Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-24-2022, 08:56 PM   #16
gesundheit
gesundheit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5 SE (2021)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
KFX uses two values separated by a colon. The first is a base64 encoding of the eid and offset, which are fields used internally by KFX to determine the location of content.
What's the exact format for the decoded eid and offset bytestring?

I'm finding that, for example, b64 decoding the kfx position ATwIAABnAAAA:177266 yields 0x013c08000067000000. It seems that the first 4 bytes, 0x013c0800, are the eid, and the last 4 bytes, 0x67000000, are the offset, is that right?

But there is an byte between them: 0x013c08000067000000
What is this extra byte for?

Also, do you happen to know what template is?
Code:
        "annotation.personal.bookmark": [
            {
                "startPosition": "AVoDAAAAAAAA:9430",
                "endPosition": "AVoDAAAAAAAA:9430",
                "creationTime": "2019-08-11T15:24:03.088000",
                "lastModificationTime": "2019-08-11T15:24:03.088000",
                "template": "0\ufffc0"
            },

Last edited by gesundheit; 02-24-2022 at 09:05 PM.
gesundheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
What's the exact format for the decoded eid and offset bytestring?
The first byte is always 0x01, probably there to allow for future variations. The next four bytes are the eid and the last four bytes are the offset.

The eid labels a section of KFX content. It is the KFX equivalent to an HTML id attribute. The offset counts positions from the start of that eid. The position following the colon is an overall position within the book and is another way to refer to the same content.

Positions in KFX count Unicode characters of visible text with each image also counted as one position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
Also, do you happen to know what template is?
I have no idea what that is for. It appears to be the same in all cases I have seen. Unicode FFFC is the Object Replacement Character.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2022, 08:14 PM   #18
gesundheit
gesundheit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5 SE (2021)
I see, I got it now. Thanks for the explanation.
gesundheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:25 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Looks like this needs to be updated for Scribe annotation type:

Code:
annotation.personal.sticky_note = 11
Are there really 4-10? Or those are reserved types?

Will check Print Replica next and supply data files, if not updated code.

Also got 'excess values' exception ('val==[0]', i.e. not empty as expected, probably because of this extra annotation?).

In meantime, I've patched to handle exceptions so I can look at what's working.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-09-2023 at 05:55 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:24 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Maybe something like a github repository is in order.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 09:50 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I was able to fix it up to handle the two new annotation types (subject to code review).

Main changes:

Code:
    ANNOT_CLASS_NAMES = {
        0: "annotation.personal.bookmark",
        1: "annotation.personal.highlight",
        2: "annotation.personal.note",
        3: "annotation.personal.clip_article",  # value not verified
        10: "annotation.personal.handwritten_note",
        11: "annotation.personal.sticky_note",
    }
Added 10 & 11.
(made this a class attribute to consolidate duplicated strings)
Code:
        elif name in self.ANNOT_CLASS_NAMES.values():
            obj["startPosition"] = self.decode_position(val.pop(0))
            obj["endPosition"] = self.decode_position(val.pop(0))
            obj["creationTime"] = datetime.datetime.fromtimestamp(val.pop(0) / 1000.0).isoformat()
            obj["lastModificationTime"] = datetime.datetime.fromtimestamp(val.pop(0) / 1000.0).isoformat()
            obj["template"] = val.pop(0)

if name == "annotation.personal.note":
                obj["note"] = val.pop(0)
            elif name == "annotation.personal.handwritten_note":
                obj["handwritten_note_nbk_ref"] = val.pop(0)
            elif name == "annotation.personal.sticky_note":
                obj["sticky_note_nbk_ref"] = val.pop(0)
Added handwritten_note_nbk_ref property. I verified that these match to a symbol in ion_symbol_table in the nbk with the pen annotations for a page of the Print Replica document.

I also could not keep myself from fixing linter complaints about 'unreferenced variable i' (by replacing with '_').

