Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #3646
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm getting right fed up with my TicWatch telling me "It's time to get active!"
My Garmin Vivosmart HR watch kept annoying me with notices that told me I had achieved goals. I never set up any goals, so they must have been the defaults. I finally figured out how to shut off the notification for garbage like steps, stairs climbed, workout times, etc. Instead of congratulating me on reaching a goal for for exercising X number of minutes it should have been warning me that my heart rate was stuck on 110+ for 24 hours. I was lying in a hospital bed getting those stupid congratulations for goals achieved when I wasn't even doing anything! Worthless watch, except it does track my HR 24x7 so the docs can look at it, but otherwise useless. Apple seems to be the only one emphasizing health apps for their watches, but the Apple Watches are way out of my price range.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #3647
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Newly Released Amazon Patent Shows Just How Much Creepier Alexa Can Get

It's sure going to be hard to unplug all of my Echos.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #3648
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the patent application, the authors explain that your Echo device would only ever record between 10–30 seconds of audio at a time, before wiping it from the local memory buffer, and recording a new 10–30 seconds of audio over it (again and again).

In each of these 10–30 second recordings, the device would continuously scan looking for commands involving the wakeword, and if it didn't find any, they'd get deleted forever – in theory, at least.
This is not as bad as it initially sounded, assuming the servers never get to process the 10-30 second recordings unless the wake word is heard therein. It works similar to a black box on an airplane and continuously records over the previous time allotted recording. I’m okay with that if indeed they only send the short recording to the server when it hears the wake work. I really doubt Amazon would want every Alexa device to send recordings to their servers 24x7xForever. There is no way they could process nor store that much audio.

I’m more concerned about Alexa and similar competitive devices being hacked so some unauthorized person could listen to everything.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #3649
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wow. This club has really gone downhill! When did it become all Fearful and Bashy?

I was checking in to see if anyone else was experiencing any new connectivity issues with the Echo Dot. Same Dot, same network, same router and suddenly it's telling me it's "lost its connection" all the time.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-29-2019 at 12:55 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #3650
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon now lets you tell Alexa to delete your voice recordings

At last, a step in the right direction. Here's hoping Bezos' bozos keep it up.
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #3651
wodin
Illiterate

Introducing Echo Show 5 – Compact smart display with Alexa

What they don't talk about is all the spam that shows up randomly on my Echo Spot.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #3652
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was checking in to see if anyone else was experiencing any new connectivity issues with the Echo Dot. Same Dot, same network, same router and suddenly it's telling me it's "lost its connection" all the time.
No issues with my Dots (stereo pair). They're functioning just fine.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #3653
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the press release:

Amazon Introduces Echo Show 5—Compact Design, Rich Sound, and Built-In Camera Shutter—Just $89.99

Quote:
Alexa adds new features, including how-to videos from wikiHow, updated smart home controls, customizable morning and evening routines, new privacy features, and even more visual content

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 29, 2019-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Today, Amazon announced the newest addition to the Echo Show family—Echo Show 5. With its compact design, 5.5-inch display, rich sound, HD camera, and built-in camera shutter, Echo Show 5 lets Alexa show you things in every room of your home—all for only $89.99.

“Since we launched the first Echo Show device, customers have told us they love asking Alexa to show them things—whether it’s a recipe for banana bread, their shopping list, or music lyrics. With Echo Show 5, we’ve made it even easier and affordable for customers to add a smart display to every room of their house,” said Tom Taylor, Senior Vice President, Amazon Alexa. “The compact form factor is perfect for a bedside table or desk, plus it has a camera shutter for added peace of mind, and new Alexa privacy features for even more control.”
Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #3654
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Privacy by Design
Quote:
Echo devices are built with multiple layers of privacy protections. As with all Echo Show devices, the new Echo Show 5 includes a microphone/camera off button that electronically disconnects both the microphone and camera, and a clear visual indicator that shows when audio or video is streaming to the cloud. Plus, Echo Show 5 has a built-in camera shutter so you can easily cover the camera, while still being able to talk to Alexa.

Amazon is also introducing new, even easier ways to delete your voice recordings on all Alexa-enabled devices—simply say, “Alexa, delete everything I said today” and the respective recordings will be deleted. Coming soon, customers will also be able to delete their last request by saying, “Alexa, delete what I just said.” The new Alexa Privacy Hub also offers a single source of information on how Echo devices are designed and the controls you have over your Alexa experience.

