Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
userburt
userburt began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Inadvertent zooming

I mostly use the included stylus on the tablet side of the PE, and sometimes when I'm trying to use it to drag a page in a browser (either the stock one or Dolphin Mini) or in a pdf reader (either pdfToGo or ezPdf) the page zooms either in or out. But when I try to deliberately zoom by repeating what I just did, it just drags the page. If I could control this, it would be neat! Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Also, a tip to other newbies: don't ignore the little track pad like I did at first. It's often a less-frustrating way to move around the screen in lots of apps.
userburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
whenever you remove the stylus from the screen, even if its just a very small amount, you will trigger a zoom, I wouldn't recommend putting more pressure on the screen, just trying to be more conscious of it, to zoom yourself(not accidentally) just tap twice in quick succession.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by userburt View Post
Also, a tip to other newbies: don't ignore the little track pad like I did at first. It's often a less-frustrating way to move around the screen in lots of apps.
Thanks for the reminder! I hadn't played with the trackpad much!
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
userburt
userburt began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
whenever you remove the stylus from the screen, even if its just a very small amount, you will trigger a zoom, I wouldn't recommend putting more pressure on the screen, just trying to be more conscious of it, to zoom yourself(not accidentally) just tap twice in quick succession.
Thanks for your reply!
However, this is happening while the stylus (or my fingernail) is still on the screen, finishing a diagonal or vertical motion. I also sometimes select a link when I'm trying to drag the page.
userburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
yes, as I said, even if your stylus is only .001mm off of that screen its going to consider itself as off, the way they use this screen is binary, either on or off. A little more pressure might actually not be bad if this is happening frequently. Most devices these days use capacitive screens(the ones that can do multitouch but can only be used with fingers), with those you can lift your finger a bit off the screen and it wont notice the difference(it will but it will be within a set margin of error), however, this device uses a resistive screen, which can't detect your stylus or fingernail is there unless it is actually applying pressure to the screen. This is the only reason you would be experiencing the two things that you are.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by userburt View Post
I mostly use the included stylus on the tablet side of the PE, and sometimes when I'm trying to use it to drag a page in a browser (either the stock one or Dolphin Mini) or in a pdf reader (either pdfToGo or ezPdf) the page zooms either in or out. But when I try to deliberately zoom by repeating what I just did, it just drags the page. If I could control this, it would be neat! Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
I see this too. I also notice that when I'm using the keyboard (swype makes it obvious) it rarely but occasionally thinks that I'm pressing on the bottom of the screen for a moment, rather than where I actually am pressing. Which is where the zoom buttons are.

So, to stop it happening, do your scrolling more to the left.
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
The trackpad is pretty awesome, although I haven't quite figured out what to use it for.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
HAHA I've only just discovered this weekend that the track pad is actually a track pad! I though it was some kind of a light sensor to detect when the PE was closed!

Personally I've found it to be useful for moving the cursor around while typing (for editing.) I've found that touching the spot with the stylus is often not quite right.. it'll place the cursor on the wrong side of where I want it for example so it's easy to correct that with the pad.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
Personally I've found it to be useful for moving the cursor around while typing (for editing.) I've found that touching the spot with the stylus is often not quite right.. it'll place the cursor on the wrong side of where I want it for example so it's easy to correct that with the pad.
I've had my PE since February and I never knew that! I just keep trying to stick the stylus between letters and if I hit the wrong spot I try it again. Thanks for the tip!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Keep in mind that the trackpad is also a button useful for scrolling and selecting.
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
Trackpad? Does that mean the pretty, blue-lit trackball?
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_jennings View Post
Trackpad? Does that mean the pretty, blue-lit trackball?
Ken, it appears we with the EE have a trackball/button while the PE has an optical trackpad/button of about the same size. Possibly because it was easier on the smaller device.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote