Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Cary

I have been reading Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Cary. I've so far read the first 12 chapters. I'm finding it to be very slow going. There is no action. It just plods along and the characters are ones I seem to care nothing about. Does it get better if I continue reading it? Is the rest of the series just like this? I'd like to know what others think before I continue reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I abandoned it about 1/2 way through. I couldn't like the characters enough to invest that much time & energy in finishing the book and I certainly wasn't going to read any others in the series. I felt about this book much as I did when I read the first Thomas Covenant book, Lord Foul's Bane. I actually finished that one because I kept thinking, "surely this is going to get better." But it didn't. The guy just kept whining and moaning about all the ills that befell him -- there was nothing likable about him.

It's rare that I give up on a book. I have been known to set one aside for a very long time and eventually return to it. But Kushiel's Dart is one that I don't think I'll ever finish.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I finished the first one, liked the quality of the prose but was lukewarm about the story and characters. I got to the end, pretty much because, but passed on the sequel (sequels?). If you aren't happy with what you've read so far, it doesn't really change much.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I liked it and bought others. Liked them as well. But I'm that odd type that did not like "Lonesome Dove" that everyone was raving about. We each have our own tastes.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
i love the kushiel's series, but i was hooked on it pretty early on. most likely, if you're not enjoying it by now, it's not going to be your cup of tea.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Plodded through it and believe it or not bought the sequel by accident. Load of rubbish I thought but only an opinion. Gave up on it.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
On fictionwise they also have a very interesting price for Kushiel's Chosen.

You Pay: $27.95
Micropay Rebate: 20%
Cost After Rebate: $22.36

While Kindle Price: $7.99

I find it rediculous. I sent fictionwise email explaining the situation, 1 weel later I received a reply that they are going to have a look at it.....it was 1 months ago? Nothing changed ...

Btw. I was planning to read the series as well. Heard a lot of good things about it on some fantasy forums.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
In a similar vein to the world building and intrigue in Kushiel's:

(and if you like Kushner's Swordspoint) you might look at Sarah Monette's series - Melusine, The Virtu and The Mirador. Her series of short stories, The Bone Key, is also rather good. I really did NOT like her book Companion to Wolves (co-written with Elizabeth Bear).

Also The Lies of Locke Lamora (although I didn't enjoy the sequel as much), which is a fantasy/heist/caper/historical.

And one of my absolute favorites series, Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. I have a love-disinterest relationship with Bujold's books (her latest series does nothing for me AT ALL), but I adore these two books.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I love the Kushiel series, even though Phedre as a narrator is very slightly annoying. The books are not particularly action-heavy, although there are rather exciting action scenes scattered throughout the series. If the setting, the characters and the intrigue haven't hooked you by chapter 12, though, the series may just not be for you.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
GreyCat
Enthusiast
GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 & Opus, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
I love the Kushiel series, but I also found that the start of Kushiel's dart was sort of plodding. I can't tell you if you'll like it, but I took a look in my own copy and chapter 12 is still firmly in the slowly-plodding-along part. This book is absolutely a slow starter, but in my personal opinion well worth it. The last book in the series (the third in the second trilogy) is on the top of my reading list and and I'm sorry to see the series end.
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
On fictionwise they also have a very interesting price for Kushiel's Chosen.

You Pay: $27.95
Micropay Rebate: 20%
Cost After Rebate: $22.36

While Kindle Price: $7.99

I find it rediculous. I sent fictionwise email explaining the situation, 1 weel later I received a reply that they are going to have a look at it.....it was 1 months ago? Nothing changed ...

Btw. I was planning to read the series as well. Heard a lot of good things about it on some fantasy forums.
I know I am not going to be purchasing this title, but I've also sent a message to them. I decided to have a look at BooksOnBoard as well and sent them a message about it as well. $11.20 is still too pricey.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've just taken a look at the new book Kushiel's Mercy and found that Sony and Amazon both have it for $7.19 while Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard are both way overpriced. On Sony's site it says the list price is $7.99 and if that is true, why do BoB and FW both have it priced higher?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have been reading Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Cary. I've so far read the first 12 chapters. I'm finding it to be very slow going. There is no action. It just plods along and the characters are ones I seem to care nothing about. Does it get better if I continue reading it? Is the rest of the series just like this? I'd like to know what others think before I continue reading.
Did you find this as an ebook? I've been looking at Amazon and Fictionwise but my only result so far is for the paperback. Doesn't seem like the publishing industry is very keen on releasing older books as ebooks. Really annoying.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
rocketgranny
rocketgranny is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Like Elsi (Post #2), I had to stop reading Kushiel's Dart about midway through (something I hardly ever do) and I wound up dumping it in the trash just last week (something I've never done before).

If you're looking for dark-goosebumps stuff, try Anne Bishop's "Black Jewels" trilogy ... no S&M stuff and a doozy of a story line <grin>.
rocketgranny is offline   Reply With Quote