Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kobo Libra H2O Clears the FCC

A new Kobo cleared the FCC Friday morning.

All the more interesting details are embargoed in the FCC filing, but based on what I found online, I think it's going to be called the Kobo Libra H2O.
https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/...lears-the-fcc/

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-23-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Cool.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I hope Kobo's finally rolling out a 6" waterproof reader. A 6" Kobo device that is both waterproof and matches the rest of the features on the Clara would get me to buy one even though my Clara is less than a year old.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I hope Kobo's finally rolling out a 6" waterproof reader. A 6" Kobo device that is both waterproof and matches the rest of the features on the Clara would get me to buy one even though my Clara is less than a year old.
I'm guessing, though, that the Libra H2O would probably be a replacement for the Aura H2O. (My guesses are probably worth about zilch.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
tnovus
tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing, though, that the Libra H2O would probably be a replacement for the Aura H2O. (My guesses are probably worth about zilch.)
This is what I'm secretly hoping for, a successor of the Aura that keeps the Aura format (not the Forma).

I still use my Aura HD, and I was ready to upgrade to the Aura One when they ceased producing it. I wonder what void the Libra H2O will try to fill. Might this be the first audiobook player ebook from Kobo?
tnovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You may well be right. But what would they add to the Aura H2O at this point?

They've never released a 6" waterproof reader, so fingers crossed, though I suspect it'll be a 6.8"
Old 08-24-2019, 02:10 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I'm crossing my fingers for a flexible substrate.

(Is "Libra" a well-known tampon brand elsewhere, or just here?)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Upgrade to 7" and 300 ppi?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:38 AM   #9
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Make it 8" and take my money NOW!!!!!
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Well we know that wont happen ...lol. I bet it's a 6" again...
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Upgrade to 7" and 300 ppi?
Maybe. I don't pay much attention to the H2O. I thought they were 300 ppi already. I bet that's what it is. A new H2O using the same screen as the Oasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
That would just cannibalize their own 8" Forma.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-24-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
That would just cannibalize their own 8" Forma.
Erm... you're right forgot about the forma .

9" then?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Fingers crossed. If it's larger than 6", they aren't getting my money. I still like and use my original H2O and will not get another. 6" is my preferred size.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Looking at this, and the devices Kobo currently has, or had until recently, I think the name change is to try and clarify things. At the moment, there is confusion over the name "Aura". It has been used for 6", 6.8" and 7.8" devices. There are two edition of some, and two versions of the second editions. Some have been waterproof, some have not been. I don't know if this means that "Aura" will be retired completely, or kept to a particular size.

As to which device it is replacing, I'm going with the Aura H2O Edition 2. That was released in May 2017. So, it and the Aura Edition 2 are oldest devices. There was a CPU update somewhere in there, but no other changes made. A more complete update, including a 300DPI screen is due. And as the H2O moniker has only been on the 6.8" device, this does give some continuity. I'd guess it will be a 7" screen using the same one the Oasis uses.

I don't think it will be a 6" device. The Clara HD is the newest device, so unless they want to update that to waterproof, I don't think it would be done. And I'd hope they would use "Clara H2O" for that. And I don't feel like it will be a replacement for the Aura Edition 2. I think we are more likely to see that disappear and only the Clara HD kept.

I do wonder if it could be a replacement for the Aura ONE. While another 7.8" or 8" device would seem to clash with the Forma, there might be a place for the button-free device. Based on discussion here, some love the Forma's buttons and form-factor, and other don't. If it uses a plastic substrate and doesn't have the light or touch calibration issues of the Aura ONE, it would be a good alternative. One thing that does point this way is that one report has that it has a 1200mAh battery. This is what the Aura ONE and Forma use. I assume this is to save weight. Using this in an Aura ONE replacement would be consistent.

Those are my thoughts and predictions. As to how accurate they are, within the last two weeks, I predicted there would be no new devices this year. So, probably not very.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 PM   #15
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Am I the only one wishing it's the 5" Kobo Mini 2? I doubt a 6" reader will be exciting because there isn't a whole lot they can do to improve on the Clara HD except waterproofing and maybe a flush screen. The Forma is only a year old and pretty much has all the bells and whistles.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote