Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Exclamation Newer-than-official Firmware Working Reports for Kobo Mini

Hi Mini-Owners,

with every Mark4 firmware release the question pops up whether it works with the Mini, which is officially stuck at firmware 3.4.1.

So, instead having to parse through Direct Links to Kobo Firmware or Firmware X.YY.Z Discussion threads respectively looking for "has anyone tested this on the Mini" questions each time a new Mark4 firmware is released I'd like to have this thread as a sticky dedicated to success and error reports for sideloading newer-than-official firmware releases to the Mini.

Forum search won't help much because "mini" is also contained in several signatures / profile spec so there will be many undesired hits.

Does anyone like to join the boat with me?

To my knowledge, the latest reported working Mark4 firmware is 3.16: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=72
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
JaBu
JaBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Mini
3.16 working

Hello uboot,
I'm running 3.16 with several patches on my mini and it's running fine (only kepub tested).

I used the Mark4-Version for TouchLC.
JaBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
3.17.3 seems to be working according to this post. I haven't tried myself, though.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I'm running the Mark 4 version of 3.17.3 with patches on my Mini with no issues so far. I only use sideloaded epubs, so I can't vouch for how it does with kepubs.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just updated a mini to 3.18.0. Sideloaded epubs only without patches but seems to be working okay.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
JaBu

I'm running 3.18 with several patches on my mini since a few days now. No problems so far. I only read sideloaded kepubs.

Greetings, Jan
Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
JaBu

3.19 running

Firmware 3.19 running fine. No problems so far.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Also running 3.19.xxx on my Mini with no problems.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
anotheryou
anotheryou began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Question

What is the difference to the official 4.3.1? Can you recommend it?
I absolutely want to keep pocket

Sorry for digging this thread up, antique device, antique threads...
anotheryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheryou View Post

antique devices are very often the best ones.

with regards koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

You won't lose pocket when updating to 3.19.5761.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
anotheryou
anotheryou began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
wow, fast replies , thanks. What's the difference though?

edit: oh just changing in the affilate.conf to "affiliate=RakutenBooks" to trigger the update was simple, I guess I'll find out

Last edited by anotheryou; 10-19-2016 at 04:56 PM.
anotheryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
wow, fast replies , thanks. What's the difference though?
You mean the difference between firmware 3.4.1 and 3.19.5761?

There are so many small differences I doubt anyone could compile a complete list, and whether the differences are important will depend on what you think is important. These are just a couple I can remember offhand (i.e.ones that were most important to me:-):

* The long paragraph bug and a number of other ePub bugs were fixed after a major upgrade to the Adobe RMSDK ePub reader in firmware 3.5.0,and another minor upgrade in firmware 3.15.0.

* The main hyphenation bug in the KePub reader that caused the hyphen to be misplaced when the word has trailing punctuation was fixed in firmware 3.16.0

* A number of features were removed, including the ability to adjust the font sharpness and weight independently (there is now one slider that adjusts both together) and to rate sideloaded books.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-20-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: I think the seperate font sharpness adjustment was removed before 3.4.1
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote