Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #76
Freeballer
Freeballer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I have to ask. I just re-transfered all of my ebooks on kindle, with the new firmware, to get page numbers. Did I just waste alot of time doing so, or is there a better way in the future?
Freeballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #77
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeballer View Post
I have to ask. I just re-transfered all of my ebooks on kindle, with the new firmware, to get page numbers. Did I just waste alot of time doing so, or is there a better way in the future?
That's the only way. But since it's all done you won't have to spend any extra time in the future.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #78
Freeballer
Freeballer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
then I have to ask one more stupid question; is there any advantage (for me) of the "more reliable" page number in the newest version?
Freeballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #79
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeballer View Post
then I have to ask one more stupid question; is there any advantage (for me) of the "more reliable" page number in the newest version?
If you want them to be more reliable set the option and re-transfer them. Otherwise no.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #80
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
This sounds really great! This is a very important feature in the university environment, as has been noted. Even approximated page count is cool, because when somebody refers me to a page # it is certainly better to be few turns away than trying to calculate the possible position in those huge Amazon numbers

Two things I'd really love to see:
1. As already suggested, giving users the possibility of their own page markup would be great. Especially with extensively used study materials...
2. When converting from a OCRed/original PDF, could Calibre add page breaks (markup) to where it was in the PDF?
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #81
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
How do Calibre Page Nos. work with Amazon ones?

I hope this is not too dumb a question: If I import an Amazon-purchased book into Calibre (without DRM), and then move it to my Kindle 3 from Calibre, will the Calibre-generated page numbers overwrite the Amazon ones? Or, stated differently, how do the two systems work together, if at all?
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #82
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
I hope this is not too dumb a question
It's not, It's actually a very good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
If I import an Amazon-purchased book into Calibre (without DRM), and then move it to my Kindle 3 from Calibre, will the Calibre-generated page numbers overwrite the Amazon ones? Or, stated differently, how do the two systems work together, if at all?
The only way you will have Amazon page numbers is if you download the book to your Kindle using 3G or Wifi. Or if you manually copy the book plus the APNX file to your Kindle. The page numbers are in the APNX file.

If you have a book on your Kindle that has page numbers (APNX file) and you use Send to Device for that same book in calibre the APNX file will be replaced with calibre's.

Calibre itself does not store APNX files with the book. So any files within calibre you put on the Kindle using Send to Device will never have the Amazon page numbers. I don't foresee a conflict because a user sending a book to their Kindle that is already on their Kindle is slim (especially if it's a purchased DRM protected book that cannot be converted).
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #83
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Thanks for the quick reply. That helps a lot. I now see that books downloaded directly to my Kindle from Amazon have a separate APNX file; but if they're downloaded directly to my computer (or Kindle for PC) they don't. Similarly, a book transferred by Calibre's "Send to Device" ends up with an APNX file on my Kindle, but if I use Windows Explorer, I can just copy the .mobi file from My Calibre Library to my Kindle's Documents folder and, presumably, match up the name with the Amazon APNX file. I'm going to have to experiment a bit!
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #84
tamahome
tamahome began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Is there a way to add page numbers to the ipad kindle app?

I bought Haldeman's Old Twentieth, which has page numbers.

I tried to make an apnx file with the windows app on page 2, and drag it over with the same basename, but nothing changed. There's some kind of mbp file there where you drag the mobi file over.

Last edited by tamahome; 03-17-2011 at 10:36 PM.
tamahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #85
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahome View Post
Is there a way to add page numbers to the ipad kindle app?

I bought Haldeman's Old Twentieth, which has page numbers.

I tried to make an apnx file with the windows app on page 2, and drag it over with the same basename, but nothing changed. There's some kind of mbp file there where you drag the mobi file over.
I don't have an iPad, but Amazon's app page says:
Quote:
New Features on the Kindle for iPad App

* Real page numbers for thousands of books in the Kindle Store, with more coming soon. Now you can make proper citations in the classroom or follow along with people reading print books in a book club.
* Home screen now shows your progress through books in list view.
* Look up words on Google and Wikipedia without leaving the app.
* Instant word lookup on included dictionary with 250,000 entries and definitions.
So, if you have the latest version of the app, it should show page numbers for Old Twentieth. Perhaps you need to sync, or re-download the ebook?

Kindle for PC now has page numbers, and it has an .apnx file for each ebook with page numbers - stored in the same place as the .azw and .mbp files (just like on a Kindle 3). So I think the iPad must use .apnx files too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #86
tamahome

I'm saying the kindle book I bought show's page numbers fine, but when I try to make my own .mobi file from a free epub file, and try to make an apnx file from the windows app, it doesn't work. How do you convert to azw?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #87
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahome View Post
How do you convert to azw?
For all intens and purposes, MOBI and AZW are the same thing.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #88
tamahome

Can you generate working apnx files for the Kindle pc application?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #89
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Have you made sure you've downloaded the most recent version of the Kindle for iPad application, tamahome? I don't know for certain if the iPad app shows page numbers (though they do show with the latest version of the PC app), but I do know that page numbers won't work on older versions of the app that came out before Amazon introduced the page number feature on the Kindle itself.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #90
tamahome

Yes, I have the latest version of ipad kindle. I'm saying that kindle ebooks I buy show the page numbers just fine. It's just that when I convert a book with Calibre, I'm trying to get page numbers to show up.

Tags
apnx, page numbers