Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
HeavyLiquid
HeavyLiquid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Refurbished Kobo Aura HD or Glo / New Paperwhite / Aura

Greetings,

I'm looking for an eReader. I have a kobo mini to throw around so I probably don't care so much about portability. I'll be using koreader mostly and some overdrive books. The paperwhite doesn't work with overdrive in Canada which detracts a bit but is not a deal breaker. I care mostly about a good reading experience and a good light. I'm probably not very picky.

In Canada
Factory Refurb - Kobo Aura HD - ~$125 after shipping and tax
Factory Refurb - Kobo Glo - ~$90.5 after shipping and tax
New Kobo Aura - 147.00 after tax
Kindle Paperwhite - 158.00 after tax

The refurbs are from the Kobo store.

I'm leaning towards the Kobo Aura HD even though it's older. Sounds like the best deal to me. I could probably get a used Kobo Glo for ~$80.

Thoughts? Is there something better, the new H20 is too expensive.
HeavyLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I bought a couple of these from this seller on Ebay a few months ago. Both were perfect. I recently bought a third one from them for a neighbor and it was also just like new, box and all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Aura-Di...jHUogBCEH52XdA

It's a very good price for a really nice device. I prefer Kindles but I have uses for extra readers, living in a retirement home with lots of neighbors.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLiquid View Post
I'm leaning towards the Kobo Aura HD even though it's older. Sounds like the best deal to me. I could probably get a used Kobo Glo for ~$80.

Thoughts? Is there something better, the new H20 is too expensive.
As long as you're not opposed to the bigger screen (to me it's a bonus, but some people don't like it), the HD is a good reader. I would definitely go with it over the Glo due to the newer/better tech and bigger screen. The Glo HD would be another excellent choice if you came across it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I bought a couple of these from this seller on Ebay a few months ago. Both were perfect. I recently bought a third one from them for a neighbor and it was also just like new, box and all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Aura-Di...jHUogBCEH52XdA

It's a very good price for a really nice device. I prefer Kindles but I have uses for extra readers, living in a retirement home with lots of neighbors.

Barry
I can back-up Barry's experience with that seller on eBay. And an Aura at $50 is half the price of all the readers you mentioned.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I wouldn't get the Aura HD. The text was kind of pale. It annoyed me.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Hmmm...another opinion on the Aura HD--I have one and up until I got the Aura One, it was my go to reader. I really liked it--didn't notice the text being pale as Pajamaman did. Could be differences in the manufacturing process. I found the screen to be crisp and sharp--and the ability to adjust the weight of the fonts gives it a plus over the Kindle readers as far as display contrast is concerned.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
HeavyLiquid

Wow. Thanks for the replies! I have a line on a used kindle pw2 for $60 CND which makes it the cheapest option by a bit since $50 USD is more with exchange.

I think it'll be fine for my uses?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
HeavyLiquid

Actually overdrive .epub is a requirement. Back to Kobo.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I had a kobo Aura and I loved it. I can't find it though and I'm going crazy. I have the mini but it's too small for my recipe books and doesn't light up for nighttime. I haven't looked in quite a while so I haven't seen the newer readers. I do know I personally didn't like the screen size of the HD one as it was too big for me.

I will probably stick with kobo because I have kobo books and I can get more library books.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Hmmm...another opinion on the Aura HD--I have one and up until I got the Aura One, it was my go to reader. I really liked it--didn't notice the text being pale as Pajamaman did. Could be differences in the manufacturing process. I found the screen to be crisp and sharp--and the ability to adjust the weight of the fonts gives it a plus over the Kindle readers as far as display contrast is concerned.
Someone in this forum sent me an Aura HD to set up and give to one of my neighbors and I did so. I thought it had a fine screen. I have the Aura mentioned in my earlier post and the Aura HD screen was better.

I do most of my reading on a Paperwhite or a Voyage, which I do prefer because of the interface and the store, but the screen on the Aura HD was as good as them.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLiquid View Post
Wow. Thanks for the replies! I have a line on a used kindle pw2 for $60 CND which makes it the cheapest option by a bit since $50 USD is more with exchange.

I think it'll be fine for my uses?
Should be okay. I think you can jailbreak it too. But no overdrive.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #12
Kimberly.L
Kimberly.L began at the beginning.

Device: nook color/kindle fire
Hey guys, first time here, I was looking at getting http://www.ebay.com/itm/272125740867?var=570935616829 that yawl suggested and was wondering a few things.

First I have a lot of ebooks most are MOBI and Epub and I use caliber to manage them, I also borrow a lot from the library so will that ereader be good for that?
Also was wondering how the light is on it since I read a lot at night or would the H20 be better?

Last edited by Kimberly.L; 03-17-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fixed link...maybe
Kimberly.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Your link is not working.

Convert all your MOBi to Epub.

The light is perfect for reading at night.

Epub library books will work fine.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Kimberly, I own one of the eBay Auras you linked to and I'm very happy with it.

You'll have to convert your MOBI to ePub to read on the Kobo. Calibre is very good about that. (You can actually get a plug in for Calibre that will convert your books when it sends them to the device so you don't need to convert anything.)

As for borrowing from the library, as far as I know, Kobo doesn't work for that in the US, though Kindle does. I don't borrow books from the library though, so seek advice from other folks.

I like the light. I tend to keep my light very low (like 10-15%) and when I read in the dark, I notice a little splotching/dark areas near the bottom of the screen. But as far as I know, that would happen with any e-reader set super low like that. It doesn't impact my reading in any way.

For $50.00, I'd happily buy another. They are the best deal going, unless my library news is a deal breaker.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Kobo works in USA for libraries, that is not a problem (unless you cannot use ADE)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote