Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #211
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
if I check the same files with epubcheck outside of Sigil they validate and it seems unrelated to the file.
When you say "outside of Sigil," do you mean on the command-line with the local version of java you have installed on your machine (and the epubcheck included with the plugin)? Or do you you mean the online version of Epubcheck?

The former would probably be a better way of debugging what might be going on with the plugin.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-14-2019 at 08:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #212
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
Why would epubcheck not return a file name?.
Apparently there's a bug in the Usage module of EPUBCheck v4.2.1. If you activate the clipboard copy mode of the epubcheck plugin, you'll most likely find entries such as the following:

Quote:
USAGE(HTM-010): C:\Temp\tmp3ny_jhgg.epub(25,191): Namespace uri 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink' was found.
USAGE(HTM-010): C:\Temp\tmp3ny_jhgg.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(3,118): Namespace uri 'http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/' was found.
[...]
[...]
USAGE(HTM-010): C:\Temp\tmp3ny_jhgg.epub/OEBPS/Text/cover.xhtml(25,191): Namespace uri 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink' was found.
It's messages such as the message in the first line that caused this problem. It reported line and column numbers, but no file name. Also, the same message was later in the output repeated with a file name. I've added a updated version to the first post that should ignore such messages.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #213
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
When you say "outside of Sigil," do you mean on the command-line with the local version of java you have installed on your machine (and the epubcheck included with the plugin)? Or do you you mean the online version of Epubcheck?

The former would probably be a better way of debugging what might be going on with the plugin.
I meant locally, with the same install of epubcheck as used by the plugin. Haven't used the online validator in so long I kind of forgot it existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Apparently there's a bug in the Usage module of EPUBCheck v4.2.1. If you activate the clipboard copy mode of the epubcheck plugin, you'll most likely find entries such as the following:

It's messages such as the message in the first line that caused this problem. It reported line and column numbers, but no file name. Also, the same message was later in the output repeated with a file name. I've added a updated version to the first post that should ignore such messages.
Oh, brilliant, thanks so much for the speedy response and solution. It didn't seem like much of an issue since it seemed like a localised error unrelated to the actual code but it's nice to avoid unnecessary alarms.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #214
Linear Graphs
Servant of Christ
Linear Graphs began at the beginning.

Device: Google Play Books: Android 8, Motorola g6 play
Hey there.

I made an account just to ask this question.

I know very little about computers, and absolutly nothing about coding.

I'm using windows 10, with google chrome.

Sigil 9.14

I downloaded epubcheck 4.2.1

When I tried to add the plugin, I revived the error message:
Quote:
Error: Plugin not a valid Sigil plugin.
This is where i downloaded it:
https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck/releases/tag/v4.2.1

I'm not sure what's going on.
Linear Graphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #215
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linear Graphs View Post
This is where i downloaded it:
https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck/releases/tag/v4.2.1

I'm not sure what's going on.
What you downloaded is the standalone EPUBCheck version. You'll need to download the plugin from MR.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #216
Linear Graphs
Servant of Christ

I'm Back.

This is a link google drive link to the book I am trying to practice with called "Zetetic Astronomy"
https://drive.google.com/open?id=107...6Sb4TZ2CzjwjFA

Upon running the plugin on the book which I had opened in Sigil, I was met with this error:
Quote:

Running EPUBCheck v4.2.1... please wait.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\launcher.py", line 135, in launch
self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
File "C:\Users\Braden\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 387, in run
result = jarWrapper(*args)
File "C:\Users\Braden\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 27, in jarWrapper
process = Popen(args, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE, shell=False)
File "subprocess.py", line 775, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 1178, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
Error: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
When I sent the it to the website which validates ebooks with epubcheck for you, it said it had no errors.

I just want to be able to do it myself but due to my lack of knowledge i am unable to figure how to do certain things.

I hope my inquiries are not loathsome to anyone in this thread.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #217
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The plugin never actually got to the point of checking your epub. The plugin failed to run because it couldn't find the java executable on your system.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #218
Linear Graphs
Servant of Christ

This is unfortunate, what should I do?
Old 06-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #219
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linear Graphs View Post
This is unfortunate will be a learning experience, what should I do?
Read the first post in this thread which explains how to install everything. Carefully read the install instructions on the Oracle site for installing Java; it's not hard or tricky but read carefully. There are several versions of Java available; I stick with Java 8. The 64 bit one is a safe bet. Do a google search for download java for the correct Oracle page (java.com).

Last edited by lumpynose; 06-23-2019 at 03:37 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #220
Linear Graphs
Servant of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Read the first post in this thread which explains how to install everything. Carefully read the install instructions on the Oracle site for installing Java; it's not hard or tricky but read carefully. There are several versions of Java available; I stick with Java 8. The 64 bit one is a safe bet. Do a google search for download java for the correct Oracle page (java.com).
Downloaded Java, everything worked perfectly!

Thank you all very much!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 AM   #221
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Python error on first run - SSL certificate verify failed

I'm behind on this plugin and installed the latest version today (v0.4.1.4).

On first run, I was startled to get a python error — something about SSL certificate verify failed. See screenshot.

The plugin then proceeded to run successfully, and it continues to run fine thereafter. The error occurs only on first run.

I suspect this has something to do with my Mac, which is running macOS 10.13.6.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there something I should do? Should I go back to an earlier version of the plugin that does not trigger this error on first-run? Or is this safe to ignore?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epubcheck-python-error.png
Views:	135
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	172328  
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 AM   #222
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
On first run, I was startled to get a python error — something about SSL certificate verify failed. See screenshot.
This error was displayed by the update checker, because the connection to the GitHub website failed. macOS Users reported a similar SSL error for older Sigil versions:

Quote:
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:645)
However, your error refers to different line (_ssl.c:1056) and cause:

Quote:
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1056)
According to StackOverflow, double-clicking Install Certificates.command in your Applications/Python 3.x folder might fix this problem, if you're using an external Python interpreter. However, I don't know if it'll also work for the bundled interpreter.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 AM   #223
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
This error was displayed by the update checker, because the connection to the GitHub website failed.
Ah. Would it then be safe to ignore the error and make "github":false to stop the plugin from trying to connect to GitHub in the future? Any security issues if I do this?

Quote:
According to StackOverflow, double-clicking Install Certificates.command in your Applications/Python 3.x folder might fix this problem, if you're using an external Python interpreter. However, I don't know if it'll also work for the bundled interpreter.
I am using the bundled python. Also, my Mac has 2.7.10 (the default python that comes with macOS 10.13) and it seems not as simple as double-clicking Install Certificates.command. The second answer in this StackOverflow thread suggests putting the additional certificates in a PEM bundle file, which is a bit outside my skill set, though I could try to figure it out if it's necessary for the EpubCheck plugin. But if it's safe to simply ignore the error and do "github":false, I'd rather do that.

Thank you!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #224
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But if it's safe to simply ignore the error and do "github":false, I'd rather do that.
For the time being simply use "github":false, to disable the update check.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #225
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I will look into this. My guess is this has to deal with missing certificates. Older Macs had OpenSSL-1.0 installed and its default older certificates. Newer Macs do not have easy access to openssl. So I compile and statically link openssl into Python 3.7. I can not recreate this bug on my machine as I have full Openssl 1.1.1. I will look into the best way to handle this for newer machines that no longer have access to native apple OpenSSL installations.

Kevin

Quote:
I'm behind on this plugin and installed the latest version today (v0.4.1.4).

The plugin then proceeded to run successfully, and it continues to run fine thereafter. The error occurs only on first run.

I suspect this has something to do with my Mac, which is running macOS 10.13.6.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there something I should do? Should I go back to an earlier version of the plugin that does not trigger this error on first-run? Or is this safe to ignore?

Thank you!

Last edited by KevinH; 07-10-2019 at 09:52 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote