Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 08:39 AM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Calibre generated windows keep moving downwards

This is a long shot as it might not precisely be an issue from Calibre, but Calibre is the only program this happens in, so I thought I would ask. Someone might have an idea of what (if anything) in Calibre might react to Windows 11 and cause this to happen.

Here is the example that happens the most - so I remember it and can describe it:

I do Replace All when correcting a spelling error in one of my epubs, then I click on See What Changed. The window that comes up to compare the changes, moves down every time I use it. Almost half an inch (guesstimate). This is a window that I've sized fairly large (let's say 3/4 the size of my screen). After 2 to 3 uses, the bottom of that window is off the screen, so I can't access the buttons, and I have to manually drag it up.

This has been happening for a long time (more than a year), but it seems to be annoying me more lately.

It will happen with other windows, but many of them are small (like dialog boxes) and I keep them fairly high, so it would take very long before they move down to be noticeable, and I also move those around quite a lot for various reasons, so they aren't as annoying.

Any possible suggestions? Is it something my computer is interacting with Calibre about? Do most other programs not generally generate windows that this would be a problem? I'm not sure.

Thanks for any ideas, and if none, that's fine too.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:46 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
OS, graphics hardware, driver type, desktop setup, resolution, main or extra screen etc and all the versions inc Calibre version would be a minimum to know.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:50 PM   #3
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Sorry, yes. I have the most up-to-date version of Calibre (7.2), but this has been going on for more than a year, so all those versions. Actually, I **think** it started once it switched to Calibre 6, but I could be mis-remembering.

Not sure what you mean by desktop setup, but it's just my desktop, nothing special about it.

I think this is all the rest of the information:
Spoiler:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Graphics IntelI(R) UHD Graphics 630 -- driver just updated, not sure 'driver type'
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 23H2
OS build 22631.2861
Single Monitor
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Old 01-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yep, I've noticed this also with that Compare screen. I am pretty sure it has always happened even in v5.xx and v6.xx of Calibre, but I never really worried about it.

I've also noticed with that same Compare screen that the highlight, which is meant to show what is changed, does not always appear. At a guess its 50-50 whether the original-changed text will be highlighted.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:07 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...9303f182c31558
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:01 AM   #6
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Oh wow! I was kinda sure it was an interaction with my computer, a setting or something, so took a shot in the dark. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2024, 11:13 PM   #7
jbigler
jbigler began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've noticed the same issue happening with every window that calibre opens and it's still going on. My Edit metadata window is quite large and after a editing a few books the bottom of the window has gone below the bottom of the page. I'm running the calibre 7.6 flatpak on Arch Linux.
jbigler is offline   Reply With Quote