Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #1
mitch77
mitch77 began at the beginning.

Device: Asus
Lightbulb IDEA : book shortcut to reader

Say you are reading book in Calibre on your comp.

Right click on book, choose "Save Shortcut to book" on Desktop (or choose location)

Then you can double click shortcut to open Calibre AND
the book you are reading

You do not find the book every time you open Calibre
and then open the reader.

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-16-2015 at 04:58 PM.
mitch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Please don't post in the Development subforum unless you are planning to do the development yourself - read the sticky at the top of the sub-forum

@mitch77 - press 'O' to open book folder in File/Windows Explorer, drag the format file (e.g. EPUB) to the desktop with right button down, release the button, select Create shortcut here, close File/Windows Explorer window Alt+F4.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
mitch77

Press "O" from where?
I had my book selected in Calibre, pressing 'O' or ctrl O does nothing.

I tried going to the book and dragging a shortcut (epub) to my desktop.
The shortcut opens Calibre and tells me I already have that same book saved.
(it's just the shortcut).
It does not open the reader so I can resume reading.

I am sorry I posted in the wrong area but it's still a good idea and
immeasurably easier than whatever you are trying to explain to me.

So where do I go to offer this to those working to make Calibre better?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch77 View Post
Press "O" from where?
I had my book selected in Calibre, pressing 'O' or ctrl O does nothing.

I tried going to the book and dragging a shortcut (epub) to my desktop.
The shortcut opens Calibre and tells me I already have that same book saved.
(it's just the shortcut).
It does not open the reader so I can resume reading.

I am sorry I posted in the wrong area but it's still a good idea and
immeasurably easier than whatever you are trying to explain to me.

So where do I go to offer this to those working to make Calibre better?
O is the standard shortcut for Open Containing folder (on my Win and Linux)
(you are now under the skirts... Caution: Make no changes to those files while there)

Have you reassigned calibre shortcuts?

BTW Right-click on a title row: Open Containing Folder should be there (default: context menu)

We are assuming Windows for how to make a desktop shortcut
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
O is the standard shortcut for Open Containing folder (on my Win and Linux)
(you are now under the skirts... Caution: Make no changes to those files while there)

Have you reassigned calibre shortcuts?

BTW Right-click on a title row: Open Containing Folder should be there (default: context menu)

We are assuming Windows for how to make a desktop shortcut
I know Mantano And Aldiko (both Android) allow you to create shortcuts that will open the book at the last place you read. The instructions given here do make a shortcut on the desktop. But if you try to use the shortcut it won't open Calibre and allow you to read the book, it only try to add the book again to calibre's library, since that is the default action.

To reformulate Mitch77's Question: Is there a way to bypass Calibre's library, which allows you to create a shortcut on the desktop that allow one to open calibre's reader, and continue reading like Mantano & Aldiko
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply associate the ebook file type (for example epub) with ebook-viewer.exe from calibre. Then whenever you create a shortcut to the file using the standard windows create shortcut tool, it will open in the calibre viewer directly, and the calibre viewer remembers the place it was at automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
mitch77

THANKS kovidgoyal!

Still not as good an idea as my mod but it works.

How great to have a context menu command 'Shortcut To Desktop'.
When you've read the book just delete the shortcut.
From what I've seen on our college campus a lot of ppl read books with Calibre on regular computers.

Thanks again.