Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Question New Paperwhite or Oasis 2

I have an Oasis 1 and an old Paperwhite. I have some problems with the O1: the storage of battery power in the case separate and apart from the device itself is irritating and the nearly square page is weird. I’m noticing that I actually like the PW better because of the layout and the normal battery storage.

I like the buttons of the Oasis and am stuck like Buridan’s ass between the new Oasis which has everything I want and a new Paperwhite which is almost as good for me but half the price. (Buridan’s ass is the mule/donkey type of ass so I am not being crude),

(I had ordered the Oasis 2 in the fall but cancelled

For Oasis 2 owners, is there any reason (forgetting about price, that you regret not getting a PW?
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Have you considered the Voyage? It is shaped like the Paperwhite but has the flush screen, buttons and adaptive light like the Oasis models.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're reading at home, the larger screen of the Oasis makes (for me) a tremendous difference. When my eyes were tired in the evenings, I had to use my reading glasses with my Voyage, but on the Oasis I can use a larger font with the same amount of text on the screen and read comfortably. It is, however, not nearly as portable as the PW or Voyage, and won't fit into a normal-sized pocket.

You really have to decide which is more important to you: the larger screen, or a more portable device.

I should add that the difference made by the extra 1" of screen size really surprised me. The reason I bought the Oasis was for the 32GB of storage, but it's turned out to be the larger screen that's made much more difference to me!

Last edited by HarryT; 01-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
For Oasis 2 owners, is there any reason (forgetting about price), that you regret not getting a PW?
No. The Paperwhite doesn't have buttons which are a must-have for me.

I still use my Voyage too and even my Oasis 1. I got the Oasis 2 solely for its larger screen. And I actually like the shape more than the shape of my Voyage. But then I only read at home and never take my readers out of the house, so portability isn't a factor for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
For Oasis 2 owners, is there any reason (forgetting about price, that you regret not getting a PW?
For me it is the other way around. I regret buying a PW3 shortly before the Oasis 2 came out. The PW3 got less than 2 months use out of it and has been gathering dust ever since.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Absolutely not. Before I got the Oasis 2, I was pretty happy with my Voyage; however, once I started using the Oasis, it immediately became my favorite device ever. As others have said, it's not as portable as the PW or Voyage, but since it's my bedroom reader, that's not a problem for me.

The bigger screen size is my favorite thing about it, followed closely by the ability to change the screen to white on black. I started a new book yesterday, which I hadn't had a chance to sideload to my Oasis, so I brought my Voyage upstairs to read instead. I realized while reading in a dark room how much I've come to love the inverted mode on my Oasis.

I do admit that the price tag of the Oasis is a bit daunting. I was fortunate to be able to reduce my cost with a trade-in plus the use of birthday gift cards. But if something should ever happen to it I would replace it at full price, if necessary, that's how much I love it.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I love me Oasis 2, I have traded back in my Voyage and my PW2 now. Yes the battery has to be recharged more often, but I am also reading more, due to the larger screen. I have the wifi version with 8 gigs of storage and that is all I need. I got one of the cheaper covers and that too is all I need.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
i have bonus coming in the spring so I think based on the above that I will shell out for the Oasis 2 for my home device. I have one (my Oasis 1 ) at home and one (old PW) at work and read on my iPhone on the subway in between (it's sounds like a sad little life!).

I really appreciate your replies. I guess I had not mentally separated the idea of having a home kindle and a travel kindle.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not saying that you can't travel with it - just that it won't fit into a pocket, basically because it's square rather than rectangular. That's not an issue if it's in a bag, obviously. I take mine everywhere with me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
One thing to keep in mind if you lean toward the Paperwhite is that you would think it is time for Amazon to update it since the basic Kindle and the Oasis both have bluetooth and Audible support. It would be a little surprising for Amazon to not update the Paperwhite this year.

It does appear that the OP is leaning toward the Oasis, so it wouldn't be an issue.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Have you considered the Voyage? It is shaped like the Paperwhite but has the flush screen, buttons and adaptive light like the Oasis models.
As a Voyage and Oasis 2 user, I agree that the voyage should also be considered. The only better points for the Oasis 2 are screen size and frontlight color. (Well the Oasis 2 has a little better frontlight intensity uniformity at the dimmest several settings, but I never use those.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have the PW2, Voyage, Oasis 1 and Oasis 2. The Oasis 2 is my favorite specifically because of the screen size and frontlight color/uniformity as j.p.s. mentions. I also like the ability to invert black and white.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Voyage is my preferred device. It is portable, has the best contrast of all the Kindles in my opinion and is easily propped up for hands free reading with the Origami case.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I love me Oasis 2, I have traded back in my Voyage and my PW2 now. Yes the battery has to be recharged more often, but I am also reading more, due to the larger screen. I have the wifi version with 8 gigs of storage and that is all I need. I got one of the cheaper covers and that too is all I need.
And I bought a Voyage and a few months later gave it to a college student and went back to my Paperwhite. Then the Oasis came out and I passed. Then the Oasis2 and I decided to give it a try. I was not impressed with the Oasis2, was impressed with the price, and couldn't believe Amazon was not making a protective cover for the thin, lightweight, and quite expensive gizmo.

So now, I'm back to my Paperwhite. I have two. One was a gift. They have the last acceptable cover made by Amazon with no batteries, no cutesy folding nonsense, and not design to personalize but not protect your device. As for buttons, they're as important to me as a hand crank to start my pickup.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And I bought a Voyage and a few months later gave it to a college student and went back to my Paperwhite. Then the Oasis came out and I passed. Then the Oasis2 and I decided to give it a try. I was not impressed with the Oasis2, was impressed with the price, and couldn't believe Amazon was not making a protective cover for the thin, lightweight, and quite expensive gizmo.

So now, I'm back to my Paperwhite. I have two. One was a gift. They have the last acceptable cover made by Amazon with no batteries, no cutesy folding nonsense, and not design to personalize but not protect your device. As for buttons, they're as important to me as a hand crank to start my pickup.
For me it is the screen that sold me. I am 70 and the smaller screens of the voyage and the PW does not give me enough on the screen with the larger fonts that I have to use.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote