Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This version...
Thanks for the guide! Can we use it in documentation?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Thanks for the guide! Can we use it in documentation?
Yes. I would have put it in the OpenInkPot wiki myself, but I am not sure how to in-line images in wiki pages.
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

I like this version a lot. It is very stable. There was one thing though that made me revert back to BeBook firmware. It can't handle .doc files. This is because CoolReader 3 doesn't handle them, and FBreader never did. Bummer.
Other than that, great firmware. Love the Turbo mode.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Helpfull: Would be nice to have a context aware help page/menu item that shows the options available per reader/bookshelf. There are so many options and they slightly differ per reader that it would help as a reminder.
I am not entirely happy with how it displays in FBReader, but see the attached single-file HTML ebook based on OpenInkpot 0.2 Users' Guide. This could be bound to a "help" key for FBReader and CR3.

Cool Reader does a good job displaying this document. FBReader does not handle tables well, and maps h1-h6 to chapter headings (so I removed h3-h6). I also changed "long pressed" to "long press", and I wonder if "long press 2" (say) could be replaced with "L2" without causing too much confusion.

It is also possible to create a PDF version of the original web page using (say) PDFdownload. This can then be used with locoPDF.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OIP_UsersGuide.htm.zip (2.0 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-25-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I've been using the FBReader in openinkpot and have been pleased so far. Kudos to everybody in the team!

One minor question. After reading a book in FBReader, the book stays at the end of the book upon futher re-entry to the book. How you you reset the pointer to the start of the book?
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #21
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
One minor question. After reading a book in FBReader, the book stays at the end of the book upon futher re-entry to the book. How you you reset the pointer to the start of the book?
"Go to page", 1, Enter. See the User's Guide for details.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #22
motorhead
motorhead began at the beginning.

Device: Lbook V3
Thanks a lot. Your efforts are much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #23
ckphk
ckphk began at the beginning.

Device: Palm M505
I tried the snapshot, and have the following comment:
Goods: I like fbreader. It is more convenient in reading mobi books, especially those with hyperlinks. (I have a lot of them, as I create books for online magazine using MobiPocket Web Companion.

Bads: I can never get the pdf reader to work properly. Whenever I zoom to several levels to a readable size, my V3 simply hangs. The pdf are academic papers downloaded from the web. I know they are not scans, as I can cut-and-paste from evince under Linux.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to reflow the text in pdf?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #24
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Annoying: No option to specify the default reader. It's nice that the press number a couple of secs gives you the option, but I would like the option to change the default reader. Preferably in the bookshelf menu.
Is this available now somehow or planned for some future version? I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #25
Xachariah
Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckphk View Post
I tried the snapshot, and have the following comment:
Goods: I like fbreader. It is more convenient in reading mobi books, especially those with hyperlinks. (I have a lot of them, as I create books for online magazine using MobiPocket Web Companion.

Bads: I can never get the pdf reader to work properly. Whenever I zoom to several levels to a readable size, my V3 simply hangs. The pdf are academic papers downloaded from the web. I know they are not scans, as I can cut-and-paste from evince under Linux.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to reflow the text in pdf?
If the PDF academic work is just text for the most part, then convert it to .mobi or something. Download the Mobipocket Reader program, open it up then drag the PDF file to the Mobipocket Reader window. This instantly converts the PDF to an open .mobi file. So far the most painless way I've found to convert PDF's.

Then just rightclick, open containing folder, copy the .mobi file to the device/SD card or whatever you do to get it on the device.

Text is usually correctly paragraphed, formatted and justified as according to the PDF. Images don't play fair though.