Scribe also seems to have another piece of data in font_prefs structure (value 0). I added 'unknown2' to absorb it. I checked another Kindle and it does not have this.
Code:
    "font.prefs": {
        "typeface": "_INVALID_,und:bookerly",
        "lineSp": 1,
        "size": 3,
        "align": 0,
        "insetTop": 64,
        "insetLeft": 200,
        "insetBottom": 8,
        "insetRight": 200,
        "unknown1": -1,
        "bold": 1,
        "userSideloadableFont": "",
        "customFontIndex": -1,
        "mobi7SystemFont": "",
        "mobi7RestoreFont": false,
        "readingPresetSelected": "",
        "unknown2": 0
    },
Maybe is page animation flag? I'll do some more checking.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this, but excited to have discovered it. Thanks @jhowell & @j.p.s.!
Attached Files
File Type: zip krds.py.zip (4.3 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by tomsem; 06-10-2023 at 12:42 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:08 AM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I was able to fix it up to handle the two new annotation types (subject to code review).
I have changed the first post in this thread to eliminate the original krds.py and link to your updated version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not worth the bother for me to do it. If someone else wants to create that I will change the first post of this thread to link to it.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:26 PM   #23
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Not worth the bother for me to do it. If someone else wants to create that I will change the first post of this thread to link to it.
I'm willing to create the repository and commit the original version (with attribution) and tomsem's changes (with attribution). I would probably split the latter into 3 commits:
  1. s/i/_/
  2. changes needed to handle the new annotation types
  3. formatting changes (mostly white space)

I would also want to add j-howell and tomsem's github account (if he has one) as contributors. I assume that it would be tomsem making all or most of any future commits.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm willing to create the repository and commit the original version (with attribution) and tomsem's changes (with attribution). I would probably split the latter into 3 commits:
  1. s/i/_/
  2. changes needed to handle the new annotation types
  3. formatting changes (mostly white space)

I would also want to add j-howell and tomsem's github account (if he has one) as contributors. I assume that it would be tomsem making all or most of any future commits.
That is fine with me.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm willing to create the repository.
I'm inclined to create a new organization for this. It turns out KRDS (unrelated) is already taken.

How about KRDS-parse, KRDS-utils or some such? Suggestions welcome.

The repository itself can be KRDS.

ETA: K-R-D-S is available, which is my new preferred org name.

Last edited by j.p.s; 06-17-2023 at 05:17 PM. Reason: "_" not valid in github org names
Old 06-18-2023, 09:09 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

I ended up having to restore the original white space to tomsem's version in order to see what the actual coding changes were. I ran jhowell's original version, tomsem's version, and my final version against the yj* files tomsem uploaded for The Experience Machine and the sodoku books. The JSON files exactly matched for tomsem's and my versions.

All versions generated the non fatal error:
"ERROR: Unknown data structure whisperstore.migration.status"
for both yjf files.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:15 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

The KRDS repository is up at:
https://github.com/K-R-D-S/KRDS
with releases available as tar.gz and zip at:
https://github.com/K-R-D-S/KRDS/tags
Old 06-18-2023, 10:08 PM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The KRDS repository is up at:
https://github.com/K-R-D-S/KRDS
with releases available as tar.gz and zip at:
https://github.com/K-R-D-S/KRDS/tags
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2023, 01:20 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

You're welcome.

I hope it will be useful to anyone developing KRDS further.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #30
willemml
willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Full serializer and deserializer for KRDS

I decided to learn how to use the popular Rust library serde.rs by making a full deserializer and serializer library for the KRDS format (this is sort of a practice run before I attempt a full KPF and KFX serializer/deserializer.) You just have to define the format you are trying to read as a Rust structure. I have already done this for yjr, yjf, azw3r and azw3f files. It should be very easy to add support for any other KRDS files that come up as all that needs to be done is define field names.

The code for this is published in a GitHub repo. https://github.com/willemml/krds_serde

There is a discrepancy in yjr and azw3r files in that the Kindle (in my case the Scribe) serializes empty strings as "0x03 0x00 0x00 x00" whereas yjf (and azw3f) files serialize them as "0x03 0x01" I have chosen to use this shorter format for all files (and the Kindle does not complain, I have tested editing annotations and it works.) Other than that binary output of the serializer is identical to an input binary. The code is currently rough and undocumented, but it works and has tests.
willemml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
krds