Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I would see that feature being of very limited use unless you only have a small Calibre library. On a large library it does not provide sufficient granularity. As has been mentioned the ‘tag’ browser on the left already has similar functionality but in the form of a collapsing/expanding tree which is more flexible, and is not limited to being used on the Authors field.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I would see that feature being of very limited use unless you only have a small Calibre library. On a large library it does not provide sufficient granularity. As has been mentioned the ‘tag’ browser on the left already has similar functionality but in the form of a collapsing/expanding tree which is more flexible, and is not limited to being used on the Authors field.
But in defence of the OPs idea, one can navigate back and forth through VL tabs via the keyboard, but because of Qt's implementation of the Tree user interface metaphor, the so-called Tag Browser can only be navigated with a pointing device. It's an issue in all Qt based programs that use its Tree Widget. When I first used calibre (2012) the Tag Browser had limited keyboard navigability, but at some stage that stopped working. AFAIK it can't even get keyboard focus.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #18
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle3
itimpi: In a smaller library you can quickly scroll up or down to the letter you want to find anyway... it is however a big library where by clicking the letter you can shortlist to the first letter instantly. All different first letters disappear and you can quickly scroll/find the name you are looking for. I'm sure it is much faster then the tag browser - it's instant and requires only one mouse click!

Yes, with the implementation of the method Kovid suggested you are limited by the column you've programmed to it. If it was something more advanced, it would certainly have some comfortable way to set the column you would like to list in Preferences...

Last edited by Bigo2; 01-20-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Bigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
For me the Tag Browser is still the better place as I use VL's for more complex library subsets.
That is also the way I do it.
If the Tag browser does it: ust that
complex (or non-simple TB select) use a VL
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...9d62f0b9b45292

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...b6bd8c48e9c20d
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2018, 02:45 AM   #21
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is also the way I do it.
If the Tag browser does it: ust that
complex (or non-simple TB select) use a VL
Hi theducks - since I'm using my screen vertically, I'm not interested in having the Tag browser column permanently displayed...

Hi Kovid, thanks for your attention - are these modifications going to be implemented in the next update?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But in defence of the OPs idea, one can navigate back and forth through VL tabs via the keyboard.
How do you navigate with keyboard?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:23 AM   #23
Bigo2
Zealot

Normally I'm using the mouse to click the required letter on the alphabetical bar. I'm not sure if there is any shortcut to do it with the keyboard. After that I suppose you can use your keyboard to browse through the entries as usually if you prefer it...
Old 01-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #24
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gotcha, thank you! And I find the problem that I cannot NOT apply a virtual library with that method (or I don't know how), so what I would like would be a key for selecting/unselecting a virtual library (or being able to include the VL selector as an option in the book context, in the same way I have for switching library and apply view manager).
Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #25
Bigo2
Zealot

Perhaps somebody else knows how to do it or how to assign keys for it...
Anybody?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:37 AM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo2 View Post
Perhaps somebody else knows how to do it or how to assign keys for it...
Anybody?
It is not in the keyboard options or menu configuration, as far as I know.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If all you want to do is jump to the first row starting with a particular letter, you simply click any book title. Then press the letter you want. It will jump to the first book whose title starts with that letter. Same for author.

The only caveat is it conflicts with the global shortcuts for various actions, such as A for add books, E for edit metadata etc, which you can change in Preferences->Keyboards.

Although, I have to say, I dont see the point of jumping to locations by letter. What good does browsing your book collection partitioned by first letter in the title/author name do you? If you want to find particular title/author, simply search for that title/author, much faster than typing the first letter and then scrolling through the list of books to find what you want.

Of course, if for some reason you often tell yourself, "Today I want to read a book by an author whose name starts with W" then, sure, I can see why you would want this feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #28
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Ok, I'll try to figure out how to upload.
OK, understood. Kovid change the behavior of the tool tip now and you can use the switch in preferences -> Look & feel -> Tag browser as soon the update is available.

I had seen this too but it happen for me only on the last level where the authors are listed. When I select only A, B ... it is for me as fast as the alternative solution from OT with VL's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calTaToTi.PNG
Views:	106
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	161717  
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How do you navigate with keyboard?
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	161716

The Ctrl+Alt+Right and Left you see are custom values (defaults are Ctrl+Right and Left), all my other horizontal tabbed interfaces - Firefox, MS Office, xplorer² file manager, Notepad++, Sigil, etc - use the same sequences.

Added - a search for 'virtual' in Preferences->Shortcuts would have found it lickety split.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-21-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #30
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If all you want to do is jump to the first row starting with a particular letter, you simply click any book title. Then press the letter you want. It will jump to the first book whose title starts with that letter. Same for author.
I wouldn't mind having a tweak to turn that feature off - because I'm keyboard centric I often end up in where I don't want to be

BR