Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Consumer Reports: Nook Beats The Kindle

According to an article at Business Insider, the new Nook beats the most recent Kindle.

Personally, I think Consumer Reports is off the mark. After watching all the trouble brick and mortar stores are having I'll stick with Amazon. Plus, Amazon has been a leader in innovating with the Kindle and they are rumored to have some really nice products in the pipeline. Since you are kind of locked in when you buy an eReader I'd be leary about locking into the Nook (although it does run the Amazon reader app so maybe that's not a huge deal). Amazon's customer service is also very good.

One more thing, Amazon's Kindle Store recently passed the one million books mark.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
kindle leader in innovating?

just curious how's that? They most certainly weren't the first ebook reader nor the first to have eInk. Sony and BN have been way more innovating than the Kindle> Now they without a doubt had the best marketing campaign but otherwise, they've actually been playing catch up in alot of areas from design, to Lending to friends, to pricing (remember it was Amazon who reacted to BN when they dropped the price of the nook); color, library lending, ePub etc.
and let's face it there next eink will be all touch, again playing catch up. They sat on their lead and it shows.

and why would you be leary of being "locked" in with BN for one it accepts ePub (something the kindle does not) so you can shop anywhere and besides BN's selection is pretty much on par with Amazon and price wise as well.

The current Kindle looks very very outdated hardware wise.

Last edited by boswd; 06-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The current Kindle looks very very outdated hardware wise.
Do you think so? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Kindle 3 was the first device on the market to use the new "Pearl" eInk screen. Isn't the screen the most important part of a reader's hardware?

There seems to be a view that touch screens are automatically better than buttons. Personally I disagree with this view; I don't want to read on a screen that's smudged with fingerprints, and I find touch screens inaccurate for dictionary lookup and text selection. I have readers with touch screens, eg the Sony PRS-350, iPhone, and iPad, but the reader I find myself using more than anything is the "outdated" Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
It looks like CR didn't rank the Nook STR that much better than the Kindle, and the author seems to admit that the difference will certainly be temporary. One thing not addressed at all in the comparison CR did was touch vs. buttons. There are some people (myself included, I think) who will never see a touch interface as being better than a button-based interface.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you think so? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Kindle 3 was the first device on the market to use the new "Pearl" eInk screen. Isn't the screen the most important part of a reader's hardware?
And it locked every other ereader manufacturer beside Amazon and Sony from using Pearl for 6 months. If the other features of the kindle were that much better, they wouldn't have feared the competition.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
And it locked every other ereader manufacturer beside Amazon and Sony from using Pearl for 6 months. If the other features of the kindle were that much better, they wouldn't have feared the competition.
Getting a 6-month jump on the competition was a smart business move. I don't think you can say that "fear" was the motivating factor.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

There seems to be a view that touch screens are automatically better than buttons. Personally I disagree with this view; I don't want to read on a screen that's smudged with fingerprints, and I find touch screens inaccurate for dictionary lookup and text selection. I have readers with touch screens, eg the Sony PRS-350, iPhone, and iPad, but the reader I find myself using more than anything is the "outdated" Kindle.
well Harry lets not mix up a better contrast as some technology advancement. That's really all it is. If I bought a TV today that has a contrast ratio of 50,000 : 1 as compared to last years model of 30,000: 1 I'm not inclined to think WOW this is the latest and greatest.
Pearl Screen is a little better contrast ratio nothing more nothing less.

Now whether or not someone prefers buttons to touch or touch to buttons is always going to be subjectable to each individual. But on just pure technology wise, not factoring in your personal preferance. touch screen is more technically advanced than buttons.

IOW's my Father will prefer his clam shell $30 cell phone to any smart phone. But his onld nokia isn't more advanced than my Droid X.

that's what I mean.

Also these types of screens don't pick up smudges etc.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
There seems to be a view that touch screens are automatically better than buttons.
It does seem to be the prevailing view in most of the reviews and articles I've been reading of late.

Amazon will probably go touch on the next Kindle due to this perception, I just hope they keep some buttons (at least everything but the keyboard).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Also these types of screens don't pick up smudges etc.
Huh. I'll have to talk to my 950 and find out why it's not conforming.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It does seem to be the prevailing view in most of the reviews and articles I've been reading of late.

Amazon will probably go touch on the next Kindle due to this perception, I just hope they keep some buttons (at least everything but the keyboard).
I think it's that way because this is the generation we are living in and where it is heading. So many aspects of our daily lives has touchscreens and most electronic gadgets have touch screens. Buttons will always have a place but it's place of the dominant form of navigation and operation on our electronice devices is rapidly coming to a close.

What I see here on this forum is more mixing up personal preferance to what is the prevailing technology.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
well Harry lets not mix up a better contrast as some technology advancement.
A 50% contrast improvement is most definitely a "technology advancement", and the difference between the 2nd gen Vizplex and 3rd gen Pearl screens is dramatic, to my eyes. Again, this is perhaps a matter of personal perception, but to me this was a HUGE technology advance in terms of ease of reading, and ease of reading is perhaps the single most important consideration in a reader.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Huh. I'll have to talk to my 950 and find out why it's not conforming.
not to the degree of glass capactive screens, sure you'll eventually have to wipe it down, but to think these screens pick up and show smudges on the level of a glass screen simply is not true.

Or stop reading while eating greasy foods. j/k
Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
A 50% contrast improvement is most definitely a "technology advancement", and the difference between the 2nd gen Vizplex and 3rd gen Pearl screens is dramatic, to my eyes. Again, this is perhaps a matter of personal perception, but to me this was a HUGE technology advance in terms of ease of reading, and ease of reading is perhaps the single most important consideration in a reader.
well I think we are going to have to agree to disagree agree, being able to sync your books across devices to me is a major techn. advancement. being able to plug my phone into my car's computer and have it give me a read out is technological advancement , Being able to lock up my house and turn on my security system , 10,000 miles away is a tech. advancement.

Giving me a better contrast ratio is nothing to pop open a bottle of the bubbly over. at least IMHO.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
not to the degree of glass capactive screens, sure you'll eventually have to wipe it down, but to think these screens pick up and show smudges on the level of a glass screen simply is not true.
I find fingerprints to be a significant issue with my PRS-350 - I always turn the page with the buttons for that reason. I also find the touch screen to be a lot less accurate. When I tap the screen to select a word on the PRS-350, half the time the wrong word gets selected; I far prefer the word highlight cursor of the Kindle.

Don't get me wrong - I can see the way that wind's blowing, and it's inevitable that the next-generation Kindle will use a touch-screen, but for me it won't be an improvement when it does so.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
boswd
Banned

again this will all be moot converstation come this summer or fall when and if the kindle introduces a full touch.

The question is and I'll admit I'm going to be very curious to the reacton of the kindle owners here. The ones who are saying this and that about touch and how the kindle's current form is the best etc etc.

will they all keep singing the same song or will the kindle touch become just awesome and "how did I ever think buttons were better"? Some how I think all of a sudden a touch kindle will just become "magical".