Alexa and Echo devices are designed around your privacy
Quote:
Amazon designs Alexa and Echo devices with multiple layers of privacy protection. From microphone and camera controls to the ability to view and delete your voice recordings, you have transparency and control over your Alexa experience.

How do I know when my device is recording? Is Alexa always listening? Explore how Alexa and Echo devices work, and learn about the features and controls that protect your privacy.
Quote:
Alexa and Echo devices provide transparency and control

When you want to talk to Alexa, you have to first wake up your device by using the wake word (“Alexa”). Only then does the device begin recording and sending your request to Amazon's secure cloud.

All of your interactions with Alexa are encrypted in transit to Amazon’s cloud where they are securely stored.

You’ll always know when Alexa is recording and sending your request to Amazon’s secure cloud because a blue light indicator will appear or an audio tone will sound on your Echo device.

Echo smart speakers have a microphone off button that electronically disconnects the microphone.

On Echo devices with a screen, you can turn the camera and microphone off with one press of a button. On Echo Show 5, the built-in shutter also lets you easily cover the camera.

You can view, hear, and delete your voice recordings at Alexa Privacy Settings or in the Alexa app at any time. To delete by voice, you can also say, “Alexa, delete everything I said today.”
Old 05-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #3655
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

What they don't talk about is all the spam that shows up randomly on my Echo Spot.
Don’t have a spot, but using a FireTV is like that too. Way too much spam. Way too much of Amazon trying to sell me something that should be included in Prime, but isn’t. I guess maybe they were having trouble selling the full size Show for $239, so the introduced a smaller version for $89.

Too bad the security camera footage can only be viewed on them if you pay for a monthly cloud fee. They don’t allow you to stream security camera footage directly over your WiFi. Their cameras are too expensive plus require the cloud subscription. I use Amcrest cameras that are cheaper and better, plus I can stream footage via my WiFi network which is behind my firewall and I don’t have to worry about who is watching it outside of my network. I can view my security streams on my phones, tablets, and computers. Other than that I really don’t see much benefit to having an Alexa device with a screen because it just doesn’t do much on the screen.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #3656
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Connect with Family and Friends
Quote:
Stay in touch with your closest friends and family with hands-free video calls to those who have an Echo Spot or Echo Show device, the Alexa App, or Skype. Plus, with Echo Show 5 in multiple rooms of your home, you can easily drop in on another room or make an announcement that dinner is ready.
...you can easily drop in on another room...

Like a bedroom or bathroom???
Old 05-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #3657
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Connect with Family and Friends

...you can easily drop in on another room...

Like a bedroom or bathroom???
I use the drop in function all the time. It 'announces' that it has connected. We have a doorbell thingie in the bathroom. I have a very disabled brother here and it saves a lot of steps. While the intercom system isn't fabulous, it's good enough for a brief message. For longer ones, he uses the intercom on the portable phone.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #3658
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Pricing and Availability
Quote:
Echo Show 5 is available in Charcoal and Sandstone for $89.99. You can also choose to purchase a magnetic stand that lets you tilt the device to adjust viewing and camera angles for only $19.99. Both are available for pre-order today at www.amazon.com/echoshow5 and will start shipping in the U.S., United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia next month and to India in July. Coming soon, it will also be available in Mexico.

Quote:
Price: $89.99 -- This item will be released on June 26, 2019
  • Alexa can show you more – Compact 5.5” smart display ready to help manage your day, entertain at a glance, and connect you to friends and family
  • more...

Echo Show 5 Adjustable Stand
Quote:
Price: $19.99 -- This item will be released on June 26, 2019
  • Easily tilt your Echo Show 5 forward or backward to improve viewing angle
  • Quick and secure magnetic attachment
Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #3659
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
20 bucks for a piece of plastic? Someone is pulling a Microsoft...
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #3660
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Echo Show 5 Specs
  • Processor -- MediaTek MT 8163
  • Display -- 5.5” touchscreen | 960 x 480 | 195 ppi
  • Camera -- 1MP front facing | shutter on/off | mic/camera on/off
  • Mics -- 2 mic array | mic/camera on/off
  • Audio -- 1 x 1.65” 4W speaker | 3.5 mm stereo output | vol up | vol down
  • Wi-Fi -- dual-band (2.4 & 5 GHz) | 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
  • Bluetooth -- A2DP | AVRCP
  • Size -- 5.8” x 3.4” x 2.9” | 14.5 oz
  • Power -- 15W power adapter w/ 4.9 ft cable (included)
  • Warranty -- 1-year limited | optional 1-2-3 year warranties

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-29-2019 at 05:57 PM.