've been getting them since a couple releases back (both on my Paperwhite and on my Basic). I think I detailed some of the issues in the newest firmware thread. I'll have to try to load a Send to Kindle in to see exactly what the error is. (Now that I've got my old Kindles up here in Idaho, I've just been reading these documents in my Kindle Keyboard.)
I think I may remember something about this...didn't it have something to do with the sideloaded font that you were using on the newer Kindles? If so, that may be why I don't have the issue, as I just always use Ember.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Or conversely, it's best to buy your ebooks from the store linked to your device(s).

I was slow to this realization and would buy from Amazon just because that was the link I happened on. Bad choice, I realize now that I tend to go for the direct download and skip the interim download-to-computer-and-import-into-Calibre step. I'm not worried about either Kobo or Kindle doing a midnight flit and I'll future-proof my purchases if it becomes necessary; doesn't seem worth the bother now. But there are still those pesky books bought back in the day where I need to jump through the hoops to get 'em on my Kobo. Lesson learned.
That is the convenience of the ecosystem. If you wait until it becomes neccessary to future proof your purchases, it will probably be too late. Buy for the device and download directly, but back up regularly. With Kobo and Kindle books the likelihood of the store folding and you losing access is relatively low. The real worry should be that from one day to the next the loopholes to conveniently remove DRM could be plugged.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
And....if you didn't have the foresight to already do that....THEN....you'll find the current Kindle app/Calibre/<certain plugin> combo doesn't work on all books, or even most books.

Then you must hunt down an older version of the kindle app. It's fidgety is all I'm saying. I stand by my recommendation that it's best to buy the eInk reader from the store you buy most of your books from.
And if you forget to charge your reader you can't read. And if there's an EMP blast we're all screwed.

Man, you can worry about anything. You install the old Kindle for PC that is always available at FileHippo and has been for years. You set it up once and you're done. No fidgeting after the first setup.

Sideloading isn't for everyone. Buying the eink reader from the stoer you buy most of your books for is best for you. But sideloading's worked for many users for many years is all I'm saying.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The real worry should be that from one day to the next the loopholes to conveniently remove DRM could be plugged.
Ah, quite true at that. I shall continue to live dangerously for now, but thanks for the reality check.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #51
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Haven‘t been excited for new Kindles in years, but I would instabuy an 8 inch Voyage form factor Kindle with 4G.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #52
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is the convenience of the ecosystem. If you wait until it becomes neccessary to future proof your purchases, it will probably be too late. Buy for the device and download directly, but back up regularly. With Kobo and Kindle books the likelihood of the store folding and you losing access is relatively low. The real worry should be that from one day to the next the loopholes to conveniently remove DRM could be plugged.
I agree with you, which is why removing the DRM is the first thing I do when I buy a book. That way, if something happens over night, the worst is that I can't remove the DRM on one book.

I will say that given the Kindle store has been in business for over a decade, I think that it's fairly unlikely such a thing will happen. There may be new formats, but I think the movement seems to be more and more books published without DRM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #53
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
And if you forget to charge your reader you can't read. And if there's an EMP blast we're all screwed.

Man, you can worry about anything. You install the old Kindle for PC that is always available at FileHippo and has been for years. You set it up once and you're done. No fidgeting after the first setup.
Well, I've indeed forgotten to charge a reader and had to wait. And yes, I HAVE run into the VERY fidgety experience of setting up Calibre with DeDRM. It's gotten better over the years.

My last foray - just this week - took about an hour. It occurred a week or two from my previous "last foray" because I didn't realize the whole "don't use the latest Kindle app" rule.

Now MAYBE, this time will be the last time I need to do so....but I'm thinking my professional computer guy skills are more advanced than the typical person's and that what I find "fidgety" many would find "damn near impossible".

Mind you....it is your very testimony that has gotten me to try the last two times and why I new currently have things all set up. So I thank you. But no, I have not changed my mind that this is not a process "for the masses".
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
....but I'm thinking my professional computer guy skills are more advanced than the typical person's and that what I find "fidgety" many would find "damn near impossible".
I didn't know I was a professional computer guy. I don't fidget at all. Maybe I'm a savant.

Quote:
But no, I have not changed my mind that this is not a process "for the masses".
I agree, it's not for the masses. But neither is MobileRead.

Look, I don't expect my grandmother to strip DRM and sideload books (the fact that she's dead would be an obstacle). But when someone does ask about it, I don't think it serves them well to make it sound fraught with peril or massively complicated.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #55
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
With my current book I decided to read on a Paperwhite and sync with the Kindle app on my phone when I'm away from the house. I did that till today when I was away for the first time and did a few minutes reading on my phone. Now I'm not sure I'll go back to the Paperwhite for this book.
Barry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Quite a few people just read on their smartphones or tablets. They don't seem to care about LCD vs LED vs eInk. Their phones work just fine, especially since the trend is toward larger phones these days.

Interest in eInk devices is definitely waning.
eInk readers are at a point where nothing truly innovative is occurring. I think they pushed eInk screens as far as they can. The only thing we see these days is slight incremental improvement. Once Apple came out with Retina screens on their iPhones and iPads, I quickly migrated to them as my primary reading devices for eBooks. The Kindles have never had a decent lighted version in my opinion. The lights have improved a bit, but no breakthrough has occurred. The lighted Kindles still have a degraded screen due to the light layer, and they still have crappy LEDs that cast shadows and blue tints. I realize the new O3 claims to have a yellowish tint, but photos I've seen of it look like someone peed on it! Too yellow. Yuk!!! Even though I own an older Kindle 8th generation without the light and a new Kindle 10th generation with light, I only use them occasionally. The screen on the K10 just isn't that good, but it is okay for some reading. I mostly use it when outdoors in brighter light. But to be honest, the K10 is super slow and the battery drains nearly as fast as a tablet. After using the iPhone and iPad, it is frustrating to use the K10 due to its sluggishness. Bottom line is that unless I'm outside in bright light, I will use my iPhone or iPad, so the Kindles mostly collect dust. I do stick with Amazon since they have a large bookstore and great apps for smartphones and tablets. But their Kindles are just not that good any more. Maybe if they got rid of the Special Offers and kept the prices lower, but eInk is only so good, and that means it isn't very good at all.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
...but eInk is only so good, and that means it isn't very good at all.
I respectively disagree. I think eInk readers are great and I have zero interest in an expensive, backlit tablet for reading. But to each their own.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I respectively disagree. I think eInk readers are great and I have zero interest in an expensive, backlit tablet for reading. But to each their own.
Same here. While I use a backlit tablet for various other things, I would never want to read a novel on it. And I've never found any of my Kindles to be super slow, except for the basic Kindles back in 2011, when I crammed them full of books. But not any of the modern Kindles. My Nook is considerably slower, true. But not so slow I don't enjoy reading on it. I'm generally in no hurry when I'm reading.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I agree with you, which is why removing the DRM is the first thing I do when I buy a book. That way, if something happens over night, the worst is that I can't remove the DRM on one book.

I will say that given the Kindle store has been in business for over a decade, I think that it's fairly unlikely such a thing will happen. There may be new formats, but I think the movement seems to be more and more books published without DRM.
Hmmm.... KFX. 'Nuff said.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #59
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Indeed, to each their own. I go by what works best for my eyes, and it isn’t outdated eInk technology. I already have an iPhone and iPad for other purposes, so it is a plus that they, or any comparable smartphone and tablet from other brands, work a lot better with my eyes than do eInk devices.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #60
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Indeed, to each their own. I go by what works best for my eyes, and it isn’t outdated eInk technology. I already have an iPhone and iPad for other purposes, so it is a plus that they, or any comparable smartphone and tablet from other brands, work a lot better with my eyes than do eInk devices.
So instead of using eink technology that isn’t shining a lightbulb in your face you use inferior LCD/OLED technology.

If you’re going to present a ‘to each their own’ don’t be condescending about the option the other people use.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote