Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #1201
XabisMission
XabisMission began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi, I have a PW2 5.4.0 and have just jailbroken fine. I want to use covers as my screen saver and I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter, but I still have the crappy pencils and typewriters etc. screen saver. Can anyone help please?
XabisMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #1202
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Can you confirm the steps you have done?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #1203
XabisMission

Sorry for the late reply.

I jailbroke with the Kindle 5-4 jailbreak. This worked correctly and ***JAILBREAK*** appeared.

I then used Update_python_0.10.N_install_pw2.bin following the instructions [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle

The first time I did this I got error 06. I applied the jailbreak again as I wasn't sure if the error was from that and then ran Python again which this time gave no error.

Finally I put Update_linkss_0.17.N_install_pw2.bin into my root directory and did [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. Once this was done I put a blank file named cover in the linkss folder and did [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart

I tried a couple of books, but both just gave the standard screen savers. The book covers do show fine on the home screen though.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #1204
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@XabisMission: Did you check what was used as a screensaver right after the install (i.e., before the cover file + restart)?

Also, check the FAQ in the first post, what you describe looks like a failed install (or a PEBCAK).

The first U006 error sounds weird (it's the generic 'update failed' error, nothing specific), but let's chalk it up to otaupd being confused...

The usual recommendation in these cases is:

* Uninstall linkss
* Remove the linkss folder
* Reinstall linkss
* STOP

Don't touch anything, or add anything to the linkss folder, before confirming that it works (i.e., you get the 'Hi, I'm the SS hack' screensaver).

Bonus question, just in case: What do you mean by 'the standard screensavers'?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-10-2014 at 06:14 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #1205
XabisMission

Ok, will try that now. How do I uninstall linkss? Sorry for sounding like a total noob
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #1206
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same procedure as the install, except you use the _uninstall.bin file .
Old 07-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #1207
XabisMission

D'oh! Of course! Standard screensavers, I mean the pencils and typewriters that come up.

Right, uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled.

I've opened a book and then pressed the standby button and the usual screensaver comes up. (some pencils this time)

I can't believe this is causing me such trouble! I can build a PC blindfolded
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #1208
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Hmm. If both the uninstall and the install were successful, you deleted the linkss folder in between, and didn't touch anything, that's strange.

I guess what's left is taking a look at the logs:

Enter ;dm in the Homescreen's search bar: instead of showing you a search results page, it'll generate a bunch of text files in the documents folder. PM me those, and I'll see if I can figure out what's happening .
Old 07-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #1209
XabisMission

Thanks Can I send the files or just the text? They seem pretty big to just paste into a pm
Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #1210
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@XabisMission: Yeah, zipping them up and uploading them somewhere would be preferable .
Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #1211
AussieRob
AussieRob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi,

Just joined the forum 5 minutes ago... Just wanted to say thanks for the jailbreak guide and the files. Awesome work!
AussieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #1212
XabisMission

NiLuJe, you are an absolute star! I've deleted, reinstalled and followed all your instructions and I now have working a working cover screen saver

Thank you so much for taking time to help. Much appreciated!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #1213
Verlander
Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Disappearing BIN files

Hi guys. My first post on here.

Trying to jailbreak my brand new Kindle Paperwhite 2 (last 4 digits of SN: 00VB) just to be able to use custom screensavers - I don't want to do anything else.

Strange problem. I have downloaded the following files to the Kindle's root directory:

Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.10.N_install.bin

Update_linkss_0.17.N_install_pw2.bin

However these files will not stay on the device. As soon as I unplug they disappear from the Kindle and, therefore, the 'Update Your Kindle' link on the device stays grayed out.

I have tried putting the files on one at a time, and tried putting both on at the same time. The result is the same.

What am I doing wrong please?
Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #1214
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Verlander-
When you download the Jailbreak zip file, inside of it you will find another zip file...it is the contents of THIS zip file that you need to place in your kindle's root directory for the jailbreak. Remember to always do an update or restart with no usb cables attached. If this doesn't help, try posting in the jailbreak thread.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #1215
Verlander
Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Verlander-
When you download the Jailbreak zip file, inside of it you will find another zip file...it is the contents of THIS zip file that you need to place in your kindle's root directory for the jailbreak. Remember to always do an update or restart with no usb cables attached. If this doesn't help, try posting in the jailbreak thread.
Thanks. I tried that after posting. In the file kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip there are the following files, which I assume are the correct files to install on the device:

Update_jb_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh jb.sh).bin
bridge.sh
jb.sh

The .sh files stay on the Kindle but the .bin file disappears as soon as I break the USB connection.

Does this give any clue as to what is happening?
Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch