Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I thought that e-ink/vizplex supplies the screens to each manufacturer (Amazon, Kobo, etc) and then the manufacturer adds the lights and the light-guiding layer? So that Amazon and Kobo don't share the exact same lighting system?

If that is the case, then any manufacturer COULD make a front-light for the 5" screen. They would just have to think that there would be enough of a market for it.
AFAIK the lighted screens come directly from eInk that way. At least they offer lit screens for sale.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #32
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
...Don't underestimate the power of adorableness! Seriously, I sold mine, and then had to buy another. It is too cute.
I'm afraid 'cute'doesn't do it for me.

I bought my Mini while they were on sale, specifically for using when out and about. It's a really nice reader for the purpose, but though I persisted for a while, I just cannot get to like the Kobo software.

What really kills it for me though, is that it does not sync with my Kindles when I get back home.

I've gone back to using the Kindle app on my iPhone when out and about, and a Kindle when I get home again.

Meanwhile, I am waiting anxiously for delivery of my pre-ordered PW2 which is not due here in Oz until late October-early November.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #33
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
AFAIK the lighted screens come directly from eInk that way. At least they offer lit screens for sale.
I'm quite sure that, if Amazon asked eInk to supply 5" screens, eInk would not say "No."
Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #34
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Does it stop the glare? (DecalGirl film) I could care less about fingerprints. I clean the screen every so often.

Regarding how many Kindles does one need? I have 5. Actually 4, hubby got my KK3 and he actually uses it.
Matte black DecalGirl on the black Kindle bezel helps with fingerprints and covering the white Kindle logo for those that it bothers. Unfortunately its help on glare is limited. It has a light-dispersing texture that helps somewhat, but it is still plastic vinyl that isn't completely matte like a textile/felt might be.

My full review of DecalGirl film here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,164514.0.html
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My understanding is that there is no such thing as a lighted e-ink screen. There are e-ink screens and frontlights and capacitive layers added on top. Whether the Amazon light guide comes via e-ink or not, I believe it is a custom-order anyway and not something e-ink sells to everyone. It may also be Amazon buys e-ink screens from e-ink and applies light guides manufactured elsewhere?

E-ink is much unlike LCD and LED screens in that those have backlighting as an integral part of the screen. On e-ink the lighting is literally glued on top. Of course it may be that the e-ink part has a slightly different top layer in preparation for this, but frontlight is still very separate in a sense.
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #36
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearindex View Post
Matte black DecalGirl on the black Kindle bezel helps with fingerprints and covering the white Kindle logo for those that it bothers. Unfortunately its help on glare is limited. It has a light-dispersing texture that helps somewhat, but it is still plastic vinyl that isn't completely matte like a textile/felt might be.

My full review of DecalGirl film here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,164514.0.html
I have GelaSkins on all of my Kindles. I don't see any fingerprints at all.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post

What really kills it for me though, is that it does not sync with my Kindles when I get back home.
I never worry about syncing. As long as I have a working TOC I can easily find my place on any device.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I'm quite sure that, if Amazon asked eInk to supply 5" screens, eInk would not say "No."
Oh never mind me. I misread the statement. Too early for my brain LOL

Last edited by booklover6; 10-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
heheh I have four Kindles and an iPad. My DXG was my out and about reader for a while. Then again, I am rarely out and about and need an e-reader so it was going with my to the Doctors office, Dentist, and that was about it. Starbucks when I felt like it....

I know some people give away their Kindles when they get a new one. I might actually look for a home for my K3 now that I have the PW but I like having an extra e-reader in the house so that when I have guests staying over I can give them access to my library. Pretty much everyone in my family reads (and owns a Kindle or iPad) so not having paper books to lend is annoying to them.

Maybe I'll give my MIL the K3....
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I'm sure they wouldn't either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #41
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably Amazon does not think that there is much of a market for a 5 inch screen. There is enough that Kobo makes one but I doubt that it is their big mover.

Amazon keeps the 3G Kindle for folks who want connectivity whereever they go and for folks who don't own a computer or don't have WiFi (and yes, I know folks in both those catagories). Amazon is the only one of the major e-readers to do that. It is a niche market. (shrugs)

Heck, I remember people who posted here thinking that WiFi was not needed for their Sony's and if Sony ever did that they would be disappointed. And touch screens were awful (I was one of those). And a whole bunch of other things.

If Kobo was selling a ton of the mini, Amazon would make one. Just like Amazon added the touch screen and the front lighting after Nook and Sony had them. Just like Sony added WiFi after the Kindle and Nook had them.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It's also worth nothing that the Kobo Mini has been on sale a couple of times, which sort of tells you that it's perhaps not selling that well. Currently available here in the UK for £39.99 instead of the original £59.99 price, and it has been for a while now. I believe it's on sale in Canada and the US too?

I really like my Sony 350 and if anything happened to it I'd be grabbing a Kobo Mini to replace it, but seems like a smaller sized reader isn't really of interest to Amazon.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #43
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

The Kindle DXG is down to $189 now. Another device that has not been selling well.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #44
fearindex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Kindle DXG is down to $189 now. Another device that has not been selling well.
I expect it is only a matter of time before DX goes away, unfortunately.

Sure, it probably hasn't sold well, but let's be honest: Amazon also dropped the ball on it a long time ago. It was, after all, released over three (!) years ago and has not seen an update since. That's forever in the world of technology. Not to mention that it's big screen form-factor and thus more frequent PDF use would have really needed more power and better features. I expect an updated version might have at least fared a little better.

I hope the regular e-ink Kindle isn't next on the chopping block. Frontlit e-ink is not for everyone.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #45
fearindex
Addict

The official Kindle DX leather case is also $9.98 now too (with the regular $2 MP3 credit too), not sure if it was lowered just now or earlier. Either way, considering it normally cost $50 or so, and the high quality of this generation of official covers, it is very good value - if you are into the DX thing of course.

DX at $189 is also very good value now of course, considering its previous pricing, but only if you have a particular use for this type of device of course - it is no longer state of the art in any way, but it is a nice device for what it is.