Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
camgee
camgee began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Filename for Display?

I have noticed that the ebooks that came with the jetbook lite all look fairly good on the display in the list ie. The have the author on the top line and the second line has as much of the title as can be displayed on the line. This is actually not ideal but I think it's the best the jetbook can do. Anybooks that I have placed on the jetbook lite however do not do this. They simply display as much of the filename as possible on the top line and nothing on the second line. How do I name my files to get this formatting? I have tried author#title but this doesn't seem to work either. Suggestions? Am I missing something simple.

Thanks,

camgee
camgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Arthur_Conan_Doyle#The_Adventure_of_the_Dying_Dete ctive.txt

This is a sample name as found from the jb_english.rar file from their website ( http://www.jetbook.net/books/JB_English.rar )

Perhaps it only parses correctly when spaces are replaced with the underscore character, or it only parses .txt extensions. I'm betting it's the spaces in the file name

Edit after test 1 - replace underscores with spaces:

Parses correctly if author or title has spaces also; so i lost that bet.

Edit after test 2 - Change filename extension

Does NOT parse a file with .epub extension.... I'm not going to test the dozens of other file extensions

Last edited by asperger; 04-14-2010 at 04:27 PM.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
camgee

Thanks for the investigation! I had not suspected that the different file extensions would be the cause of that. Hum. Well I hate the way it displays but I'm not sure I wanna convert every book to text. I wonder why it acts that way?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by camgee View Post
Thanks for the investigation! I had not suspected that the different file extensions would be the cause of that. Hum. Well I hate the way it displays but I'm not sure I wanna convert every book to text. I wonder why it acts that way?
The different extensions mirror the different e-book formats.

Some of these have meta-data or headers that always or sometimes contains the title and author and if the JetBook Lite knows this it shows that information and otherwise shows the filename. Text, .txt of course is very plain hence the # trick of which Arthur_Conan_Doyle#The_Adventure_of_the_Dying_Dete ctive.txt
is an example.

Copying what I added to
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JetBook_Lite

The Jetbooks display the title and author of each book with a file naming convention of author_Name#Title_of_Book.txt for text file in order to list/sort the books by either author or title. The file name is shown in other cases where the JetBook cannot extract the title and author from the file headers.
==

Thus FB2 e-books have metadata title and author - see the preloaded free books and PDF e-books may have - the two pre-loaded do not but I have a bunch of free e-books from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/free
For these the data is present but the author is given as the person who generated the PDF and the title is often "Microsoft Word" followed by the ISBN-13 reference.

HTH

Some Mobi and ePub e-book may contain metadata title and author, but I have no examples yet.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I see no evidence that the Aluratek Libre uses metadata within the .epub file to sort it's book list; I have however seen .epub books that contain this metadata and the libre has clearly demonstrated that it makes no use of this metadata.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asperger View Post
I see no evidence that the Aluratek Libre uses metadata within the .epub file to sort it's book list; I have however seen .epub books that contain this metadata and the libre has clearly demonstrated that it makes no use of this metadata.
I agree, all of my epubs have the proper metadata for title and author, but as of the latest firmware the jetBook-lite doesn't use it at all.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
kidtwisted
kidtwisted began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook-Lite
The file naming thing is mysterious, Ectaco should just spell it out for us.

Anyway I did discover one more that works!
fb2 files will work if named like this:

Arthur Conan Doyle_The Adventure of the Dying Detective.fb2

Use 1 underline to separate author and title. ( author_title.fb2 )

This results in the 2-line effect.
kidtwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
camgee

Actually the # instead of the _ also works on fb2 which has because of this become my favorite format for ebooks!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
kidtwisted

Yes, I agree.
I use fb2 for my calibre news feeds, just sucks that I have to rename them before I send them to my JBL. Calibre is naming everything the .txt way, need to figure out how to fix that.

Ectaco had used that underline method in the nyc_school folder, I think every book in there is fb2
Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
camgee

There are settings in preferences where you can adjust what filename calibre uses to save files and to add to device. I've found that it's easier actually to save files and then copy them rather than send to device mainly because of the slow usb 1.1 transfer time.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
kidtwisted

ya it's really slow, I do like the feature that auto updates the news feeds when I plug the JBL in . I did learn that that the JBL uses the meta data from pdf's, need to test the other formats still