Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Drizzt321
Drizzt321 began at the beginning.

Lost my old one, need a new one

So I appear to have lost my trusty Sony PRS-T3 (me right now), 2 battery changes and 1 screen replacement.

So, my ideal reader would be the same one, except all that's available is the Japanese version which doesn't have English (Really Sony?! Really?!!!) language. I know the interface well enough, so I _suppose_ I could just use that, but I'd rather a newer screen since I believe there have been some small improvements. I did find a used, good condition via Amazon for $677. Yea. No.

So, what I'd like is around the same size, 6" or so (back or inside jacket pocket), reads epubs, and has hardware buttons for page turns near each other on the bottom so I can hold and read one handed in bed easily. Touch for page turns would be nice, but not a requirement. If it has WiFi, it'll just get turned off, so not necessary.

Things I'm definitely not looking for is a Kindle, or something that's mostly tied to a proprietary service. I'm happy to use Calibre and buy unencrypted epubs, and manage it all myself.

I haven't done extensive research yet, but one of the Kobo's maybe, although doesn't have the hardware keys
Drizzt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Drizzt321

Just checked ebay again...looks like there are 2 lightly used T3's (US/Canada!!!) for sale, amazing. So I just bought both of them =D Between both of them I should be able to keep 1 running for the next 3-5 years.
Advert
Old 05-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Best of luck with the new (to you) PRS-T3s! I know the Sony Readers had a pretty dedicated fanbase while they were in production.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Drizzt321

The first few were a bit rough as they were fairly slow to refresh, but that was basically everyone due to the screens. Once they got better screens and started putting better CPUs in, started getting really good. IMO the T3 is the pinnacle of small e-reader design. IR screen with good response rate, and hardware page turn buttons at the bottom next to each other.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt321 View Post
Just checked ebay again...looks like there are 2 lightly used T3's (US/Canada!!!) for sale, amazing. So I just bought both of them =D Between both of them I should be able to keep 1 running for the next 3-5 years.
Congratulations. I like Sony Readers (actually I like about all eInk Readers). I was wondering if you could load the U.S. firmware on a Japanese edition of the T3, but now I see that's not needed.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
Drizzt321

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Congratulations. I like Sony Readers (actually I like about all eInk Readers). I was wondering if you could load the U.S. firmware on a Japanese edition of the T3, but now I see that's not needed.

I really wish. I looked into that pretty extensively, even had a Japanese version one until I realized all I needes was a screen replacement. Nope. Sony, in all its glorious wisdom, had the flash tool not work for that. Even though it's the exact same hardware.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt321 View Post
I really wish. I looked into that pretty extensively, even had a Japanese version one until I realized all I needes was a screen replacement. Nope. Sony, in all its glorious wisdom, had the flash tool not work for that. Even though it's the exact same hardware.
Well, sorry to hear that. But it's good to know for future reference. Not that I'm currently in the market for a T3, but I've seen the ads for Japanese ones and just assumed they were originally for sale in Japan, not that they only supported the Japanese language.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote