Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #316
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I will read almost anything in an audio book, though I tend towards fiction. Something with a fairly fast pace is good for workouts and swimming, and others with a bit more character development work well for work around the house or knitting.

Right now reading Plan B by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Perfect for a fall afternoon sitting in the sun and knitting.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #317
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I gave up on the audio of Dance with Dragons, despite a good Tyrion bit and a good narrator. I just can't take Martin. He is all over the place. I'll have to get the story through the TV show and I can't believe I just said that.

I just finished listening to Fledgling by Octavia Butler. It is a freaky story and would probably squick quite a few people out too much but I enjoyed it. It was definitely a very different take on Vampires.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #318
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might want to try the Liaden series. They're well read, and interesting. The books in the Regencies story arc are fairly standalone, as are the Before. But the main story arc is the Agent of Change sequence. And, actually, the first book in the Theo Waitely sequence, Fledgeling, works well as standalone.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #319
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The Big Finish audio recordings of Sapphire and Steel are really quite scary. I have just finished "The School" with its amazing twists and turns of event and characterization. Perhaps it isn't as frightening as Daisy Chain but is remarkably original!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #320
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I realize I have already done a lot of listening this month, including a couple of podcast stories I can recommend:

H. P. Lovecraft: The Temple
http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=41996

Adam-Troy Castro: My Wife Hates Time Travel
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...s-time-travel/

Harry Harrison: The Streets of Ashkelon
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...s-of-ashkelon/

Peter Sursey: The Seven Samovars
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...even-samovars/

Robert Reed: Flowing Unimpeded to the Enlightenment
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...enlightenment/

Nina Kiriki Hoffman: Monster, Finder, Shifter
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...inder-shifter/

David Barr Kirtley: The Black Bird
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...he-black-bird/

Of the above I liked the Adam-Troy Castro story the most.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #321
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Of the above I liked the Adam-Troy Castro story the most.
I really like the sound of that, thanks

EDIT: though I can't find it on Audible, unfortunately. Or am I getting confused, and it's just a short story, and that's the whole of it there on the page you have linked to?

Last edited by orlok; 10-17-2012 at 05:28 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #322
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@orlok, My Wife Hates Time Travel is "just" a short story, not a novel, and it is free on the Lightspeed Magazine website. There is also a button that says "Listen" to download the podcast (which can also be found on iTunes if you prefer that way, I do).
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #323
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
@orlok, My Wife Hates Time Travel is "just" a short story, not a novel, and it is free on the Lightspeed Magazine website. There is also a button that says "Listen" to download the podcast (which can also be found on iTunes if you prefer that way, I do).
Thanks, my mistake. After I posted last time I finished reading the story on the web page - I had assumed it was just the first chapter. It was fun, and I think could have made a good full-length novel.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #324
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks, my mistake. After I posted last time I finished reading the story on the web page - I had assumed it was just the first chapter. It was fun, and I think could have made a good full-length novel.
Oh, I would love to read that, too! That would be cool. I am a sucker for time travel and parallel worlds.

So, what else have I listened to this month?

Finished the Librivox reading of After London by Richard Jefferies. If you are interested in early science fiction, I recommend it. The audio quality is quite good, too.

Also finished listening to the third (and last) part of the anthology Welcome to Bordertown, edited by Ellen Kushner and Holly Black. The stories in this anthology are written by well-known authors who apparently were all fans of the Bordertown series when they were younger. So beware, this is more of a Young Adult book, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you want a sample, there are at least two stories that have been podcasted:

Shannon's Law by Cory Doctorow

The Rowan Gentleman by Holly Black and Cassandra Claire

I also listened to The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I had already read this a couple of years ago and loved it. The alternating points of view of Claire and Henry are realized with two different narrators, which was brilliant. You could never get lost this way. Highly recommended.

More classics: The Wonderful Wizard of Ozby L. Frank Baum, narrated by Anne Hathaway. I have listened to another audiobook of this story years ago which I didn't like nearly as much as this one. Hathaway really brought the characters to life.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #325
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Right now reading Plan B by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Perfect for a fall afternoon sitting in the sun and knitting.
Finished reading Plan B, as well as I Dare, the last of the Agent of Change sequence. Also read Fledgling, the first of the Theo Waitley sequence. New reader for this sequence, Eileen Stevens.

Now onto Saltation, the second of the Theo Waitley sequence. I admit, the start of Fledgling is not my favourite bit of Lee and Miller, but by the middle of the book I was engrossed again, and totally involved. And I'm staying engrossed as the series continues. The reader, Eileen Stevens, is excellent.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #326
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Finished reading Plan B, as well as I Dare, the last of the Agent of Change sequence. Also read Fledgling, the first of the Theo Waitley sequence. New reader for this sequence, Eileen Stevens.

Now onto Saltation, the second of the Theo Waitley sequence. I admit, the start of Fledgling is not my favourite bit of Lee and Miller, but by the middle of the book I was engrossed again, and totally involved. And I'm staying engrossed as the series continues. The reader, Eileen Stevens, is excellent.
Thanks, CR, for recommending those. I'll have to give them a listen.

My library had eAudio of Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus by Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy. It was quite good. The chapter on Pasteur is titled "King Louis," which I loved. How great is it that he was known as "The People's Scientist" in his lifetime and the phrase "science for the people" is pretty wonderful, too.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #327
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Finished listening to The Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker. Not nearly as engaging as Dracula, but it still makes for decent Halloween reading. Oliver Wyman's performance is good to very good and does justice to the story (I listened to the Audible version of the book).

If you like horror classics, this one might be for you.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #328
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Finished Riptide by Preston & Child, I liked the concept Pirates and lost tresure and it got off to a great start but the last third kinda fell apart and bordered on the ridicules one of those could've been great novels. Now Listening to The Twelve and I'm rather surprised where the plot has gone in the first part but I say no more for fear of spoiling
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #329
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished Saltation, and enjoyed it immensely. Moving on to Ghost Ship, the next in the sequence.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #330
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm currently reading "Carpe Diem" by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. The narrator, Andy Caploe, is doing an excellent job with all the voices, especially with Edger and Zhena Trelu.

"Borril"! - LOL

I'm working my way through the Agent of Change series; it's as comforting as visiting with a bunch of old, dear friends.

Damn that Department of the Interior! Those fiends!

Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations