Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
The Easy Way To Root

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24158...id_tablet.html

I am running an older verion of Cyanogen and have been for several months. I may do this in order to reduce the amount of time it takes to do it on my own. It was a pain in the you know what.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
I went the N2A route several months ago and it was a good decision. Easy to load, lots of extras, no glitches. Speedy service as well.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I guess I don't understand spending the money on this when there is step by step instructions...I mean, hold your hand, don't need to know anything step by step instructions.

I guess if you have the money to burn...but glad it worked out for you all...to me it just seems like a money grab.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I used it too and was glad I did.

We all decide what little extras to allow ourselves.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
the author of the linked piece has a factual error:

"... That means you're not voiding your warranty, unlike when you root the Nook. ..."

INCORRECT.

Astute Nook STR owners who 'upgrade' are generally knowledgeable enough to prudently create a backup *first,* and are able to restore an 'upgraded' Nook to original condition.

p.s. and there's no reason to pay for a prepped microsd - simply a waste of money
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
the author of the linked piece has a factual error:

"... That means you're not voiding your warranty, unlike when you root the Nook. ..."

INCORRECT.

Astute Nook STR owners who 'upgrade' are generally knowledgeable enough to prudently create a backup *first,* and are able to restore an 'upgraded' Nook to original condition.

p.s. and there's no reason to pay for a prepped microsd - simply a waste of money
The repeated use of the word "color" might have tipped you off that this thread and article is not about the STR or any process that can be applied to it. Granted, it's not about rooting, either...

As for n2a, I don't begrudge them providing a service that people appear to want. They do provide both documentation and support beyond simply burning the cards, and $20-30 in excess of materials is not exorbitant for an indefinite support contract. When people proposition me to burn a card for them, I point them at n2a.

It does seem a little ridiculous to buy a n2a card rather than UPDATE a card after you've already built one. It's like buying a new car rather than getting an oil change. Here is a step-by-step guide to updating an older verygreen SASD card to CM7.1: http://taosaur.blogspot.com/2011/10/...ook-color.html
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
ahem, the context was "... when you root the Nook ..."

the process described in the article is dual-booting, not rooting... dual booting the Nook Color is NOT rooting...

so who is using incorrect term here?
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I mistook which part of the quote you found false and assumed you responded in ignorance of the ability to run an OS entirely from SD on the NC. Admission of using either method would be sufficient grounds for B&N to opt not to honor the warranty, but neither method need be evident if warranty service is required.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I would love this if it worked with the STR. I looked at this when I thought I might get a color. I know zero about linux so for me it would be worth it. I'll eventually root the STR because I can't stand the library and how its managed. But I think it will be a little bit because I don't even know where to get started (yet). I've only had it a few days.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I did my own CM7 SD card today, and even modified it to make it dual boot. It wasn't difficult, but I totally understand why people buy the ready-made.
Either way, this booting from SD card is awsome! If you don't have a dual boot card, just pop it out and you're back to stock BN OS!
I don't think I would have been comfortable rooting it any other way, but this feels really "safe" (as much as anything involving anything even remotely related to computers is "safe"...).
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior

FYI, any current (CM7.1+) card should be dual boot by default, without removing the card. If you had to install a multiboot separately, you were probably using an outdated method.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
FYI, any current (CM7.1+) card should be dual boot by default, without removing the card. If you had to install a multiboot separately, you were probably using an outdated method.
Thanks for that info! I went back and undid my last change and the original card I made was indeed dual boot, and with a nicer boot startup interface as well!
The reason I didn't realize was that I followed an old (very good) tutorial but with newer versions of the files.
ANyone else doing this and follow Anamardol EXCELLENT tutorial, if you use the generic-sdcard-v1.3... something you'll get a dual boot card!

Last edited by Asawi; 01-06-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I have CM 7.1 on my SD card. How do I access the dual boot? If I power down and the power up no option comes up to select what i want.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
I have CM 7.1 on my SD card. How do I access the dual boot? If I power down and the power up no option comes up to select what i want.
If it's like mine you press the "n" key while starting up.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
if you use the generic-sdcard-v1.3... something you'll get a dual boot card!
The multi-boot bootloader actually comes with CM7, not verygreen's installer--it gets installed at the same time as the ROM.